Old 02-16-2011, 06:29 AM
Jerry Lapham

Default Install Win98 on /dev/sda4

I had a Win98 install disk and 36GiB of free space at the end of my HD, so I
formatted it as FAT32 and it became /dev/sda4.

When I booted from the Win98 install disk it said DriveC wasn't the right
format and wouldn't let me install without formatting it. How can I point it
to /dev/sda4?

-Jerry
Jerry Lapham
Monroe, OH 45050
rjlapham@gmail.com

Old 02-16-2011, 07:00 AM
Doug

I had a Win98 install disk and 36GiB of free space at the end of my HD, so I
formatted it as FAT32 and it became /dev/sda4.

When I booted from the Win98 install disk it said DriveC wasn't the right
format and wouldn't let me install without formatting it. How can I point it
to /dev/sda4?

-Jerry
Jerry Lapham
Monroe, OH 45050
rjlapham@gmail.com

I'm not sure, but I suspect Win98 doesn't recognize FAT32. I think it wants
to see FAT16. (It's been a long time. . . .

--doug

Old 02-16-2011, 08:36 AM
Waleed Hamra

On 02/16/2011 09:29 AM, Jerry Lapham wrote:
> I had a Win98 install disk and 36GiB of free space at the end of my HD, so I
> formatted it as FAT32 and it became /dev/sda4.
>
> When I booted from the Win98 install disk it said DriveC wasn't the right
> format and wouldn't let me install without formatting it. How can I point it
> to /dev/sda4?
>
> -Jerry

this has to do with Windows 98 wanting the boot partition (the active
partition) to be setup for booting this sda4 partition.
is sda4 primary or logical? if logical, i dont think windows can be
installed on it without some hacking (installing elsewhere and copying
to partition), if it's primary, you can make its partition active (Linux
doesnt care about active partitions, since it needs the MBR for grub,
and grub uses a kernel-based boot), and try if windows likes it. but
this still has a high probablity of the setup overwriting your MBR, in
which case you're going to need a bootable linux (CD or other disk) at
hand to just re-apply grub on the disk.
hope this helps.

--
Waleed K. Hamra
Manager of Hamra Information Systems

Old 02-16-2011, 12:55 PM
Reinhold Rumberger

On Mittwoch 16 Februar 2011, 10:36:29, Waleed Hamra wrote:
> On 02/16/2011 09:29 AM, Jerry Lapham wrote:
> > I had a Win98 install disk and 36GiB of free space at the end of my HD,
> > so I formatted it as FAT32 and it became /dev/sda4.
> >
> > When I booted from the Win98 install disk it said DriveC wasn't the right
> > format and wouldn't let me install without formatting it. How can I
> > point it to /dev/sda4?

I'm pretty sure it can't be done easily. Win9x wants to be installed to sda1.
You can try to use grub to swap sda1 and sda4 (basically so that Win98 sees
sda4 as sda1). However, that needs to be done for the install CD, too, and I
don't know how to do that.

> this has to do with Windows 98 wanting the boot partition (the active
> partition) to be setup for booting this sda4 partition.
> is sda4 primary or logical?

sda1-4 are primary - always! (have a look at how the kernel numbers primary
vs. logical partitions)

--Reinhold

Old 02-16-2011, 07:05 PM
Doug

[...]

I seem to remember that fdisk allows you to mark one partition as
"bootable"--

have you marked sda4 so? --doug

Old 02-16-2011, 07:38 PM
Reinhold Rumberger

On Mittwoch 16 Februar 2011, 21:05:25, Doug wrote:
> On 02/16/2011 08:55 AM, Reinhold Rumberger wrote:

> > I'm pretty sure it can't be done easily. Win9x wants to be installed to
> > sda1. You can try to use grub to swap sda1 and sda4 (basically so that
> > Win98 sees sda4 as sda1). However, that needs to be done for the install
> > CD, too, and I don't know how to do that.
> >
> >> this has to do with Windows 98 wanting the boot partition (the active
> >> partition) to be setup for booting this sda4 partition.
> >> is sda4 primary or logical?
> >
> > sda1-4 are primary - always! (have a look at how the kernel numbers
> > primary vs. logical partitions)
>
> I seem to remember that fdisk allows you to mark one partition as
> "bootable"--
> have you marked sda4 so? --doug

Apart from the fact that I'm not marking anything, the installer will do that
for you, no need to do that before you get Win98 installed...

--Reinhold

Old 02-20-2011, 11:27 PM
Jerry Lapham

On Wednesday, February 16, 2011 08:55:09 am Reinhold Rumberger wrote:

> > > When I booted from the Win98 install disk it said DriveC wasn't the
> > > right format and wouldn't let me install without formatting it. How
> > > can I point it to /dev/sda4?
>
> I'm pretty sure it can't be done easily. Win9x wants to be installed to
> sda1. You can try to use grub to swap sda1 and sda4 (basically so that
> Win98 sees sda4 as sda1). However, that needs to be done for the install
> CD, too, and I don't know how to do that.

Does the Win98 install CD use the existing partition table in the master boot
record? Would it use the first entry there as Drive C? If so, swappng the
bytes from the fourth entry and those from the first entry ought to do it,
correct?

-Jerry

Old 02-21-2011, 12:28 AM
Reinhold Rumberger

On Montag 21 Februar 2011, 01:27:24, Jerry Lapham wrote:

> > I'm pretty sure it can't be done easily. Win9x wants to be installed to
> > sda1. You can try to use grub to swap sda1 and sda4 (basically so that
> > Win98 sees sda4 as sda1). However, that needs to be done for the install
> > CD, too, and I don't know how to do that.
>
> Does the Win98 install CD use the existing partition table in the master
> boot record? Would it use the first entry there as Drive C?

Yes.

> If so,
> swappng the bytes from the fourth entry and those from the first entry
> ought to do it, correct?

That seems pretty much like what I wrote. Or at least what I was trying to
write... ;-)

--Reinhold

Old 02-26-2011, 12:34 AM
Chris Luck

I had a Win98 install disk and 36GiB of free space at the end of my
HD, so I formatted it as FAT32 and it became /dev/sda4.

When I booted from the Win98 install disk it said DriveC wasn't the
right format and wouldn't let me install without formatting it. How
can I point it to /dev/sda4?

I had to resort to Wikipedia to remind myself of basic capabilities and
limitations of Win98 - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_98

Fat32 should be ok but there's a reference to issues with drives over
32 gig, also the available RAM may be more than it can manage.
See 'System requirements' and 'Physical RAM limit' at the foot of page.

Chris Luck

Old 02-26-2011, 09:32 PM
Jerry Lapham

On Sunday, February 20, 2011 08:28:44 pm Reinhold Rumberger wrote:

> > > I'm pretty sure it can't be done easily. Win9x wants to be installed to
> > > sda1. You can try to use grub to swap sda1 and sda4 (basically so that
> > > Win98 sees sda4 as sda1). However, that needs to be done for the
> > > install CD, too, and I don't know how to do that.
> >
> > Does the Win98 install CD use the existing partition table in the master
> > boot record? Would it use the first entry there as Drive C?
>
> Yes.
>
> > If so,
> > swappng the bytes from the fourth entry and those from the first entry
> > ought to do it, correct?
>
> That seems pretty much like what I wrote. Or at least what I was trying to
> write... ;-)
>
> --Reinhold

Well, the swap worked -- that is, Linux still boots and GParted now shows swap
as sda4 and my new FAT32 partition as sda1.

Unfortunately, the Windows installer still says DriveC isn't the right format.
I decided to take a chance and let it format DriveC assuming DriveC = sda1 and
it wouldn't touch my other partitions.

The installer says there's a disk error and can't format DriveC. I'm
guessing it doesn't like the fact that sda1 is sectors 411521040 thru
488392064.

Assuming this is correct, I'm thinking about swapping the partition table back
and then sacrificing my Mandriva 2008.1 partition on sda2 by combining it with
sda1 and creating a new swap. I assume this wouldn't cause a problem with the
other Linux partition numbers since they are all logical.

Sound like it would work?

-Jerry