Old 02-27-2011, 01:41 PM
Helder Terra

Default Problems in Kubuntu's loading screen

I've recently installed a new video card, a Nvidia 7200GS and my Kubuntu
10.10 drivers worked perfectly.

But ever since I've installed it, the system loading screen (the blue
one with the Kubuntu logo) doesn't seem to recognize the video drivers.
It shows only a rough blue screen with Kubuntu wrtitten on it, as if the
video drivers hadn't been installed at all.

Once it gets to the login screen, though, the video driver works fine
and there's no problem. Again, when I give the shutdow command, the blue
screen goes as if there were no video drivers installed.

Anyone with a similar problem?

Thanks,

Helder Terra

Old 02-28-2011, 02:50 AM
"Alan Dacey Sr."

On Sunday, February 27, 2011 09:41:18 am Helder Terra wrote:
> I've recently installed a new video card, a Nvidia 7200GS and my Kubuntu
> 10.10 drivers worked perfectly.
>
> But ever since I've installed it, the system loading screen (the blue
> one with the Kubuntu logo) doesn't seem to recognize the video drivers.
> It shows only a rough blue screen with Kubuntu wrtitten on it, as if the
> video drivers hadn't been installed at all.
>
> Once it gets to the login screen, though, the video driver works fine
> and there's no problem. Again, when I give the shutdow command, the blue
> screen goes as if there were no video drivers installed.
>
> Anyone with a similar problem?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Helder Terra

Yeah it looks really ugly, doesn't it? Its got something do with some customization that Ubuntu does. There is a fix though.
Install v86d and hwinfo then follow the instructions from [1] or [2]. You use the hwinfo command to find out the possible resolutions of your screen.
Basically you have to edit a grub file then tell your Kubuntu to use it. I've used it on multiple machines and it works.

[1] http://www.snippety.org/articles/2010/10/11/fix-plymouth-boot-splash-on-ubuntu-10-10-maverick-meerkat/
[2] http://nerdlogger.com/2010/11/01/fixing-plymouth-boot-splash-in-ubuntu-10-10-aka-maverick-meerkat/

Alan

Old 02-28-2011, 10:37 AM
"Helder Terra"

Thanks Alan,

I've just went throught your [1] solution and it worked fine.

Helder Terra