Old 02-24-2011, 09:23 PM
Homer

Default Shutdown pauses when others are connected

Kubuntu 10.04

I've noticed a new "feature" recently. If I ssh into machine "B" from
machine "A" and then walk over to machine "B" and execute a shutdown,
I get a message notifying me another person is logged in from machine
"A." The message asks if the shutdown should be canceled or
continued. I'd like to set the default to shutdown with no
consideration of other connections. How can I accomplish this?

Old 02-24-2011, 10:22 PM
Bruce Marshall

On Thursday, February 24, 2011, Homer wrote:
> I've noticed a new "feature" recently. If I ssh into machine "B" from
> machine "A" and then walk over to machine "B" and execute a shutdown,
> I get a message notifying me another person is logged in from machine
> "A." The message asks if the shutdown should be canceled or
> continued. I'd like to set the default to shutdown with no
> consideration of other connections. How can I accomplish this?

Why not just issue the shutdown from machine A while you are ssh'd.

Save yourself the walk and the 'irritation'.

Old 02-25-2011, 03:45 PM
Homer

On Thu, Feb 24, 2011 at 4:22 PM, Bruce Marshall <bmarsh@bmarsh.com> wrote:
> On Thursday, February 24, 2011, Homer wrote:
>> I've noticed a new "feature" recently. *If I ssh into machine "B" from
>> machine "A" and then walk over to machine "B" and execute a shutdown,
>> I get a message notifying me another person is logged in from machine
>> "A." *The message asks if the shutdown should be canceled or
>> continued. *I'd like to set the default to shutdown with no
>> consideration of other connections. *How can I accomplish this?
>
> Why not just issue the shutdown from machine A while you are ssh'd.
> Save yourself the walk and the 'irritation'.

My example is to illustrate the issue I'd like to address. It is not
meant as an exact representation of my actual computer
placement/location/configuration.

The text in the message window I get when rebooting is:

Restart Computer
Abort Active Sessions:
Session
use: TTY login
OK Cancel

I've been poking around the system config settings and have not found
a way to turn off this behavior. It must be there. If it were a
snake, I suspect I'd be bit by now.

Old 02-25-2011, 03:58 PM
"Raymond A. Meijer"

The text in the message window I get when rebooting is:

Restart Computer

Abort Active Sessions:

Session

use: TTY login

OK *Cancel

But that's a console login, right? Not an SSH session...

Ray*
--
Raymond A. Meijer

You cannot discover new oceans
unless you have the courage to
lose sight of the shore

Old 02-25-2011, 04:06 PM
Homer

On Fri, Feb 25, 2011 at 10:58 AM, Raymond A. Meijer <rameijer@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 25 February 2011 18:45, Homer <fsunoles@gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> The text in the message window I get when rebooting is:
>>
>> Restart Computer
>> Abort Active Sessions:
>> Session
>> use: TTY login
>> OK *Cancel
>
> But that's a console login, right? Not an SSH session...

Right. As the other person suggested, if while sitting at "A" and
logged into "B" I then issue a "shutdown -r now" command, machine B
will reboot. If instead I log in as just described, then walk over to
B and shutdown using "K -> Leave -> Restart" I get the message box
described in my previous post.

I found some discussion on this on the bug lists, but those
discussions related to the timing of the message, not how to disable
it. It does seem to be buggish as the message occurs well into the
shutdown process, and selecting cancel requires entering the password
again.

Old 02-25-2011, 05:02 PM
Bruce Marshall

On Friday, February 25, 2011, Homer wrote:
> > But that's a console login, right? Not an SSH session...
>
> Right. As the other person suggested, if while sitting at "A" and
> logged into "B" I then issue a "shutdown -r now" command, machine B
> will reboot. If instead I log in as just described, then walk over to
> B and shutdown using "K -> Leave -> Restart" I get the message box
> described in my previous post.
>
> I found some discussion on this on the bug lists, but those
> discussions related to the timing of the message, not how to disable
> it. It does seem to be buggish as the message occurs well into the
> shutdown process, and selecting cancel requires entering the password
> again.

So why do you want to negate what is obviously a protection against shutting
down a machine that has 'users' logged in??

Linux is, after all, a multi-user system.

(just think Windows.... "Do you really want to do this??") Just kidding.

Old 02-25-2011, 06:08 PM
Homer

On Fri, Feb 25, 2011 at 11:02 AM, Bruce Marshall <bmarsh@bmarsh.com> wrote:
> On Friday, February 25, 2011, Homer wrote:
>> > But that's a console login, right? Not an SSH session...
>>
>> Right. *As the other person suggested, if while sitting at "A" and
>> logged into "B" I then issue a "shutdown -r now" command, machine B
>> will reboot. *If instead I log in as just described, then walk over to
>> B and shutdown using "K -> Leave -> Restart" I get the message box
>> described in my previous post.
>>
>> I found some discussion on this on the bug lists, but those
>> discussions related to the timing of the message, not how to disable
>> it. *It does seem to be buggish as the message occurs well into the
>> shutdown process, and selecting cancel requires entering the password
>> again.
>
> So why do you want to negate what is obviously a protection against shutting
> down a machine that has 'users' logged in??
>
> Linux is, after all, a multi-user system.
>
> (just think Windows.... *"Do you really want to do this??") *Just kidding.

I'm the only user that will ever be on these machines. Unless I'm no
longer employed here, then the next person will be the only user. Do
you know how to disable this feature?

Old 02-25-2011, 06:20 PM
Bruce Marshall

On Friday, February 25, 2011, Homer wrote:
> I'm the only user that will ever be on these machines. Unless I'm no
> longer employed here, then the next person will be the only user. Do
> you know how to disable this feature?

Fine, then tell the developers that you need your own version of a single-user
linux. I think you are picking at nits.

Old 02-25-2011, 06:57 PM
Homer

On Fri, Feb 25, 2011 at 12:20 PM, Bruce Marshall <bmarsh@bmarsh.com> wrote:
> On Friday, February 25, 2011, Homer wrote:
>> I'm the only user that will ever be on these machines. *Unless I'm no
>> longer employed here, then the next person will be the only user. *Do
>> you know how to disable this feature?
>
> Fine, then tell the developers that you need your own version of a single-user
> linux. * I think you are picking at nits.

Wow. I'm guessing like most things Linux, there is an option to turn
it off. I don't know how. Maybe someone here does, or can confirm
there is no option to turn it off.

Old 02-28-2011, 04:40 AM
Michael Hirsch

On Fri, Feb 25, 2011 at 12:20 PM, Bruce Marshall <bmarsh@bmarsh.com> wrote:
> On Friday, February 25, 2011, Homer wrote:
>> I'm the only user that will ever be on these machines. *Unless I'm no
>> longer employed here, then the next person will be the only user. *Do
>> you know how to disable this feature?
>
> Fine, then tell the developers that you need your own version of a single-user
> linux. * I think you are picking at nits.

No, he's not. When a user has a desired behavior to tell that that
they are wrong is counterproductive. Just because Linux may be
potentially multiuser, doesn't mean it is for everyone. My wife's
computer is single user, my kids computers are single user. Even my
computer is single user, most of the time.

When I tell my computer to shutdown (usually by hitting CTRL-ATL-DEL
in KDE then hitting return, that is what I expect it to do. I don't
like coming back to it the next evening and discovering that it didn't
shut down because a) I had lagged in remotely from work, or b) I
logged in on a VC.

Apparently some people would like the computer to stay on forever in
that circumstance. That is fine with me. But I know a fairly large
number of people who would like to set an option to have the machine
shut down when it is told to.

This is a pretty common complaint, and I have yet to see an answer to it.

Michael