Old 02-13-2011, 05:03 PM
Isak Enström

Default File Association

On Sunday 13 February 2011 18.12.16 John wrote:
> Hi, All
>
> I am new here, and to kubuntu, I have set up kUBUNTU 10.10 on my laptop
> (Extensa 5630Z), everything is going well, there is however a small
> problem with Thunderbird, and Firefox in that when I click a link in a
> file or from the desktop then Thunderbird fires up instead of Firefox ??
>
> I decided to do a test by creating a "link to Location" on the desktop,
> called it test linked to "http://www.google.co.uk", when I clicked the
> link Thunderbird fired up together with a pop-up to set a program as the
> default (I thought woopeee! its sorting itself out) I selected
> /usr/bin/firefox and ticked the check box to make it permanent, shut
> Thunderbird down and tried again, now I get both Thunderbird and Firefox
> starting up, so a little progress.
>
> Now where do I remove the association for Thunderbird to stop it
> Starting up in the above situation ?
>
> I have Googled and and found nothing of help.
>
> All help much appreciated

Welcome to the world of Kubuntu

You can open System settings > Default applications > Web browser and change
to your preferred browser.

Another way is to press Alt+F2 and enter: keditfiletype text/html
You can then place your preferred choice at the top of the list.
--
// Isak

Old 02-13-2011, 06:22 PM
Doug

[...]

I don't know if this applies to you, but I am using a KDE distro (PCLOS) and
I found that if the icons (widgets) are too close together, to where the
plasma rectangles overlap, when you snap on one, you get the other, or
both. Move the icons further apart to fix this.

--doug

Old 02-13-2011, 07:08 PM
Steve Morris

On 14/02/11 04:12, John wrote:
> Hi, All
>
> I am new here, and to kubuntu, I have set up kUBUNTU 10.10 on my laptop
> (Extensa 5630Z), everything is going well, there is however a small
> problem with Thunderbird, and Firefox in that when I click a link in a
> file or from the desktop then Thunderbird fires up instead of Firefox ??
>
> I decided to do a test by creating a "link to Location" on the desktop,
> called it test linked to "http://www.google.co.uk", when I clicked the
> link Thunderbird fired up together with a pop-up to set a program as the
> default (I thought woopeee! its sorting itself out) I selected
> /usr/bin/firefox and ticked the check box to make it permanent, shut
> Thunderbird down and tried again, now I get both Thunderbird and Firefox
> starting up, so a little progress.
>
> Now where do I remove the association for Thunderbird to stop it
> Starting up in the above situation ?
>
> I have Googled and and found nothing of help.
>
> All help much appreciated

Hi John,
Have a look at System Settings -> File Associations and search for
all entries associated with Thunderbird and change the ones that
shouldn't be. Alternatively, look for all entries that are associated
with both Thunderbird and Firefox and change them accordingly.

regards,
Steve