Old 02-20-2011, 09:24 PM
Neil Winchurst

Default External drives

I have been told that a good idea for back-ups is to use an external
hard drive. Do they all work with Kubuntu and does anyone have any
helpful suggestions please? There are so many on the market it is very
confusing.

TIA

Neil

Old 02-20-2011, 09:39 PM
Clay Weber

On Sunday, February 20, 2011 05:24:49 PM Neil Winchurst wrote:
> I have been told that a good idea for back-ups is to use an external
> hard drive. Do they all work with Kubuntu and does anyone have any
> helpful suggestions please? There are so many on the market it is very
> confusing.
>
> TIA
>
> Neil

Yes, any of them should work just wine. Though some may come with windows-
based backup helper software installed, they amount to really, really big
thumb drives as far as Kubuntu is concerned They probably are all formatted
in FAT32 so it is just a matter of plugging it in and having it show in the
device notifier

clay

Old 02-20-2011, 10:29 PM
Jerry Lapham

On Sunday, February 20, 2011 05:24:49 pm Neil Winchurst wrote:

> I have been told that a good idea for back-ups is to use an external
> hard drive. Do they all work with Kubuntu and does anyone have any
> helpful suggestions please?

Any USB drive should work. One caution: If you're wanting it for protection
against power surges, lightning strikes, etc., don't leave it plugged in to
power and your computer when you're not using it.

-Jerry