Old 02-15-2011, 12:42 PM
rajubhai ramvani

Default free space

dear sir
i am using kubuntu 9.04.when i am updating kubuntu 9.10 then message is displaying "the upgrade need a total of 1578 m free space on disk "/" please free at least an additional 838 m of disk space on "/" empty your trash and remove temperary disk space on "/' empty your trash and remove temporary packeges of former installations using "sudo apt-get clean". sir how can i solve the problem i cant update my os.so give me a solution. in my pc *there are two os .window and kubuntu.kubuntu is in E drive and there already 17 gb free space so why pc required free space and how can i do this.i was gone in terminal and typed SUDO APT-GET CLEAN.but pc asking password and i am entering password but pc asking ubuntu password and displaying is sudo apt get clean not found.hellp me.

Old 02-15-2011, 02:21 PM
"Alan Dacey Sr."

On Tuesday, February 15, 2011 08:42:06 am rajubhai ramvani wrote:
> dear sir
> i am using kubuntu 9.04.when i am updating kubuntu 9.10 then message is
> displaying "*the upgrade need a total of 1578 m free space on disk "/"
> please free at least an additional 838 m of disk space on "/" empty your
> trash and remove temperary disk space on "/' empty your trash and remove
> temporary packeges of former installations using "sudo apt-get clean"*. sir
> how can i solve the problem i cant update my os.so give me a solution. in my
> pc there are two os .window and kubuntu.kubuntu is in E drive and there
> already 17 gb free space so why pc required free space and how can i do
> this.i was gone in terminal and typed SUDO APT-GET CLEAN.but pc asking
> password and i am entering password but pc asking ubuntu password and
> displaying is sudo apt get clean not found.hellp me.

The command is apt-get, not apt get, there is a dash in between the words. This would make the entire command "sudo apt-get clean" without the quotes of course.

When you need to do something that can change your computer you need administrator access and that means that it will ask for your password for security reasons. Other wise anybody could remote connect to your machine and totally control it, just like in windows. Also kubuntu is not on the E: when you are running it. There are no letter drives in linux - ever.

There are two commands that will tell you exactly how much disk space you have. The first one is a general thing and the second has a bit more detail. Please copy and paste the following into the terminal (Konsole) and then copy and paste what comes out of them back to this list. We will know what your actual disk situation is then.

First command:
df -h
Second command:
sudo du / -h --max-depth=1

Alan

Old 02-16-2011, 12:32 PM
rajubhai ramvani

sir, as per instructions i sending you display copy paste

Today's Topics:

* 1. free space (rajubhai ramvani)
* * dear sir

i am using kubuntu 9.04.when i am updating kubuntu 9.10 then message is

displaying "*the upgrade need a total of 1578 m free space on disk "/"

please free at least an additional 838 m of disk space on "/" empty your

trash and remove temperary disk space on "/' empty your trash and remove

temporary packeges of former installations using "sudo apt-get clean"*. sir

how can i solve the problem i cant update my os.so give me a solution. in my

pc *there are two os .window and kubuntu.kubuntu is in E drive and there

already 17 gb free space so why pc required free space and how can i do

this.i was gone in terminal and typed SUDO APT-GET CLEAN.but pc asking

password and i am entering password but pc asking ubuntu password and

displaying is sudo apt get clean not found.hellp me.

-------------- next part --------------

An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

------------------------------

*n Tuesday, February 15, 2011 08:42:06 am rajubhai ramvani wrote:

> dear sir

> i am using kubuntu 9.04.when i am updating kubuntu 9.10 then message is

> displaying "*the upgrade need a total of 1578 m free space on disk "/"

> please free at least an additional 838 m of disk space on "/" empty your

> trash and remove temperary disk space on "/' empty your trash and remove

> temporary packeges of former installations using "sudo apt-get clean"*. sir

> how can i solve the problem i cant update my os.so give me a solution. in my

> pc *there are two os .window and kubuntu.kubuntu is in E drive and there

> already 17 gb free space so why pc required free space and how can i do

> this.i was gone in terminal and typed SUDO APT-GET CLEAN.but pc asking

> password and i am entering password but pc asking ubuntu password and

> displaying is sudo apt get clean not found.hellp me.

The command is apt-get, not apt get, there is a dash in between the words. *This would make the entire command "sudo apt-get clean" without the quotes of course.

When you need to do something that can change your computer you need administrator access and that means that it will ask for your password for security reasons. *Other wise anybody could remote connect to your machine and totally control it, just like in windows. *Also kubuntu is not on the E: when you are running it. *There are no letter drives in linux - ever.

There are two commands that will tell you exactly how much disk space you have. *The first one is a general thing and the second has a bit more detail. *Please copy and paste the following into the terminal (Konsole) and then copy and paste what comes out of them back to this list. *We will know what your actual disk situation is then.

First command:

* * * *df -h

Second command:

* * * *sudo du / -h --max-depth=1

Alan

------------------------------

rajuramvani@ubuntu:~$ df-h
bash: df-h: command not found
rajuramvani@ubuntu:~$ sudo do/-h--max-depth=1
usage: sudo -h | -K | -k | -L | -l | -V | -v
usage: sudo [-bEHPS] [-p prompt] [-u username|#uid] [VAR=value]

{-i | -s | <command>}
usage: sudo -e [-S] [-p prompt] [-u username|#uid] file...
rajuramvani@ubuntu:~$

--
rajuramvani

Old 02-16-2011, 12:49 PM
Hakan Koseoglu

Hi Rajubhai,

Please do not top-post.

On 16 February 2011 13:32, rajubhai ramvani <rajuramvani@gmail.com> wrote:

> sir, as per instructions i sending you display copy paste

You are not typing the commands as instructed.
> First command:
> * * * *df -h
> Second command:
> * * * *sudo du / -h --max-depth=1

vs:
> rajuramvani@ubuntu:~$ df-h

> rajuramvani@ubuntu:~$ sudo do/-h--max-depth=1

As you can see, there are spaces at the suggested commands.

Old 02-16-2011, 07:53 PM
Michael Hirsch

On Wed, Feb 16, 2011 at 6:49 AM, Hakan Koseoglu <hakan@koseoglu.org> wrote:
> Hi Rajubhai,
>
> Please do not top-post.
>
> On 16 February 2011 13:32, rajubhai ramvani <rajuramvani@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> sir, as per instructions i sending you display copy paste
>
> You are not typing the commands as instructed.
>> First command:
>> * * * *df -h
>> Second command:
>> * * * *sudo du / -h --max-depth=1
>
> vs:
>> rajuramvani@ubuntu:~$ df-h
>
>> rajuramvani@ubuntu:~$ sudo do/-h--max-depth=1
>
> As you can see, there are spaces at the suggested commands.

And it is "sudo du" not "sudo do".

I suggest that you use copy and paste to get the commands exactly
right. Try not to just type them in again.

Michael