-   -   KDE 4 unable to lock screen or switch user (http://www.linux-archive.org/kubuntu-user/49724-kde-4-unable-lock-screen-switch-user.html)

Chris Gow 02-07-2008 05:09 PM

KDE 4 unable to lock screen or switch user

Hi all:

Running KDE 4 on Kubuntu 7.10 I can not lock the session, nor can I switch
users. Attempting to lock the session blanks the screen and presents me with
a dialog that says: Unable to lock the session, reason: No appropriate
greeter configured. Where do I configure said greeter?

When I attempt to switch users, I get presented with the runner applet. Not
quite what I had in mind.

thanks

-- chris

"Andrew Jarrett" 02-07-2008 11:46 PM

On Feb 7, 2008 1:09 PM, Chris Gow <sniffy@rogers.com> wrote:
> Hi all:
>
> Running KDE 4 on Kubuntu 7.10 I can not lock the session, nor can I switch
> users. Attempting to lock the session blanks the screen and presents me with
> a dialog that says: Unable to lock the session, reason: No appropriate
> greeter configured. Where do I configure said greeter?
>
> When I attempt to switch users, I get presented with the runner applet. Not
> quite what I had in mind.
>
> thanks
>
> -- chris

sudo apt-get install kdm-kde4

When installing the package, it should ask you what default kdm to
use. I chose the new one and upon restarting, couldn't log in. You
may want to try the new one to see if it will work. If you try
kdm-kde4 and it doesn't work then you should restart in recovery mode
and type this in your shell:

sudo apt-get remove kdm-kde4
sudo apt-get install kdm-kde4

When given the option to choose which default kdm to use, choose "kdm"
and not "kdm-kde4". User switching and screen locking is working for
me without kdm-kde4 being the default.

HTH,
Andrew

--
45 5F E1 04 22 CA 29 C4 93 3F 95 05 2B 79 2A B2