Old 02-21-2011, 05:03 PM
Michael Hirsch

Default OpenOffice can't save to a directory with # in the name

I just solved a tricky problem with OpenOffice. I'm writing this
email for two reasons. First, it might help someone else with the
same trouble. Second, I'd like to file a bug and I need advice as to
where to file it.

My wife has a directory named "Troop #441". Every time she save a
file to that directory it ended up in her home dir in a file named
"Troop". Actually, I think it was named "Troop " but that took a
while to figure out.

I finally found that it was the pound sign "#" in the directory name.
There is something wrong with saving to such a directory.

Some more experimenting showed that it was only when using the KDE
dialogs in OO. When I switch to using only the OO dialogs
(Tools->Options->General and click "Use OpenOffice dialogs") the
problem went away. Of course, now she has ugly dialogs, but at least
they work.

So my question is where do I file this bug. It appears to be in the
implementation of the KDE dialogs in OO. Who does that? Where is the
bug DB?

Thanks,

Michael

Old 02-21-2011, 05:28 PM
Reinhold Rumberger

On Montag 21 Februar 2011, 19:03:31, Michael Hirsch wrote:
> I just solved a tricky problem with OpenOffice. I'm writing this
> email for two reasons. First, it might help someone else with the
> same trouble. Second, I'd like to file a bug and I need advice as to
> where to file it.
>
> My wife has a directory named "Troop #441". Every time she save a
> file to that directory it ended up in her home dir in a file named
> "Troop". Actually, I think it was named "Troop " but that took a
> while to figure out.
>
> I finally found that it was the pound sign "#"

That would be a hash sign - this is the pound sign: £
:-P

> in the directory name.
> There is something wrong with saving to such a directory.
>
> Some more experimenting showed that it was only when using the KDE
> dialogs in OO. When I switch to using only the OO dialogs
> (Tools->Options->General and click "Use OpenOffice dialogs") the
> problem went away. Of course, now she has ugly dialogs, but at least
> they work.
>
> So my question is where do I file this bug. It appears to be in the
> implementation of the KDE dialogs in OO. Who does that? Where is the
> bug DB?

Well, like anything else *buntu, try launchpad.net. (Actually, from a terminal
window type "ubuntu-bug openoffice.org".)

--Reinhold

Old 02-22-2011, 02:39 AM
Michael Hirsch

On Mon, Feb 21, 2011 at 11:28 AM, Reinhold Rumberger <rrumberger@web.de> wrote:
> On Montag 21 Februar 2011, 19:03:31, Michael Hirsch wrote:
>> I just solved a tricky problem with OpenOffice. *I'm writing this
>> email for two reasons. *First, it might help someone else with the
>> same trouble. *Second, I'd like to file a bug and I need advice as to
>> where to file it.
>>
>> My wife has a directory named "Troop #441". *Every time she save a
>> file to that directory it ended up in her home dir in a file named
>> "Troop". *Actually, I think it was named "Troop " but that took a
>> while to figure out.
>>
>> I finally found that it was the pound sign "#"
>> in the directory name.
>> There is something wrong with saving to such a directory.
>>
>> Some more experimenting showed that it was only when using the KDE
>> dialogs in OO. *When I switch to using only the OO dialogs
>> (Tools->Options->General and click "Use OpenOffice dialogs") the
>> problem went away. *Of course, now she has ugly dialogs, but at least
>> they work.
>>
>> So my question is where do I file this bug. *It appears to be in the
>> implementation of the KDE dialogs in OO. *Who does that? *Where is the
>> bug DB?
>
> Well, like anything else *buntu, try launchpad.net. (Actually, from a terminal
> window type "ubuntu-bug openoffice.org".)

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/openoffice.org/+bug/722941

Thanks,

Michael

Old 02-25-2011, 04:51 PM
Valter Mura

In data marted́ 22 febbraio 2011 04:39:56, Michael Hirsch ha scritto:

> > Well, like anything else *buntu, try launchpad.net. (Actually, from a
> > terminal window type "ubuntu-bug openoffice.org".)
>
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/openoffice.org/+bug/722941

I suggest to you to file a bug also to OpenOffice.org

--
Valter
Kubuntu Linux: www.kubuntu.org

Old 02-28-2011, 04:33 AM
Michael Hirsch

On Fri, Feb 25, 2011 at 10:51 AM, Valter Mura <valtermura@gmail.com> wrote:
> In data marted́ 22 febbraio 2011 04:39:56, Michael Hirsch ha scritto:
>
>> > Well, like anything else *buntu, try launchpad.net. (Actually, from a
>> > terminal window type "ubuntu-bug openoffice.org".)
>>
>> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/openoffice.org/+bug/722941
>>

> I suggest to you to file a bug also to OpenOffice.org

I would, but I'd really like to know who builds the KDE adapter for OO
that makes OO use the KDE menus. I'm pretty sure that is where the
problem lies, but I'm not convinced that OO actually controls that
code. Is it OO or KDE or Ubuntu, or someone else?

Thanks,

Michael

Old 02-28-2011, 06:13 AM
Nils Kassube

Michael Hirsch wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 25, 2011 at 10:51 AM, Valter Mura <valtermura@gmail.com>
wrote:

> >> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/openoffice.org/+bug/7229
> >> 41
> >
> > I suggest to you to file a bug also to OpenOffice.org
>
> I would, but I'd really like to know who builds the KDE adapter for
> OO that makes OO use the KDE menus. I'm pretty sure that is where
> the problem lies, but I'm not convinced that OO actually controls
> that code. Is it OO or KDE or Ubuntu, or someone else?

Maybe this is what you are looking for:

~/ > apt-cache show openoffice.org-kde|grep Homepage
Homepage: http://www.go-oo.org
Homepage: http://www.go-oo.org

Nils