Old 02-16-2011, 09:03 AM
Paul Stear

Default 2 screen settings

Hi,
I have 2 screens set up side by side on the kde system settings-monitors.
The problem is that on a reboot the configuration is lost and I have to set them
up again using the kde systems settings.
Do I need to do anything else so that the configuration just happens on reboot?
thanks for your time
Paul
--
This email has been sent using kmail on kubuntu

Old 02-16-2011, 12:04 PM
Alvin

On Wednesday 16 February 2011 11:03:50 Paul Stear wrote:
> Hi,
> I have 2 screens set up side by side on the kde system settings-monitors.
> The problem is that on a reboot the configuration is lost and I have to set
> them up again using the kde systems settings.
> Do I need to do anything else so that the configuration just happens on
> reboot? thanks for your time

Yes, you need to find out the correct xrandr command to set up your monitors.
Find out[1] what command that is and put it in /etc/kde4/kdm/Xsetup

For example, these are the lines I have:
xrandr --output VGA1 --mode 1366x768
xrandr --output LVDS1 --mode 1360x768

[1] http://wiki.debian.org/XStrikeForce/HowToRandR12

Old 02-17-2011, 09:14 AM
Paul Stear

On Wednesday 16 Feb 2011 13:04:18 Alvin wrote:
> On Wednesday 16 February 2011 11:03:50 Paul Stear wrote:
> > Hi,
> > I have 2 screens set up side by side on the kde system settings-monitors.
> > The problem is that on a reboot the configuration is lost and I have to
> > set them up again using the kde systems settings.
> > Do I need to do anything else so that the configuration just happens on
> > reboot? thanks for your time
>
> Yes, you need to find out the correct xrandr command to set up your
> monitors. Find out[1] what command that is and put it in
> /etc/kde4/kdm/Xsetup
>
> For example, these are the lines I have:
> xrandr --output VGA1 --mode 1366x768
> xrandr --output LVDS1 --mode 1360x768
>
> [1] http://wiki.debian.org/XStrikeForce/HowToRandR12
This is the entry I made but it didn't work, I never got the sign in screen.
xrandr --output VGA-1 --mode 1280x1024+0+0
xrandr --output DVI-I-1 --mode 1280x1024+1280+0
Any other ideas?
paul
--
This email has been sent using kmail on kubuntu

Old 02-17-2011, 09:50 AM
Isak Enström

On Thursday 17 February 2011 11.14.20 Paul Stear wrote:
> On Wednesday 16 Feb 2011 13:04:18 Alvin wrote:
> > On Wednesday 16 February 2011 11:03:50 Paul Stear wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > > I have 2 screens set up side by side on the kde system
> > > settings-monitors. The problem is that on a reboot the configuration
> > > is lost and I have to set them up again using the kde systems
> > > settings.
> > > Do I need to do anything else so that the configuration just happens on
> > > reboot? thanks for your time
> >
> > Yes, you need to find out the correct xrandr command to set up your
> > monitors. Find out[1] what command that is and put it in
> > /etc/kde4/kdm/Xsetup
> >
> > For example, these are the lines I have:
> > xrandr --output VGA1 --mode 1366x768
> > xrandr --output LVDS1 --mode 1360x768
> >
> > [1] http://wiki.debian.org/XStrikeForce/HowToRandR12
>
> This is the entry I made but it didn't work, I never got the sign in
> screen. xrandr --output VGA-1 --mode 1280x1024+0+0
> xrandr --output DVI-I-1 --mode 1280x1024+1280+0
> Any other ideas?
> paul

So VGA-1 is your primary screen?
What happens if you run the second command in the termnal?
Also you could try running xrandr --output DVI-1 --mode 1280x1024 --right-of
VGA-1 (if DVI-1 is the port and the monitor is placed on the right of VGA-1)
--
// Isak

Old 02-17-2011, 10:14 AM
Paul Stear

On Thursday 17 Feb 2011 10:50:33 Isak Enström wrote:
> xrandr --output DVI-1 --mode 1280x1024 --right-of
> VGA-1
Thanks Isak, I think this will work but I haven't time to test it now, I'll try
over the weekend.
Thank again
Paul
--
This email has been sent using kmail on kubuntu

Old 02-20-2011, 12:38 PM
Paul Stear

On Thursday 17 Feb 2011 10:50:33 Isak Enström wrote:
> On Thursday 17 February 2011 11.14.20 Paul Stear wrote:
> > >
> > > Yes, you need to find out the correct xrandr command to set up your
> > > monitors. Find out[1] what command that is and put it in
> > > /etc/kde4/kdm/Xsetup
> > >
> > > For example, these are the lines I have:
> > > xrandr --output VGA1 --mode 1366x768
> > > xrandr --output LVDS1 --mode 1360x768
> > >
> > > [1] http://wiki.debian.org/XStrikeForce/HowToRandR12
> >
> > This is the entry I made but it didn't work, I never got the sign in
> > screen. xrandr --output VGA-1 --mode 1280x1024+0+0
> > xrandr --output DVI-I-1 --mode 1280x1024+1280+0
> > Any other ideas?
> > paul
>
> So VGA-1 is your primary screen?
> What happens if you run the second command in the termnal?
> Also you could try running xrandr --output DVI-1 --mode 1280x1024
> --right-of VGA-1 (if DVI-1 is the port and the monitor is placed on the
> right of VGA-1)

Thanks this works well
Paul
--
This email has been sent using kmail on kubuntu

Old 02-20-2011, 06:52 PM
Isak Enström

On 2011-02-20 14:38, Paul Stear wrote:
> On Thursday 17 Feb 2011 10:50:33 Isak Enström wrote:
>> So VGA-1 is your primary screen?
>> What happens if you run the second command in the termnal?
>> Also you could try running xrandr --output DVI-1 --mode 1280x1024
>> --right-of VGA-1 (if DVI-1 is the port and the monitor is placed on the
>> right of VGA-1)
>

> Thanks this works well
> Paul

OK, good to hear