Old 02-07-2008, 10:19 AM
Bas Roufs

Default Synaptic: option "Add downloaded packages" does not work. Your feedback, please!

Hello Ulrich, Hello Everybody
> I looked at my Synaptic with the same option "Add downloaded
> packages" and I get the same 'error'. Now it came to me that this
> option is intended only for installing .deb-files that way.

After reading your comments, I did another attempt to fix the problem.
Synaptic suggests the following when using the FILE menu: you can make
a list ('script') of 'downloaded packages' via the option "select
downloaded packages", so that you can 'download the selected packages'
on a different computer. Today, I chose the option 'STATUS' at the left
menu of Synaptic. Then, I selected the sub option 'downloaded packages'.
After doing so, I generated the 'downloaded packages script' in the way
described above. Then, I copied the script to a USB stick and from that
stick to the home directory of another (laptop) computer, where I
already installed Kubuntu 7.10 and Synaptic. I opened Synaptic there
after giving my administrative password. I chose the main menu 'FILE'
again and there 'Add downloaded packages': an option meant to "add
packages" to the system downloaded via the 'generate downloaded
packages script feature'. But the problem remains the same: I do
vaguely see the name of the downloaded packages script file as well as
the names of some other files in the same folder, but I can simply not
access anyone of them. In other words: because of some strange reason,
Synaptic in the laptop is not able to carry out the download
instructions generated by the exactly the same software package within
the same OS at the desktop.

> For me it works if I use the uppermost option 'Vorgemerkte Änderungen
> einlesen' (German), the option with the directory symbol.Hope that
> this works.

You are pointing at the option FILE >> 'read markings' (Vorgemerkte
Änderungen einlesen). Indeed, I did manage to properly see and 'open'
the downloaded packages script via 'read markings'. Afterwords, I
repeated the same procedure via 'Add downloaded packages' - but still
fruitlessly. 'Opening' the downloaded packages script file like this did
NOT result in setting into motion an automatic download and
installation process.

So, my question is STILL: in which way is it possible to make the 'Add
downloaded packages' option effective????!!!!

Your feedback, please!

Respectfully Yours,

Bas.

--