Old 02-01-2011, 11:07 PM
gene heskett

Default Permissions problems are being a huge PIMA

On Tuesday, February 01, 2011 06:50:46 pm gene heskett did opine:

[...]
> > Something Tom (and me, too, before) forgot are tmp directories. Try
> > the following command and see whether that helps:
> > sudo chown -R gene.gene {,/var}/tmp/*gene*
>
> Got that too.
>
> > The background being that both X and some other programs like to keep
> > temporary files and would probably like permission to actually do
> > so...
> >
> > :-P
> >
> > Whether this will help depends on whether your /tmp is cleaned on
> > every boot, but it definitely shouldn't hurt.
> >
> > You may also want to remove all the different *auth* files in your
> > home directories to re-initialise the different authentication
> > cookies.
>
> Which I should do. Except an ls -laR|less and 10 minutes scanning a
> loooong list didn't disclose that I had any.
>
> > Also, running another "chmod -R gene.gene ~gene/" after the reboot
> > probably won't hurt as some program may still have been running with
> > the old credentials and might have saved some config using them.
>
> I'll keep that in mind.
>
> > --Reinhold
>
> Thanks for that heads-up Reinhold, I found a couple more places in /etc
> where I was still user or group 1000 & fixed those too.
> /etc/samba/smbpasswd was one of them.

Continuing the saga of a self-destructed system, today being decent, I
thought I would go carve on some alu bits & pieces for my automated powder
scales second generation design.

1. when I logged in, x wouldn't run, so I looked to see if I had an
/etc/xorg.conf, but I didn't, other than old backup copies, so I copied it
to xorg.conf and edited it to replace the 'vesa' driver with the ati, which
may have been my mistake, but it turns out that the box is now running at
about 2% of its former speed when emc is running. Bear in mind I changed
it to see if the ati/radeon driver was any better, but it is far worse,
dozens of times slower than the vesa driver was 2 weeks ago.

So, i need to go back to the vesa driver, but that also is acting like its
a 25mhz 386sx. Keyboard responses are typically 2 seconds to recognize a
keydown, and maybe 3 secs to recognize a keyup, with a similar lag between
the keyup, and another keydown else there is no respnse at all. Mouse
clicks similarly lag, and the screen update itself is another 2 to 4
seconds.

This is probably related to my converting the usernums to start at 500, so
at this point I'll check just about everything that might be germain to
this.

So, suggest away folks!

Thanks.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

Old 02-02-2011, 12:28 AM
Reinhold Rumberger

Am Mittwoch 02 Februar 2011, um 01:07:00 schrieb gene heskett:
<snip: I'm a little out of my depth here, so I'll focus on what I *do* know>

> 1. when I logged in, x wouldn't run, so I looked to see if I had an
> /etc/xorg.conf,

Just checking to see that you actually mean /etc/X11/xorg.conf.

> but I didn't, other than old backup copies, so I copied it
> to xorg.conf and edited it to replace the 'vesa' driver with the ati, which
> may have been my mistake, but it turns out that the box is now running at
> about 2% of its former speed when emc is running. Bear in mind I changed
> it to see if the ati/radeon driver was any better, but it is far worse,
> dozens of times slower than the vesa driver was 2 weeks ago.
>
> So, i need to go back to the vesa driver, but that also is acting like its
> a 25mhz 386sx. Keyboard responses are typically 2 seconds to recognize a
> keydown, and maybe 3 secs to recognize a keyup, with a similar lag between
> the keyup, and another keydown else there is no respnse at all. Mouse
> clicks similarly lag, and the screen update itself is another 2 to 4
> seconds.

Is that only with this emc thing? Does it make use of 3D-acceleration?
I'm pretty sure that changing your UID shouldn't have that effect, especially
as the X server is normally started by root/a special system user.
Have you tried running memtest? What do dmesg, /var/log/messages,
/var/log/Xorg.0.log, ... say? Anything suspicious?

--Reinhold

Old 02-02-2011, 12:47 AM
gene heskett

On Tuesday, February 01, 2011 08:42:27 pm Reinhold Rumberger did opine:

> Am Mittwoch 02 Februar 2011, um 01:07:00 schrieb gene heskett:
> <snip: I'm a little out of my depth here, so I'll focus on what I *do*
> know>
>
> > 1. when I logged in, x wouldn't run, so I looked to see if I had an
> > /etc/xorg.conf,
>
> Just checking to see that you actually mean /etc/X11/xorg.conf.
>
> > but I didn't, other than old backup copies, so I copied it
> > to xorg.conf and edited it to replace the 'vesa' driver with the ati,
> > which may have been my mistake, but it turns out that the box is now
> > running at about 2% of its former speed when emc is running. Bear in
> > mind I changed it to see if the ati/radeon driver was any better, but
> > it is far worse, dozens of times slower than the vesa driver was 2
> > weeks ago.
> >
> > So, i need to go back to the vesa driver, but that also is acting like
> > its a 25mhz 386sx. Keyboard responses are typically 2 seconds to
> > recognize a keydown, and maybe 3 secs to recognize a keyup, with a
> > similar lag between the keyup, and another keydown else there is no
> > respnse at all. Mouse clicks similarly lag, and the screen update
> > itself is another 2 to 4 seconds.
>
> Is that only with this emc thing? Does it make use of 3D-acceleration?
> I'm pretty sure that changing your UID shouldn't have that effect,
> especially as the X server is normally started by root/a special system
> user. Have you tried running memtest? What do dmesg, /var/log/messages,
> /var/log/Xorg.0.log, ... say? Anything suspicious?
>
> --Reinhold

They all look fairly clean. Nothing reaches up and gets my attention.
Some un-recognized keycodes, and of course the realtime errors caused by
whatever is making it be super laggy.

Is x actually running at the point where the first user logs in? Or is
that started after the correct pw has been entered?

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

Old 02-02-2011, 12:59 AM
reini

On Mittwoch 02 Februar 2011, 02:47:33, gene heskett wrote:
> On Tuesday, February 01, 2011 08:42:27 pm Reinhold Rumberger did opine:
> > Am Mittwoch 02 Februar 2011, um 01:07:00 schrieb gene heskett:
> > <snip: I'm a little out of my depth here, so I'll focus on what I *do*
> > know>
> >
> > > 1. when I logged in, x wouldn't run, so I looked to see if I had an
> > > /etc/xorg.conf,
> >
> > Just checking to see that you actually mean /etc/X11/xorg.conf.
> >
> > > but I didn't, other than old backup copies, so I copied it
> > > to xorg.conf and edited it to replace the 'vesa' driver with the ati,
> > > which may have been my mistake, but it turns out that the box is now
> > > running at about 2% of its former speed when emc is running. Bear in
> > > mind I changed it to see if the ati/radeon driver was any better, but
> > > it is far worse, dozens of times slower than the vesa driver was 2
> > > weeks ago.
> > >
> > > So, i need to go back to the vesa driver, but that also is acting like
> > > its a 25mhz 386sx. Keyboard responses are typically 2 seconds to
> > > recognize a keydown, and maybe 3 secs to recognize a keyup, with a
> > > similar lag between the keyup, and another keydown else there is no
> > > respnse at all. Mouse clicks similarly lag, and the screen update
> > > itself is another 2 to 4 seconds.
> >
> > Is that only with this emc thing? Does it make use of 3D-acceleration?
> > I'm pretty sure that changing your UID shouldn't have that effect,
> > especially as the X server is normally started by root/a special system
> > user. Have you tried running memtest? What do dmesg, /var/log/messages,
> > /var/log/Xorg.0.log, ... say? Anything suspicious?
> >
> > --Reinhold
>
> They all look fairly clean. Nothing reaches up and gets my attention.
> Some un-recognized keycodes, and of course the realtime errors caused by
> whatever is making it be super laggy.
>
> Is x actually running at the point where the first user logs in? Or is
> that started after the correct pw has been entered?

If you do a graphical login, sure, *DM need an X server. It might actually be
worth a try dropping to a tty before login and using startx to start the X
server (obviously, first do a "sudo stop kdm" or whatever you use to log in).

--Reinhold

Old 02-02-2011, 01:26 AM
gene heskett

On Tuesday, February 01, 2011 09:22:46 pm reini did opine:

> On Mittwoch 02 Februar 2011, 02:47:33, gene heskett wrote:
> > On Tuesday, February 01, 2011 08:42:27 pm Reinhold Rumberger did opine:
> > > Am Mittwoch 02 Februar 2011, um 01:07:00 schrieb gene heskett:
> > > <snip: I'm a little out of my depth here, so I'll focus on what I
> > > *do* know>

> > > Just checking to see that you actually mean /etc/X11/xorg.conf.

> > > Is that only with this emc thing? Does it make use of
> > > 3D-acceleration? I'm pretty sure that changing your UID shouldn't
> > > have that effect, especially as the X server is normally started by
> > > root/a special system user. Have you tried running memtest? What do
> > > dmesg, /var/log/messages, /var/log/Xorg.0.log, ... say? Anything
> > > suspicious?
> > >
> > > --Reinhold
> >
> > They all look fairly clean. Nothing reaches up and gets my attention.
> > Some un-recognized keycodes, and of course the realtime errors caused
> > by whatever is making it be super laggy.
> >
> > Is x actually running at the point where the first user logs in? Or
> > is that started after the correct pw has been entered?
>
> If you do a graphical login, sure, *DM need an X server. It might
> actually be worth a try dropping to a tty before login and using startx
> to start the X server (obviously, first do a "sudo stop kdm" or
> whatever you use to log in).
>
> --Reinhold

I will give that a try if I don't get rained out, I'm on the southern edge
of this superstorm they are talking about. Its been raining here, fairly
steady, for a couple hours now.

Thanks Reinhold.

--
Cheers, Gene