-   -   how to get rid of the taskbar in kde4 ? (kicker) (http://www.linux-archive.org/kubuntu-user/49015-how-get-rid-taskbar-kde4-kicker.html)

Girard Henri 02-06-2008 07:45 PM

how to get rid of the taskbar in kde4 ? (kicker)

I would like to get rid of the kiker (kde4 plasma) to install
avant-window-navigator
is there a way of doing it ?
regards
Henri

"Mario Spinthiras" 02-06-2008 08:31 PM

how to get rid of the taskbar in kde4 ? (kicker)

kicker you mean ? killall -9 kicker ?

Regards,
Mario A. Spinthiras
Nicosia , Cyprus
Blog: http://www.blupenguin.com
Mail: mario@blupenguin.com

Skype: smario125

"Andrew Jarrett" 02-07-2008 01:19 AM

On Feb 6, 2008 4:31 PM, Mario Spinthiras <mspinthiras@gmail.com> wrote:
> kicker you mean ? killall -9 kicker ?

KDE4 doesn't use kicker it uses plasma for the main panel. From what
I can tell, you would have to kill plasma, which would kill the whole
desktop. At this point in the game, I don't think KDE4 has the
options to implement the features the OP wants. Maybe by 4.1 most
configuration options for the panels will be implemented. Anyway, I
thought that Avant Window Manager was an alternative to KDE and GNOME
and not something that could be run inside KDE.

Andrew

--
45 5F E1 04 22 CA 29 C4 93 3F 95 05 2B 79 2A B2

"Jussi Schultink" 02-07-2008 05:51 AM

On Feb 7, 2008 4:19 AM, Andrew Jarrett <jarrett.andrew@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Feb 6, 2008 4:31 PM, Mario Spinthiras <mspinthiras@gmail.com> wrote:
> > kicker you mean ? killall -9 kicker ?
>
> KDE4 doesn't use kicker it uses plasma for the main panel. From what
> I can tell, you would have to kill plasma, which would kill the whole
> desktop. At this point in the game, I don't think KDE4 has the
> options to implement the features the OP wants. Maybe by 4.1 most
> configuration options for the panels will be implemented. Anyway, I
> thought that Avant Window Manager was an alternative to KDE and GNOME
> and not something that could be run inside KDE.
>
> Andrew
>
> --
> 45 5F E1 04 22 CA 29 C4 93 3F 95 05 2B 79 2A B2

The panel is just another plasmoid on the desktop as far as I
understand, so it should be able to be removed. Also Andrew, Avant
Window Navigator is a a dock similar to an apple dock that can be
inserted into most desktop environments.

Jussi

Girard Henri 02-07-2008 07:02 AM

how to get rid of the taskbar in kde4 ? (kicker)

kicker for kde3 but I think the name is not kicker for kde4 (maybe
plasma taskbar ?) the big one black down ?
because apparently avant-window-navigator can only be down
on kde3 no problem..

Girard Henri 02-07-2008 07:08 AM

how to get rid of the taskbar in kde4 ? (kicker)

I fear one would answer this ... lol
I only use avant window navigator for menu
in kde4 the big black bar is not really "beauty"
and with a 15" screen there is not much left !!! lol
gnome and kde3 works fine with AWN so i get kde4 would do it too
and have the best looking with bespin style very nice

Girard Henri 02-07-2008 07:16 AM

how to get rid of the taskbar in kde4 ? (kicker)

thanks to explain better what I mean
but i tried to kill plasma bar and apparently it's more than a plamoid
because my screen went back ?
awn is apple like 3d bar ...
and it beautifull on kde3 and gnome
so that's why i guess it could be put on kde4
but first get rid of the black bar down
I remenber the first kde4 loose itself the bar ! lol

"Andrew Jarrett" 02-07-2008 07:29 AM

On 2/7/08, Jussi Schultink <jussi01@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Feb 7, 2008 4:19 AM, Andrew Jarrett <jarrett.andrew@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Feb 6, 2008 4:31 PM, Mario Spinthiras <mspinthiras@gmail.com> wrote:
> > > kicker you mean ? killall -9 kicker ?
> >
> > KDE4 doesn't use kicker it uses plasma for the main panel. From what
> > I can tell, you would have to kill plasma, which would kill the whole
> > desktop. At this point in the game, I don't think KDE4 has the
> > options to implement the features the OP wants. Maybe by 4.1 most
> > configuration options for the panels will be implemented. Anyway, I
> > thought that Avant Window Manager was an alternative to KDE and GNOME
> > and not something that could be run inside KDE.
> >
> > Andrew
> >
> > --
> > 45 5F E1 04 22 CA 29 C4 93 3F 95 05 2B 79 2A B2
> >

> > --
> >

> The panel is just another plasmoid on the desktop as far as I
> understand, so it should be able to be removed.

The panel _should_ be another plasmoid, but as far as I can tell (I am
using KDE4 right now) it isn't possible to remove the panel. However,
it is possible to remove everything on the panel, but I have not found
the way to delete the panel (or even move or resize it --
right-clicking the empty panel does nothing). It might be possible to
do it manually though (see bottom of email).

> Also Andrew, Avant
> Window Navigator is a a dock similar to an apple dock that can be
> inserted into most desktop environments.
>
> Jussi

Oh, Avant Window _Navigator_ not _Manager_. That makes much more sense now.

For the OP:
I just decided to muck about in .kde4 and it looks like I may have
found a way to remove the panel. Check the file
~/.kde4/share/config/plasma-appletsrc. Search the file for "panel"
and play around with that section to see if you can remove it (I would
first start with deleting the section and then relogging
(necessary?)). Make sure you make a backup so you can restore the
file if anything goes wrong. I hope this is a step in the right
direction; it may be more difficult than this.

Andrew

--
45 5F E1 04 22 CA 29 C4 93 3F 95 05 2B 79 2A B2

Girard Henri 02-07-2008 09:15 AM

how to get rid of the taskbar in kde4 ? (kicker)

right :) you got it
Following your advice I put # in front of panel
and started again
only the applets where on the screen I deleted them
but i think one can improve this...
now i have AWN working
thanks for your help :)

"Andrew Jarrett" 02-07-2008 04:08 PM

On Feb 7, 2008 5:15 AM, Girard Henri <girardhenri@free.fr> wrote:
> right :) you got it
> Following your advice I put # in front of panel
> and started again
> only the applets where on the screen I deleted them
> but i think one can improve this...
> now i have AWN working
> thanks for your help :)

No problem. I normally wouldn't have figured something like that out,
but it was about 3:30 am and I wasn't thinking normally :^)

Andrew

--
45 5F E1 04 22 CA 29 C4 93 3F 95 05 2B 79 2A B2