FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Ubuntu > Kubuntu User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 02-05-2011, 05:11 PM
"D. R. Evans"
 
Default maverick: Firefox back/forward buttons

On my wife's maverick system (but not on mine), the Firefox forward/back
buttons are missing.

After some investigation, it seems that they are present, but of zero size
(i.e., it's as if FF can't find or simply isn't displaying the icons). If I
set the toolbar to [icons + text] then the buttons are present and usable:
it's just that there is no icon on them. Googling seems to show that this
is not an unheard-of problem (although why it should occur on onely one of
the three maverick systems here is a puzzle), but I haven't been able to
find a fix that works.

So, does anyone know how to get the forward/back icons to appear?

Doc

--
Web: http://www.sff.net/people/N7DR

--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
 
Old 02-05-2011, 05:30 PM
Isak Enström
 
Default maverick: Firefox back/forward buttons

On Saturday 05 February 2011 19.11.20 D. R. Evans wrote:
> On my wife's maverick system (but not on mine), the Firefox forward/back
> buttons are missing.
>
> After some investigation, it seems that they are present, but of zero size
> (i.e., it's as if FF can't find or simply isn't displaying the icons). If I
> set the toolbar to [icons + text] then the buttons are present and usable:
> it's just that there is no icon on them. Googling seems to show that this
> is not an unheard-of problem (although why it should occur on onely one of
> the three maverick systems here is a puzzle), but I haven't been able to
> find a fix that works.
>
> So, does anyone know how to get the forward/back icons to appear?
>
> Doc

You could perhaps try changing the icon theme to see if they become visible
again. Are you using the standard theme/icon set?
--
// Isak

--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
 
Old 02-05-2011, 06:11 PM
Reinhold Rumberger
 
Default maverick: Firefox back/forward buttons

On Samstag 05 Februar 2011, 19:11:20, D. R. Evans wrote:
> On my wife's maverick system (but not on mine), the Firefox forward/back
> buttons are missing.
>
> After some investigation, it seems that they are present, but of zero size
> (i.e., it's as if FF can't find or simply isn't displaying the icons). If I
> set the toolbar to [icons + text] then the buttons are present and usable:
> it's just that there is no icon on them. Googling seems to show that this
> is not an unheard-of problem (although why it should occur on onely one of
> the three maverick systems here is a puzzle), but I haven't been able to
> find a fix that works.
>
> So, does anyone know how to get the forward/back icons to appear?

You need to install gnome-icon-theme

--Reinhold

--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
 
Old 02-07-2011, 10:48 PM
"D. R. Evans"
 
Default maverick: Firefox back/forward buttons

Isak Enström said the following at 02/05/2011 11:30 AM :
> On Saturday 05 February 2011 19.11.20 D. R. Evans wrote:
>> On my wife's maverick system (but not on mine), the Firefox forward/back
>> buttons are missing.
>>
>> After some investigation, it seems that they are present, but of zero size
>> (i.e., it's as if FF can't find or simply isn't displaying the icons). If I
>> set the toolbar to [icons + text] then the buttons are present and usable:
>> it's just that there is no icon on them. Googling seems to show that this
>> is not an unheard-of problem (although why it should occur on onely one of
>> the three maverick systems here is a puzzle), but I haven't been able to
>> find a fix that works.
>>
>> So, does anyone know how to get the forward/back icons to appear?
>>
>> Doc
>
> You could perhaps try changing the icon theme to see if they become visible
> again. Are you using the standard theme/icon set?

Yes, using the standard icon theme. Do you have a recommendation for a
different theme to try?

(I tried searching for a new icon theme but I'm not sure where to find
them. All I could find at addons.mozilla.org were themes that altered the
entire appearance of FF, not just the icons.)

Doc

--
Web: http://www.sff.net/people/N7DR

--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
 
Old 02-07-2011, 10:50 PM
"D. R. Evans"
 
Default maverick: Firefox back/forward buttons

Reinhold Rumberger said the following at 02/05/2011 12:11 PM :
> On Samstag 05 Februar 2011, 19:11:20, D. R. Evans wrote:
>> On my wife's maverick system (but not on mine), the Firefox forward/back
>> buttons are missing.
>>
>> After some investigation, it seems that they are present, but of zero size
>> (i.e., it's as if FF can't find or simply isn't displaying the icons). If I
>> set the toolbar to [icons + text] then the buttons are present and usable:
>> it's just that there is no icon on them. Googling seems to show that this
>> is not an unheard-of problem (although why it should occur on onely one of
>> the three maverick systems here is a puzzle), but I haven't been able to
>> find a fix that works.
>>
>> So, does anyone know how to get the forward/back icons to appear?
>
> You need to install gnome-icon-theme
>

I installed it, logged out, logged back in and started FF, and nothing
seems to look any different :-( In particular, the back/forward icons are
still missing.

Doc

--
Web: http://www.sff.net/people/N7DR

--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
 
Old 02-07-2011, 11:22 PM
Waleed Hamra
 
Default maverick: Firefox back/forward buttons

On 02/08/2011 01:50 AM, D. R. Evans wrote:
> Reinhold Rumberger said the following at 02/05/2011 12:11 PM :
>> On Samstag 05 Februar 2011, 19:11:20, D. R. Evans wrote:
>>> On my wife's maverick system (but not on mine), the Firefox forward/back
>>> buttons are missing.
>>>
>>> After some investigation, it seems that they are present, but of zero size
>>> (i.e., it's as if FF can't find or simply isn't displaying the icons). If I
>>> set the toolbar to [icons + text] then the buttons are present and usable:
>>> it's just that there is no icon on them. Googling seems to show that this
>>> is not an unheard-of problem (although why it should occur on onely one of
>>> the three maverick systems here is a puzzle), but I haven't been able to
>>> find a fix that works.
>>>
>>> So, does anyone know how to get the forward/back icons to appear?
>>
>> You need to install gnome-icon-theme
>>
>
> I installed it, logged out, logged back in and started FF, and nothing
> seems to look any different :-( In particular, the back/forward icons are
> still missing.
>
> Doc
>
>

i compile firefox from source on my computer, i update it about once
every month. starting from around mid-December, i had the problem you
described. the button is there, clickable (yet hard to catch, very
thin), but it has no icons. glitches in the panorama icon were common
too. i resolved it by using a different theme. i use the "strata
reloaded" theme, which is almost the same default theme of the Windows
version of FF (i know, mozilla are unfair, linux gets the crappy theme,
and windows gets the eye-candy).
i do have gnome-icon-theme installed, but it resolved nothing.
i am not sure if this is a mozilla bug or an ubuntu bug, but i think
it's the latter.

--
Waleed K. Hamra
Manager of Hamra Information Systems

--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
 
Old 02-07-2011, 11:36 PM
Reinhold Rumberger
 
Default maverick: Firefox back/forward buttons

On Dienstag 08 Februar 2011, 00:50:28, D. R. Evans wrote:
> Reinhold Rumberger said the following at 02/05/2011 12:11 PM :
> > On Samstag 05 Februar 2011, 19:11:20, D. R. Evans wrote:
> >> On my wife's maverick system (but not on mine), the Firefox forward/back
> >> buttons are missing.
> >>
> >> After some investigation, it seems that they are present, but of zero
> >> size (i.e., it's as if FF can't find or simply isn't displaying the
> >> icons). If I set the toolbar to [icons + text] then the buttons are
> >> present and usable: it's just that there is no icon on them. Googling
> >> seems to show that this is not an unheard-of problem (although why it
> >> should occur on onely one of the three maverick systems here is a
> >> puzzle), but I haven't been able to find a fix that works.
> >>
> >> So, does anyone know how to get the forward/back icons to appear?
> >
> > You need to install gnome-icon-theme
>
> I installed it, logged out, logged back in and started FF, and nothing
> seems to look any different :-( In particular, the back/forward icons are
> still missing.

I'm pretty sure that's what fixed it for me. The reason for this was something
about firefox hardcoding the icons' exact names an someone changing the
location of the 'ltr' in the icons' names (or something similar) in the name
generation algorithm in GTK and subsequently in the icon's names themselves.

Anyway, since I can't remember the exact keywords I used to actually find info
on this, here's how to do it yourself:
Open a konsole and start firefox (make sure no other instance is running
first!). Firefox should then output a lot of GTK warnings about missing icons.
Use one of them to formulate a meaningful google query.

It might help to install the hicolor-icon-theme, I'm not sure about that, but
I guess it is worth a try.

--Reinhold
PS: I believe I saw a launchpad bug for this, but I can't find it right now.

--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
 
Old 02-07-2011, 11:57 PM
Reinhold Rumberger
 
Default maverick: Firefox back/forward buttons

On Dienstag 08 Februar 2011, 01:36:40, Reinhold Rumberger wrote:
> On Dienstag 08 Februar 2011, 00:50:28, D. R. Evans wrote:
> > Reinhold Rumberger said the following at 02/05/2011 12:11 PM :
> > > On Samstag 05 Februar 2011, 19:11:20, D. R. Evans wrote:
> > >> On my wife's maverick system (but not on mine), the Firefox
> > >> forward/back buttons are missing.
> > >>
> > >> After some investigation, it seems that they are present, but of zero
> > >> size (i.e., it's as if FF can't find or simply isn't displaying the
> > >> icons). If I set the toolbar to [icons + text] then the buttons are
> > >> present and usable: it's just that there is no icon on them. Googling
> > >> seems to show that this is not an unheard-of problem (although why it
> > >> should occur on onely one of the three maverick systems here is a
> > >> puzzle), but I haven't been able to find a fix that works.
> > >>
> > >> So, does anyone know how to get the forward/back icons to appear?
> > >
> > > You need to install gnome-icon-theme
> >
> > I installed it, logged out, logged back in and started FF, and nothing
> > seems to look any different :-( In particular, the back/forward icons are
> > still missing.
>
> I'm pretty sure that's what fixed it for me. The reason for this was
> something about firefox hardcoding the icons' exact names an someone
> changing the location of the 'ltr' in the icons' names (or something
> similar) in the name generation algorithm in GTK and subsequently in the
> icon's names themselves.
>
> Anyway, since I can't remember the exact keywords I used to actually find
> info on this, here's how to do it yourself:
> Open a konsole and start firefox (make sure no other instance is running
> first!). Firefox should then output a lot of GTK warnings about missing
> icons. Use one of them to formulate a meaningful google query.
>
> It might help to install the hicolor-icon-theme, I'm not sure about that,
> but I guess it is worth a try.
>
> --Reinhold
> PS: I believe I saw a launchpad bug for this, but I can't find it right
> now.

Found the gnome report: https://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=629878

--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
 
Old 02-08-2011, 03:31 AM
user1
 
Default maverick: Firefox back/forward buttons

Try icecat 3.6.13


--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
 
Old 02-09-2011, 07:18 PM
"D. R. Evans"
 
Default maverick: Firefox back/forward buttons

Waleed Hamra said the following at 02/07/2011 05:22 PM :

> too. i resolved it by using a different theme. i use the "strata
> reloaded" theme, which is almost the same default theme of the Windows

That seems to change a whole lot more than just icons... I'm pretty sure my
wife would be not at all happy with changes in dialogue boxes and "hover
effects".

I still haven't been able to find anything called an "icon theme"...
obviously looking in the wrong places. All the themes I've been able to
find seem to change backgrounds, colour schemes and what-have-you.

What I find weird is that my maverick systems are fine: it's just my wife's
that can't find the forward/back icons, even though all the systems went
through the same ordinary upgrade process from 10.04.

I'm thinking that my wife is just going to have to do without the arrows
until this gets fixed by Canonical or somewhere upstream.

The printer bug (see e-mail <4D4D8F22.2020803@gmail.com>) is much the more
important, really. That might solve this bug as a secondary result of
forcing my wife back to Windows :-(

Doc

--
Web: http://www.sff.net/people/N7DR

--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 07:46 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright ©2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org