Old 02-22-2011, 12:39 AM
Larry Alkoff

Default How do I use Kubuntu restricted extras?

Using Kubuntu 10.04 LTS.

I recently went to
http://appnr.com/package/kubuntu-restricted-extras
and downloaded the file
/usr/share/app-install/desktop/kubuntu-restricted-extras.desktop

It isn't in the repositories or /etc/apt/menu.list
and there is no man page.
Do I use apt-get?

How do I use this?

Old 02-22-2011, 01:22 AM

> Using Kubuntu 10.04 LTS.
>
> I recently went to
> http://appnr.com/package/kubuntu-restricted-extras
> and downloaded the file
> /usr/share/app-install/desktop/kubuntu-restricted-extras.desktop
>
> It isn't in the repositories or /etc/apt/menu.list
> and there is no man page.
> Do I use apt-get?
>
> How do I use this?

Kubuntu-restricted-extras is a so-called meta-package, which basically
causes a set of other pre-defined packages to be installed.

http://packages.ubuntu.com/lucid/kubuntu-restricted-extras
The packages listed on this page are what is also installed when
installing this package. You get the Flash plugin installer, some
audio/video codecs,an installer for some MS fonts, and rar support for
Ark, as well as a couple of other items

clay