Old 02-17-2011, 04:22 PM
Homer

Default VNC with reduced color depth

Kubuntu 10.04

I want to establish a connection with VNC to :0 using a reduced color
depth. My connections will be via modems, so I'm trying to speed
things up as much as possible. The screen resolution of the remote
machines is set to 800x600 and I'd like my VNC connection to be at a
color depth of 8 or 16. I don't want to set the color depth on the
remote machines that low as I sometimes sit in front of them. Closest
I've found so far is tightvnc, but that doesn't allow connections to
:0.

Old 02-18-2011, 09:38 PM
Homer

On Thu, Feb 17, 2011 at 10:22 AM, Homer <fsunoles@gmail.com> wrote:
> Kubuntu 10.04
>
> I want to establish a connection with VNC to :0 using a reduced color
> depth. *My connections will be via modems, so I'm trying to speed
> things up as much as possible. *The screen resolution of the remote
> machines is set to 800x600 and I'd like my VNC connection to be at a
> color depth of 8 or 16. *I don't want to set the color depth on the
> remote machines that low as I sometimes sit in front of them. *Closest
> I've found so far is tightvnc, but that doesn't allow connections to
> :0.

Took me a couple of days to figure out a solution. vncviewer has an
option called -depth that by the description is exactly what I am
after. I was never able to get it to work. There is another option,
-bgr233, that sets the color depth to 8-bit. That works. Time to
move on...