Old 02-03-2011, 05:29 PM
gene heskett

Default My shop box has no users!

Greetings;

I tried to synchronize my usernum between this machine, and the shop
machine, which amanda also backs up. By modifying everything in /etc to
renumber the user gene from 1000 to 500 like it is here on this pclos box.
That did not gain me write perms in /home/gene on the shop box, so I
reverted everything.

I can ssh into this machine as 'gene', using my usual passwd, but the
prompt is:
root@shop:/var# logout <-i did a ctrl+d
I have no name!@shop:~$ whoami
whoami: cannot find name for user ID 1000

Yet I exist in both the original /etc/passwd, /etc/group as 1000:1000

Similarly, I can su - backup (user id 34 in both files):
root@shop:~# su - backup
expr: syntax error
$
getting the $ prompt only, and
$ whoami
whoami: cannot find name for user ID 34
$

And of course amanda failed to backup anything from shop.coyote.den last
night, but did generate:
$ cd /var/log/amanda/amandad
$ ls -l |wc -l
168030
debug files in the /var/log/amanda/amandad directory, all of which are
minor variations of:

$ cat amandad.20110203093718.debug (hit enter twice to get output)
1296743838.829167: amandad: pid 2511 ruid 34 euid 34 version 2.6.1p1: start
at Thu Feb 3 09:37:18 2011
1296743838.829604: amandad: critical (fatal): current userid 34 not found
in password database
/usr/lib/amanda/libamanda-2.6.1p1.so(+0x1c350)[0x843350]
/lib/libglib-2.0.so.0(g_logv+0x1fa)[0x3ebbea]
/lib/libglib-2.0.so.0(g_log+0x26)[0x3ec056]
/usr/lib/amanda/libamanda-2.6.1p1.so(check_running_as+0x24b)[0x85975b]
amandad(main+0xe1)[0x8049d11]
/lib/tls/i686/cmov/libc.so.6(__libc_start_main+0xe6)[0x4a0bd6]
amandad[0x8049a91]

That particular file was from an amcheck run on this machine as I was
installing the late last night snapshot of 3.2.1 this morning.

In about 13 years of running linux, I have never seen anything like this,
where a user contained in the passwd and group files can login, then sudo -
i to root ok, do anything root can do, then 'su - username' and wander
around and almost get something done, but cannot find out who the heck he
is!

And, I just found that X is indeed running, in --failsafe mode, and that
there is still an unkillable copy of amandad running. It should have timed
out and given up 13 hours ago. Reboot in progress... That did kill it.

I'd hate to have to re-install this box, as I haven't done any 'practice'
restores and here are at least 100 new gcode files I've written that would
be lost forever if I can't amrecover them.

Whatthe???? I just noticed that the emailed report says the shop dle's are
missing, but that is NOT listed on the printed report, they are not even
reported! As I look at the printout first thing in the morning, only half
awake, that I would consider an important BUG, at least to me.

That however is a separate item.

Has anyone else ever encountered this, or am I doomed to do a re-install &
then fight to recover the important stuffs from a halted backup regimen so
what I need doesn't fall off the end of my 30 day schedule as I am
scheduled to leave on a trip that may take a week or more, to the UP of
Michigan as soon as the roads are again passable across the north shore of
Lake Michigan. It is not a trip I have any enthusiasm about at all.

Thanks all, for any insight on this.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

Old 02-03-2011, 05:53 PM
Reinhold Rumberger

On Donnerstag 03 Februar 2011, 19:29:17, gene heskett wrote:
> Greetings;
>
> I tried to synchronize my usernum between this machine, and the shop
> machine, which amanda also backs up. By modifying everything in /etc to
> renumber the user gene from 1000 to 500 like it is here on this pclos box.
> That did not gain me write perms in /home/gene on the shop box, so I
> reverted everything.
>
> I can ssh into this machine as 'gene', using my usual passwd, but the
> prompt is:
> root@shop:/var# logout <-i did a ctrl+d
> I have no name!@shop:~$ whoami
> whoami: cannot find name for user ID 1000
>
> Yet I exist in both the original /etc/passwd, /etc/group as 1000:1000

I've never used amanda (to complex for my little laptop), so I'm clueless
about that, but could you check the permissions on these:
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 1002 2011-01-20 12:21 /etc/group
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 2,0K 2010-12-10 00:14 /etc/passwd

I just reproduced the above problem by removing read permissions.

--Reinhold

Old 02-03-2011, 07:53 PM
gene heskett

On Thursday, February 03, 2011 03:17:17 pm Reinhold Rumberger did opine:

> On Donnerstag 03 Februar 2011, 19:29:17, gene heskett wrote:
> > Greetings;
> >
> > I tried to synchronize my usernum between this machine, and the shop
> > machine, which amanda also backs up. By modifying everything in /etc
> > to renumber the user gene from 1000 to 500 like it is here on this
> > pclos box. That did not gain me write perms in /home/gene on the shop
> > box, so I reverted everything.
> >
> > I can ssh into this machine as 'gene', using my usual passwd, but the
> > prompt is:
> > root@shop:/var# logout <-i did a ctrl+d
> > I have no name!@shop:~$ whoami
> > whoami: cannot find name for user ID 1000
> >
> > Yet I exist in both the original /etc/passwd, /etc/group as 1000:1000
>
> I've never used amanda (to complex for my little laptop), so I'm
> clueless about that, but could you check the permissions on these:
> -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 1002 2011-01-20 12:21 /etc/group
> -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 2,0K 2010-12-10 00:14 /etc/passwd
>
> I just reproduced the above problem by removing read permissions.
>
> --Reinhold

A tip of this old farts blaze orange winter hunting cap to Reinhold, I
believe that was it as I found all the files that I had reverted by doing
the mv file- to file, to have no read perms for other than root.

Thank you very much. However, in order to fix my ssh login, I logged out
and back in so I am now presented with a 'gene@shop' prompt. But now I've
lost my entry in sudoers, damn. That I assume is a reboot to level 1 fix
only?

The sudoers file looks like this now:
# User privilege specification
root ALL=(ALL) ALL

# Allow members of group sudo to execute any command after they have
# provided their password
# (Note that later entries override this, so you might need to move
# it further down)
%sudo ALL=(ALL) ALL
#
#includedir /etc/sudoers.d

# Members of the admin group may gain root privileges
%admin ALL=(ALL) ALL

IIRC that % sign means its a comment too?

I just waded through the snow and tried to get to the boot menu about 7 or
8 times, but it cannot be done with all the speedboot fixings.

So, how do we get a rescue mode with this now, or am I resigned to taking a
cd out there & seeing if I can recall how to edit the perms on the sudoers
file, which are 444 now and should be 440, so it will not use it, locking
me out. I guess thats the next step anyway, back later.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

Old 02-03-2011, 08:46 PM
reini

On Donnerstag 03 Februar 2011, 21:53:07, gene heskett wrote:
> On Thursday, February 03, 2011 03:17:17 pm Reinhold Rumberger did opine:
> > On Donnerstag 03 Februar 2011, 19:29:17, gene heskett wrote:
> > > Greetings;
> > >
> > > I tried to synchronize my usernum between this machine, and the shop
> > > machine, which amanda also backs up. By modifying everything in /etc
> > > to renumber the user gene from 1000 to 500 like it is here on this
> > > pclos box. That did not gain me write perms in /home/gene on the shop
> > > box, so I reverted everything.
> > >
> > > I can ssh into this machine as 'gene', using my usual passwd, but the
> > > prompt is:
> > > root@shop:/var# logout <-i did a ctrl+d
> > > I have no name!@shop:~$ whoami
> > > whoami: cannot find name for user ID 1000
> > >
> > > Yet I exist in both the original /etc/passwd, /etc/group as 1000:1000
> >
> > I've never used amanda (to complex for my little laptop), so I'm
> > clueless about that, but could you check the permissions on these:
> > -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 1002 2011-01-20 12:21 /etc/group
> > -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 2,0K 2010-12-10 00:14 /etc/passwd
> >
> > I just reproduced the above problem by removing read permissions.
>
> A tip of this old farts blaze orange winter hunting cap to Reinhold, I
> believe that was it as I found all the files that I had reverted by doing
> the mv file- to file, to have no read perms for other than root.

:-)

> Thank you very much. However, in order to fix my ssh login, I logged out
> and back in so I am now presented with a 'gene@shop' prompt. But now I've
> lost my entry in sudoers, damn. That I assume is a reboot to level 1 fix
> only?

Well, you can also try the init=/bin/bash thing.
It would kind of defeat the purpose of using sudo only if you could fix this
without pyhsical access to the machine.
Unless you set the root password...

> The sudoers file looks like this now:
> # User privilege specification
> root ALL=(ALL) ALL
>
> # Allow members of group sudo to execute any command after they have
> # provided their password
> # (Note that later entries override this, so you might need to move
> # it further down)
> %sudo ALL=(ALL) ALL
> #
> #includedir /etc/sudoers.d
>
> # Members of the admin group may gain root privileges
> %admin ALL=(ALL) ALL
>
> IIRC that % sign means its a comment too?

Nope. Means it's a group, not a user.

> I just waded through the snow and tried to get to the boot menu about 7 or
> 8 times, but it cannot be done with all the speedboot fixings.

So holding shift doesn't work? I would suggest using "grub-reboot <entry>",
but that would need root permissions...

> So, how do we get a rescue mode with this now, or am I resigned to taking a
> cd out there & seeing if I can recall how to edit the perms on the sudoers
> file, which are 444 now and should be 440, so it will not use it, locking
> me out. I guess thats the next step anyway, back later.

Depending on which live cd, mounting could be problematic (I prefer Knoppix
which makes this easy). Apart from that it is as simple as doing a
"sudo chmod o-g <mountpoint>/etc/sudoers" on the live system, so that
shouldn't be a problem.

Sorry, but I don't know any other way.

--Reinhold

Old 02-03-2011, 09:06 PM
gene heskett

On Thursday, February 03, 2011 04:46:39 pm gene heskett did opine:

> On Thursday, February 03, 2011 03:17:17 pm Reinhold Rumberger did opine:
> > On Donnerstag 03 Februar 2011, 19:29:17, gene heskett wrote:
> > > Greetings;
> > >
> > > I tried to synchronize my usernum between this machine, and the shop
> > > machine, which amanda also backs up. By modifying everything in
> > > /etc to renumber the user gene from 1000 to 500 like it is here on
> > > this pclos box. That did not gain me write perms in /home/gene on
> > > the shop box, so I reverted everything.
> > >
> > > I can ssh into this machine as 'gene', using my usual passwd, but
> > > the prompt is:
> > > root@shop:/var# logout <-i did a ctrl+d
> > > I have no name!@shop:~$ whoami
> > > whoami: cannot find name for user ID 1000
> > >
> > > Yet I exist in both the original /etc/passwd, /etc/group as
> > > 1000:1000
> >
> > I've never used amanda (to complex for my little laptop), so I'm
> > clueless about that, but could you check the permissions on these:
> > -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 1002 2011-01-20 12:21 /etc/group
> > -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 2,0K 2010-12-10 00:14 /etc/passwd
> >
> > I just reproduced the above problem by removing read permissions.
> >
> > --Reinhold
>
> A tip of this old farts blaze orange winter hunting cap to Reinhold, I
> believe that was it as I found all the files that I had reverted by
> doing the mv file- to file, to have no read perms for other than root.
>
> Thank you very much. However, in order to fix my ssh login, I logged
> out and back in so I am now presented with a 'gene@shop' prompt. But
> now I've lost my entry in sudoers, damn. That I assume is a reboot to
> level 1 fix only?
>
> The sudoers file looks like this now:
> # User privilege specification
> root ALL=(ALL) ALL
>
> # Allow members of group sudo to execute any command after they have
> # provided their password
> # (Note that later entries override this, so you might need to move
> # it further down)
> %sudo ALL=(ALL) ALL
> #
> #includedir /etc/sudoers.d
>
> # Members of the admin group may gain root privileges
> %admin ALL=(ALL) ALL
>
> IIRC that % sign means its a comment too?
>
> I just waded through the snow and tried to get to the boot menu about 7
> or 8 times, but it cannot be done with all the speedboot fixings.
>
> So, how do we get a rescue mode with this now, or am I resigned to
> taking a cd out there & seeing if I can recall how to edit the perms on
> the sudoers file, which are 444 now and should be 440, so it will not
> use it, locking me out. I guess thats the next step anyway, back
> later.

Later turned out to be quite an exercise, I carried about 5 various install
cd's & dvd's out there, and finally found one with a "Rescue" mode. An old
32 bit F10 install dvd that I should have thrown out years ago. But even
so, I could get the file perms to stick about the 1st 7 or 8 times I did
the chroot /mnt/sysimage, the worked on the sudoers file, using up all told
2 full cycles of the 30 boot fsck timeouts before I was actually running.

But now it appears that any error in the xorg.conf file triggers the
failsafe mode, and that fails because it absolutely must run the vesa
driver for this application as the other drivers tie up the interrupts for
way too long and would destroy either the machine, or the parts it is
carving. Unforch, by the time it finds the 'vesa' string in teh xorg.conf
file, the kernel has already loaded the radeon driver and its helpers.

So, what is the std procedure to blacklist the ati/radeon drivers from ever
being loaded so that vesa can do its thing un-molested by the much greedier
ati/radeon stuff?

I doubt that removing them from /lib/modul;es/`uname -
r`/kernel/drvers/video would help as they are probably included in the
initrd. And I just rebooted to find that putting both ati and radeon into
/etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf has no effect, they are still loaded and
showing after a reboot.

So, what's next here?

Thanks.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

Old 02-03-2011, 09:31 PM
gene heskett

On Thursday, February 03, 2011 05:07:30 pm reini did opine:

[...]
> Sorry, but I don't know any other way.
>
> --Reinhold

Thanks Reinhold, I got that fixed so I can sudo again, see my other post
just now. X problems, as in can't get rid of ati/radeon in the lsmod
output. That locks out vesa, which is the driver it MUST use. I just added
vesa to the /etc/modules file & yet another reboot in progress. And that
didn't help.

Now what? This all, videowise, worked until I updated the box about a week
or 10 days ago. The end of the Xorg.0.log:

(II) VESA: driver for VESA chipsets: vesa
(II) Primary Device is: PCI 01@00:00:0
(EE) VESA: Kernel modesetting driver in use, refusing to load
(WW) Falling back to old probe method for vesa
(EE) No devices detected.

Fatal server error:
no screens found

Please consult the The X.Org Foundation support
at http://wiki.x.org
for help.
Please also check the log file at "/var/log/Xorg.0.log" for additional
information.

ddxSigGiveUp: Closing log

and to think that all I really wanted to do here when I started on this
little escapade, was to be able to write an email containing some helpful
gcode snippets directly to a samba share mounted at
/mnt/shop/home/gene/emc2/nc_files directory, being the user gene on both
machines. I don't fully understand why I have got to do a total rebuild of
one or the other installs just to save a file from kmail on this machine,
without saving the file to a local directory, then calling up a root
session of mc to do it with, then following up with a root session on that
box to make that file (chown) usable to me, the common user.

That isn't what linux is all about.

So, how can I get rid of the radeon crap so it can use vesa? That is the
next step in this recovery dance.

Thanks again everybody.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

Most UNIX programmers are great masters of style.
-- The Unnamed Usenetter

Old 02-03-2011, 10:00 PM
Reinhold Rumberger

On Donnerstag 03 Februar 2011, 23:31:22, gene heskett wrote:
> On Thursday, February 03, 2011 05:07:30 pm reini did opine:

<snip>

> Now what? This all, videowise, worked until I updated the box about a week
> or 10 days ago. The end of the Xorg.0.log:
>
> (II) VESA: driver for VESA chipsets: vesa
> (II) Primary Device is: PCI 01@00:00:0
> (EE) VESA: Kernel modesetting driver in use, refusing to load

<snip>

This is due to all that new modesetting stuff happening in the kernel.

You want the nomodeset option:

From what I read that option will be removed at some point in time, so I'm not
sure what will happen then...

--Reinhold

Old 02-03-2011, 11:06 PM
gene heskett

On Thursday, February 03, 2011 06:34:43 pm Reinhold Rumberger did opine:

> On Donnerstag 03 Februar 2011, 23:31:22, gene heskett wrote:
> > On Thursday, February 03, 2011 05:07:30 pm reini did opine:
> <snip>
>
> > Now what? This all, videowise, worked until I updated the box about a
> > week or 10 days ago. The end of the Xorg.0.log:
> >
> > (II) VESA: driver for VESA chipsets: vesa
> > (II) Primary Device is: PCI 01@00:00:0
> > (EE) VESA: Kernel modesetting driver in use, refusing to load
>
> <snip>
>
> This is due to all that new modesetting stuff happening in the kernel.
>
> You want the nomodeset option:
>
> From what I read that option will be removed at some point in time, so
> I'm not sure what will happen then...
>
> --Reinhold

In that event, all the users of emc, and there are hundreds (that we know
of) scattered about this planet, will be screwed. This is a case of none
of the 'improved' drivers being usable, and the vendor drivers are deadly
because they get their performance largely by hogging the IRQ's, often for
hundreds of milliseconds at a time, deadly on a machine that is expected to
output the next step command to the motor drivers in a loop with a sub 50
microsecond cycle time. You cannot tell a stepper motor to come to a
complete halt from 450 rpm, wait for 300 milliseconds, and resume that 450
rpm when the video card decides to let go so the real application can do
its thing. Unable to get back to speed, it will maybe take 1/8th step and
lock up. If it happened to all 4 motors at once, it would just be a
stalled machine requiring all axises to have their zero points reset, the
speed slowed some, and the whole program restarted from the top. That may,
and likely will waste several hours getting back to the point where it
stalled on a previous run, but if it only happens to one of the motors that
was moving the cutting bit out of the way so it can then traverse to the
next cutting point, that traverse which is supposed to be done with
clearance, may well plow the bit crossways through the workpiece a quarter
inch deep. That will wreck the part of course, and quite likely break a
$20+ solid carbide milling cutter into 2 pieces worth only the raw price of
the weight of the carbide itself. Perhaps 50 cents?

Anyway, that once again was the magic potion, fixing it up nicely, but the
picked resolution of 1024x768 is quite a bit less than that monitors native
resolution of about 1650x1280. Could this be alleviated by adding an
option = edid in the device section of xorg.conf? Or even a vga=798 or
some such on the kernel line? The monitor is an lcd, a recent AOC made
unit. From the Xorg.0.log, it looks like edid is at least read:
(II) VESA(0): EDID (in hex):
(II) VESA(0): 00ffffffffffff0005e3311841c80000
(II) VESA(0): 1a140103682917782aeed1a555489b26
(II) VESA(0): 125054bfee00310a614c010101010101
(II) VESA(0): 010101010101662156aa51001e30468f
(II) VESA(0): 33009dea1000001e662150b051001b30
(II) VESA(0): 4070360022130000001e000000fd0037
(II) VESA(0): 4b1e5109000a202020202020000000fc
(II) VESA(0): 00383331570a2020202020202020003e
(II) VESA(0): EDID vendor "AOC", prod id 6193
(II) VESA(0): Using EDID range info for horizontal sync
(II) VESA(0): Using EDID range info for vertical refresh

but I have no clue how to decode that...

Or is this just the limits of the vesa driver? The Xorg.0.log contains
about 50k of its looking at all available modes before picking the one it
ends up using. It seems like there should be a way to nudge it in the
right direction. OTOH, the machine is running beautifully, with instant
response to the keyboard motion keys and can once again 'do good work' ;-)

Thanks Reinhold. A bunch!

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

Old 02-05-2011, 09:05 AM
Reinhold Rumberger

On Freitag 04 Februar 2011, 01:06:33, gene heskett wrote:
> On Thursday, February 03, 2011 06:34:43 pm Reinhold Rumberger did opine:
> > On Donnerstag 03 Februar 2011, 23:31:22, gene heskett wrote:
> > > On Thursday, February 03, 2011 05:07:30 pm reini did opine:
> > <snip>
> >
> > > Now what? This all, videowise, worked until I updated the box about a
> > > week or 10 days ago. The end of the Xorg.0.log:
> > >
> > > (II) VESA: driver for VESA chipsets: vesa
> > > (II) Primary Device is: PCI 01@00:00:0
> > > (EE) VESA: Kernel modesetting driver in use, refusing to load
> >
> > <snip>
> >
> > This is due to all that new modesetting stuff happening in the kernel.
> >
> > You want the nomodeset option:
> > http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1613132
> >
> > From what I read that option will be removed at some point in time, so
> > I'm not sure what will happen then...
>
> In that event, all the users of emc, and there are hundreds (that we know
> of) scattered about this planet, will be screwed.

I'm sure it can be compiled out of the kernel, after all it would only be
deadweight on most server machines. I assume there will be a different kernel
version available in the repos for those who prefer to work without it. No
reason to panic... ;-)

It's just that the kernel parameter will vanish, but even that will only
happen once KMS is stable and mature enough, so I guess it will be around for
a while yet... :-P

<snip>

> Anyway, that once again was the magic potion, fixing it up nicely, but the
> picked resolution of 1024x768 is quite a bit less than that monitors native
> resolution of about 1650x1280.

While I'm not sure what the maximum resolution supported by the vesa driver
is, you can try it out using krandrtray in KDE or xrandr from any command
line. It will show (& let you select) all available resolutions. (You may have
to edit xorg.conf to persist any change here.) If no better resolution is
displayed, you'll either have to live with 1024x768 or try manually setting
additional resolutions in xorg.conf. See countless tutorials around the
internet on how to do this.
Also see the Monitor section of "man xorg.conf".

> Could this be alleviated by adding an
> option = edid in the device section of xorg.conf?

I've never seen any EDID stuff in xorg.conf, but then I haven't been doing
much tweaking of my xorg.conf since 9.04 kept freezing my X. In fact, I
currently don't have an /etc/X11/xorg.conf.

> Or even a vga=798 or
> some such on the kernel line?

That will only affect the vesafb and shouldn't do anything to X. (Luckily, as
it would probably have screwed my X several times already if it did... :-P )

<snipping EDID>

> but I have no clue how to decode that...

Me neither - I don't think we should have to as long as we don't develop
drivers...

> Or is this just the limits of the vesa driver?

man 4 vesa doesn't seem to mention any limits apart from colour depth.

> The Xorg.0.log contains
> about 50k of its looking at all available modes before picking the one it
> ends up using. It seems like there should be a way to nudge it in the
> right direction. OTOH, the machine is running beautifully, with instant
> response to the keyboard motion keys and can once again 'do good work' ;-)
>
> Thanks Reinhold. A bunch!

You're welcome. I always enjoy helping and the research I do often comes in
handy when I run into trouble myself.

--Reinhold
PS: Sorry for the delay, Fridays are always rather busy for me and yesterday I
was so tired, I just went straight to bed.