Old 02-06-2008, 12:30 PM
Stephan Schöffel

Default WLAN device disabled

hi there,

i'm running kubuntu 7.10 on a hp nx6325 notebook. unfortunately i can't
activate my wireless connection.

the network settings show the wireless interface as eth1. i is
configured via dhcp. but the state is "disabled". if i want to change it
to enabled, it does for about half a second and then switches to
disabled again.

if i try "sudo ifconfig eth1 up" via console it replies:
SIOCSIFFLAGS: No such file or directory

thanks for any hints.

stephan

Old 02-06-2008, 01:01 PM
Larry Hartman

On Wednesday 06 February 2008 05:30:42 am Stephan Schöffel wrote:
> hi there,
>
> i'm running kubuntu 7.10 on a hp nx6325 notebook. unfortunately i can't
> activate my wireless connection.
>
> the network settings show the wireless interface as eth1. i is
> configured via dhcp. but the state is "disabled". if i want to change it
> to enabled, it does for about half a second and then switches to
> disabled again.
>
> if i try "sudo ifconfig eth1 up" via console it replies:
> SIOCSIFFLAGS: No such file or directory
>
> thanks for any hints.
>
> stephan

Can you tell us what type of wireless device it is using...my hunch is that it
is Broadcomm whatever and may need NDISWRAPPER to set it up properly.

Larry

Old 02-06-2008, 01:13 PM
Stephan Schöffel

i was able to install the proper driver via synaptic. now i can activate
the device; still i cannot connect to the wireless lan...

--

Dipl.-Inf. (FH) Stephan Schöffel

c/o Fachhochschhule Bingen / University of applied sciences Bingen
Fachbereich 2 - Technik, Informatik und Wirtschaft

Berlinstraße 109
55411 Bingen

Tel: +49 (0) 6721 / 409-250
Fax: +49 (0) 6721 / 409-158
email: schoeffel@fh-bingen.de
Internet: www.fh-bingen.de

Old 02-07-2008, 02:19 AM
"Howard Coles Jr."

On Wednesday 06 February 2008 08:13:59 am Stephan Schöffel wrote:
> i was able to install the proper driver via synaptic. now i can activate
> the device; still i cannot connect to the wireless lan...
>
> Larry Hartman schrieb:
> > On Wednesday 06 February 2008 05:30:42 am Stephan Schöffel wrote:
> >> hi there,
> >>
> >> i'm running kubuntu 7.10 on a hp nx6325 notebook. unfortunately i can't
> >> activate my wireless connection.
> >>
> >> the network settings show the wireless interface as eth1. i is
> >> configured via dhcp. but the state is "disabled". if i want to change it
> >> to enabled, it does for about half a second and then switches to
> >> disabled again.
> >>
> >> if i try "sudo ifconfig eth1 up" via console it replies:
> >> SIOCSIFFLAGS: No such file or directory
> >>
> >> thanks for any hints.
> >>
> >> stephan
> >
> > Can you tell us what type of wireless device it is using...my hunch is
> > that it is Broadcomm whatever and may need NDISWRAPPER to set it up
> > properly.
> >
> > Larry

Try using the Restricted Drivers utility. Some Broadcom wireless nics don't
support wpa encryption, either way. However, just because you have
the "driver" that may not make it work, you may need to get the firmware, and
I forget right now how to do it. I just know that in gutsy on my Dell
Workstation, it downloaded the firmware and loaded that up for me.

The problem is broadcom's wireless nics. HP uses them because they are cheap!

--
See Ya'
Howard Coles Jr.

Old 02-07-2008, 05:43 AM
Steve Knorr

Indeed, It also depends on which Broadcom card it came with, if it came
with the bcm43xx then the restricted drivers/fwcutter should work. If
it's some other, it may still try to use bcm43xx/fwcutter while the
chipset is different (mine did this). In which case, NDISwrapper may be
the best solution.