Old 02-10-2011, 10:04 PM
GeraldCC

Default K/UbuntuOS/ZorinOS 64

Hi To all,
I have been trying K/Ubuntu and Zorin on 3 machines and the software seems to
turn off the usb ports after a while--anywhere from 30sec to 30 mins.
These system run IDE+SATA1+SATA2 combination.
On a 4th machine, some 6YO a 64FX53, using only IDE drives this does not
happen.
All these systems feed through a Belkin usb hub to supply wireless keyboard
and mouse.
Your thoughts on this subject will be greatfully received.
Gerald

Old 02-11-2011, 05:01 AM
Nils Kassube

GeraldCC wrote:
> I have been trying K/Ubuntu

Which K/Ubuntu version is that? 10.04? 10.10?

> and Zorin on 3 machines and the software
> seems to turn off the usb ports after a while--anywhere from 30sec
> to 30 mins. These system run IDE+SATA1+SATA2 combination.
> On a 4th machine, some 6YO a 64FX53, using only IDE drives this does
> not happen.

I haven't seen that effect until now but I'm quite sure it doesn't
depend on the way the disks are connected. Anyway, does the USB port
still work if you connect a new device or is it really dead after the
problem starts?

> All these systems feed through a Belkin usb hub to supply wireless
> keyboard and mouse.

Wireless mouse reminds me of the part a friend of mine has. After a
while the mouse doesn't work any longer and it wakes up only if you
click once (left/right click doesn't matter). But probably you know
about that bahaviour if your mouse does the same.

What else is connected via USB? Could you connect the mouse/keyboard
directly without the USB hub? After all it might as well be a faulty hub
causing the problem.

Nils

Old 02-11-2011, 05:22 AM
GeraldCC

On Friday 11 February 2011 16:01:46 Nils Kassube wrote:
> GeraldCC wrote:
> > I have been trying K/Ubuntu
>
> Which K/Ubuntu version is that? 10.04? 10.10?
>
> > and Zorin on 3 machines and the software
> > seems to turn off the usb ports after a while--anywhere from 30sec
> > to 30 mins. These system run IDE+SATA1+SATA2 combination.
> > On a 4th machine, some 6YO a 64FX53, using only IDE drives this does
> > not happen.
>
> I haven't seen that effect until now but I'm quite sure it doesn't
> depend on the way the disks are connected. Anyway, does the USB port
> still work if you connect a new device or is it really dead after the
> problem starts?
>
> > All these systems feed through a Belkin usb hub to supply wireless
> > keyboard and mouse.
>
> Wireless mouse reminds me of the part a friend of mine has. After a
> while the mouse doesn't work any longer and it wakes up only if you
> click once (left/right click doesn't matter). But probably you know
> about that bahaviour if your mouse does the same.
>
> What else is connected via USB? Could you connect the mouse/keyboard
> directly without the USB hub? After all it might as well be a faulty hub
> causing the problem.
>

> Nils
Hi Nils,
Only a mouse/keyboard on the Belkin (7 port)hub.
Kubuntu 10.10 the version of Zorin is 4.
The system runs for a time then no mouse or keyboard.
If I disconnect the hub from the Computer then reconnect there is no
indication to show the usb is functional.
I have tried Ubuntu 10.10 as well but the effect is the same.
I normally run PCLinuxOS 2010.12 on my systems but feel a need to try others.
Unfortunately others do not seem to work.
Gerald

Old 02-11-2011, 11:58 AM
Nils Kassube

GeraldCC wrote:
> Only a mouse/keyboard on the Belkin (7 port)hub.
> Kubuntu 10.10 the version of Zorin is 4.
> The system runs for a time then no mouse or keyboard.
> If I disconnect the hub from the Computer then reconnect there is no
> indication to show the usb is functional.

Did you try without the hub?

> I have tried Ubuntu 10.10 as well but the effect is the same.
> I normally run PCLinuxOS 2010.12 on my systems but feel a need to try
> others. Unfortunately others do not seem to work.

Does that mean it works with PCLinuxOS?

Nils

Old 02-11-2011, 08:27 PM
GeraldCC

On Friday 11 February 2011 22:58:29 Nils Kassube wrote:
> GeraldCC wrote:
> > Only a mouse/keyboard on the Belkin (7 port)hub.
> > Kubuntu 10.10 the version of Zorin is 4.
> > The system runs for a time then no mouse or keyboard.
> > If I disconnect the hub from the Computer then reconnect there is no
> > indication to show the usb is functional.
>
> Did you try without the hub?

No, as putting a usb mouse straight into the machine. when the usb has been
switched off, has not activated it.No mouse.
But I will try with only the usb mouse and keyboard and if that fails a ps2
mouse and keyboard. But this is scraping the bottom of the barrel!!!

> > I have tried Ubuntu 10.10 as well but the effect is the same.
> > I normally run PCLinuxOS 2010.12 on my systems but feel a need to try
> > others. Unfortunately others do not seem to work.
>
> Does that mean it works with PCLinuxOS?

YES. So I think that rules out a faulty machine.
As a matter of fact, I tried ZorinOS4 in Virtualbox. It installed fine then
after about 30secs, locked Virtualbox and PCLinuxOS.
I am not sure what that means!!!!!
Many thanks for coming back.
Gerald

Old 02-11-2011, 08:55 PM
GeraldCC

On Saturday 12 February 2011 07:27:31 GeraldCC wrote:
> On Friday 11 February 2011 22:58:29 Nils Kassube wrote:
> > GeraldCC wrote:
> > > Only a mouse/keyboard on the Belkin (7 port)hub.
> > > Kubuntu 10.10 the version of Zorin is 4.
> > > The system runs for a time then no mouse or keyboard.
> > > If I disconnect the hub from the Computer then reconnect there is no
> > > indication to show the usb is functional.
> >
> > Did you try without the hub?
>
> No, as putting a usb mouse straight into the machine. when the usb has been
> switched off, has not activated it.No mouse.
> But I will try with only the usb mouse and keyboard and if that fails a ps2
> mouse and keyboard. But this is scraping the bottom of the barrel!!!
>
> > > I have tried Ubuntu 10.10 as well but the effect is the same.
> > > I normally run PCLinuxOS 2010.12 on my systems but feel a need to try
> > > others. Unfortunately others do not seem to work.
> >
> > Does that mean it works with PCLinuxOS?
>
> YES. So I think that rules out a faulty machine.
> As a matter of fact, I tried ZorinOS4 in Virtualbox. It installed fine then
> after about 30secs, locked Virtualbox and PCLinuxOS.
> I am not sure what that means!!!!!
By the way, The install on the all IDE box, the 64FX53, works through the same
Belkin hub and does not loose the usb system.

Old 02-12-2011, 03:14 PM
Nils Kassube

GeraldCC wrote:
> On Friday 11 February 2011 22:58:29 Nils Kassube wrote:
> > GeraldCC wrote:
> > > Only a mouse/keyboard on the Belkin (7 port)hub.
> > > Kubuntu 10.10 the version of Zorin is 4.
> > > The system runs for a time then no mouse or keyboard.
> > > If I disconnect the hub from the Computer then reconnect there is
> > > no indication to show the usb is functional.
> >
> > Did you try without the hub?
>
> No, as putting a usb mouse straight into the machine. when the usb
> has been switched off, has not activated it.No mouse.
> But I will try with only the usb mouse and keyboard and if that fails
> a ps2 mouse and keyboard. But this is scraping the bottom of the
> barrel!!!
>
> > > I have tried Ubuntu 10.10 as well but the effect is the same.
> > > I normally run PCLinuxOS 2010.12 on my systems but feel a need to
> > > try others. Unfortunately others do not seem to work.
> >
> > Does that mean it works with PCLinuxOS?
>
> YES. So I think that rules out a faulty machine.

Agreed - if it works with one OS but not with the other, there must be a
software problem. However I don't have an idea what could be wrong.
Maybe you could post the output of the command

sudo lshw

in a terminal. Then maybe someone else has an idea.

> As a matter of fact, I tried ZorinOS4 in Virtualbox. It installed
> fine then after about 30secs, locked Virtualbox and PCLinuxOS.
> I am not sure what that means!!!!!

That's really strange. Could this be a faulty memory? You can try the
memtest option from the boot menu to rule that out.

Nils