Old 02-05-2011, 04:55 PM
"D. R. Evans"

Default maverick: HP Officejet 4215 no longer prints text

I just bit the bullet and moved my wife's computer up from hardy all the
way up to maverick (since this is the first version of KDE4 that I've found
passably usable).

But her HP Officejet 4215 no longer works properly: graphics print fine,
but when printing text the print head moves, but no text is actually
printed. Does anyone know how I can get her printer working again?

Doc

PS There's another unrelated issue, for which I'll start a separate thread.

--
Web: http://www.sff.net/people/N7DR

Old 02-16-2011, 09:57 PM
"D. R. Evans"

D. R. Evans said the following at 02/05/2011 10:55 AM :
> I just bit the bullet and moved my wife's computer up from hardy all the
> way up to maverick (since this is the first version of KDE4 that I've found
> passably usable).
>
> But her HP Officejet 4215 no longer works properly: graphics print fine,
> but when printing text the print head moves, but no text is actually
> printed. Does anyone know how I can get her printer working again?

I filed a report at https://answers.launchpad.net/hplip/+question/144235
and was told to update hplip... but having asked twice how to do so, I have
not received any responses. Can anyone here tell me how to get the more
recent hplip package on to my wife's maverick system?

I'd really hate to have to go back to Windows on that machine, but I'm sure
you can appreciate that not being able to print is not a viable position to
be in.

Doc

--
Web: http://www.sff.net/people/N7DR

Old 02-16-2011, 10:29 PM
Waleed Hamra

On 02/17/2011 12:57 AM, D. R. Evans wrote:
> D. R. Evans said the following at 02/05/2011 10:55 AM :
>> I just bit the bullet and moved my wife's computer up from hardy all the
>> way up to maverick (since this is the first version of KDE4 that I've found
>> passably usable).
>>
>> But her HP Officejet 4215 no longer works properly: graphics print fine,
>> but when printing text the print head moves, but no text is actually
>> printed. Does anyone know how I can get her printer working again?
>>

> I filed a report at https://answers.launchpad.net/hplip/+question/144235
> and was told to update hplip... but having asked twice how to do so, I have
> not received any responses. Can anyone here tell me how to get the more
> recent hplip package on to my wife's maverick system?
>
> I'd really hate to have to go back to Windows on that machine, but I'm sure
> you can appreciate that not being able to print is not a viable position to
> be in.
>
> Doc

http://hplipopensource.com/hplip-web/index.html

click "download hplip", and follow the instructions

--
Waleed K. Hamra
Manager of Hamra Information Systems

Old 02-17-2011, 01:58 AM
Pastor JW

On Wednesday, February 16, 2011 2:57:31 pm D. R. Evans wrote:
> D. R. Evans said the following at 02/05/2011 10:55 AM :
> > I just bit the bullet and moved my wife's computer up from hardy all the
> > way up to maverick (since this is the first version of KDE4 that I've
> > found passably usable).

I'm running 4.4.5 which handles for the most part as well as 3.x. I DID stay
with Hardy and I also waited to go to Lucid til I started hearing decent
things about it.

> > But her HP Officejet 4215 no longer works properly: graphics print fine,
> > but when printing text the print head moves, but no text is actually
> > printed. Does anyone know how I can get her printer working again?
>
> I filed a report at https://answers.launchpad.net/hplip/+question/144235
> and was told to update hplip... but having asked twice how to do so, I have
> not received any responses. Can anyone here tell me how to get the more
> recent hplip package on to my wife's maverick system?

Lack of response usually means people do not know. For instance, I'm not sure
about a Maverick system since I only use the LTS version but the hplip has
worked since ever for my systems without the least of any problems. I use a
HP J4680 which seems to work flawlessly and we have a Canon MP560, which we use
mostly for fax, camera SD cards, and copying because it is pathetic with our
Kubuntu network. Turboprint which we bought, provided no user support nor did
it ever properly work. We do not plan on ever buying a Canon again since it
does not work with Linux nor do we plan to ever either recommend or buy
Turboprint again.

> I'd really hate to have to go back to Windows on that machine, but I'm sure
> you can appreciate that not being able to print is not a viable position to
> be in.

To me, then the more responsible route to take would be to stay with the LTS
versions like I tell the owners of the 35 machines I service to do, and leave
the testing of more unstable versions to those who have the time to
troubleshoot. The threat to retreat to something as full of bugs as windoze
really can not be taken seriously. I've been there and know better as have
most of the people on this list.

--
73 de N7PSV aka Pastor JW <n>< PDGA# 35276
http://the-inner-circle.org _Registered Kubuntu User: #27403

Old 02-17-2011, 09:22 PM
"D. R. Evans"

Waleed Hamra said the following at 02/16/2011 04:29 PM :

> http://hplipopensource.com/hplip-web/index.html
>
> click "download hplip", and follow the instructions

Years of getting burned installing packages that don't come from the
distro-maker have made me cynic... but in this case I was wrong to be so
cautious. While the official 10.10 package is broken (at least for my
wife's printer), the instructions on the hplipopensource.com were clear,
correct, and resulted in a working printer.

Thank you.

Doc

--
Web: http://www.sff.net/people/N7DR

Old 02-25-2011, 09:33 AM
Thomas Olsen

On Wednesday 16 February 2011 23:57:31 D. R. Evans wrote:
> D. R. Evans said the following at 02/05/2011 10:55 AM :
> > I just bit the bullet and moved my wife's computer up from hardy all the
> > way up to maverick (since this is the first version of KDE4 that I've
> > found passably usable).
> >
> > But her HP Officejet 4215 no longer works properly: graphics print fine,
> > but when printing text the print head moves, but no text is actually
> > printed. Does anyone know how I can get her printer working again?
>
> I filed a report at https://answers.launchpad.net/hplip/+question/144235
> and was told to update hplip... but having asked twice how to do so, I have
> not received any responses. Can anyone here tell me how to get the more
> recent hplip package on to my wife's maverick system?
>
> I'd really hate to have to go back to Windows on that machine, but I'm sure
> you can appreciate that not being able to print is not a viable position to
> be in.
>
> Doc

Sorry for the late reply.

I had to update hplip on a friends box last week which gave me quite some problems because
the installer for some reason doesn't install the driver!?
I'll try to write down the steps I used.

1) Download the driver from http://sourceforge.net/projects/hplip/files/hplip/3.10.9/hplip-3.10.9.run/download

2) Unpack the driver by running:

sh hplip-3.10.9.run

and select 'q' to quit at the first prompt.

3) Change directory to the unpacked directory:

cd hplip-3.10.9

4) Configure, build and install the driver:

make clean
./configure --prefix=/usr --enable-foomatic-rip-hplip-install --enable-foomatic-drv-install --disable-network-build
make
sudo make install

NOTE: During configure you will probably get a lot of warnings about missing dependencies.
You'll have to install these by hand (using apt-get, aptitude, kpackagekit or whatever your used to).
Most of these packages are development packages (with a '-dev' suffix) and the configure script
will try to tell you which package to install, but I had to search the the package database to
try and find the right packages. The reason for the --disable-network-build switch is because there
was a missing package that I couldn't find.
Feel free to ask if you get stuck.

--
Best regards / med venlig hilsen

Thomas Olsen

Dropbox and my thumb drive had an epic battle. Dropbox won. http://db.tt/T0p6d6L

Old 02-25-2011, 09:44 AM
Thomas Olsen

On Friday 25 February 2011 11:33:53 Thomas Olsen wrote:

> make clean
> ./configure --prefix=/usr --enable-foomatic-rip-hplip-install
> --enable-foomatic-drv-install --disable-network-build make
> sudo make install

I forgot something: Before you start remove any printers you have setup
in System Settings.

5) After installation unplug the printer and plug it in again.
Run:

hp-check -r

to check for any errors and to see if it finds a(ny) printer(s) under
"DISCOVERED USB DEVICES".

6) If everything looks OK run:

hp-setup

to set up the printer.

BTW: No warranty. This may break your printing entirely ;-)