Old 02-01-2011, 10:29 AM
"O. Sinclair"

Default KDE 4.6

Took the plunge and upgraded. So far so good and BOY happy to finally
see Bluetooth work as I was used to in 3.5.10

Kudos to the developers and Kubuntus packagers

Sinclair

Old 03-27-2011, 10:14 AM
Igor Sheykin

Hello,

I think this question is very popular in the last few weeks.
Nevertheless, "When would be KDE 4.6.x added to debian repos?",
or it would be better to ask "Would some new KDE4 versions added to
debian repos before Wheezy stable release?".

What are the reasons why there are no new versions of KDE4 ?

Thanks in advance.

Best regards
Igor Sheykin

Old 03-27-2011, 12:21 PM
Kete

On Sunday March 27, 2011 6:14:24 am Igor Sheykin wrote:
> it would be better to ask "Would some new KDE4 versions added to
> debian repos before Wheezy stable release?".
What the fsck? It's not going to take two years for KDE 4.6 to hit Debian
testing. What have you done to help the volunteers?

Old 03-27-2011, 12:48 PM
Kees de Jong

On Sunday 27 March 2011 14:21:17 Kete wrote:
> On Sunday March 27, 2011 6:14:24 am Igor Sheykin wrote:
> > it would be better to ask "Would some new KDE4 versions added to
> > debian repos before Wheezy stable release?".
>
> What the fsck? It's not going to take two years for KDE 4.6 to hit Debian
> testing. What have you done to help the volunteers?

This question is quite valid
if you ask me. Not everyone is a programmer, so not everyone can just
help. According to the maintainers them self it should have finished a
few weeks ago:
http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2011/02/msg00003.html
So it's not ordinary that people get inpatient and ask these questions. If we
aren't kept up to date then this is the result ;-)

PS: I greatly appreciate the work of the Debian volunteers!!!
I hope KDE 4.6 will hit Testing soon.

Old 03-27-2011, 12:57 PM
Alejandro Exojo

El Sunday 27 March 2011, Igor Sheykin escribió:
> What are the reasons why there are no new versions of KDE4 ?

Don't you understand that Debian packagers work on KDE on their spare time,
and do it for fun?

Emails like this make the experience much less fun, so emails like this delay
everything.

You can not give dates, not even tentative, when you are working on something
on your spare time and is something as complex as Qt and KDE packaging.

--
Alex (a.k.a. suy) | GPG ID 0x0B8B0BC2

Old 03-27-2011, 12:59 PM
Modestas Vainius

Hello,

On sekmadienis 27 Kovas 2011 13:14:24 Igor Sheykin wrote:
> I think this question is very popular in the last few weeks.
> Nevertheless, "When would be KDE 4.6.x added to debian repos?",
> or it would be better to ask "Would some new KDE4 versions added to
> debian repos before Wheezy stable release?".
> What are the reasons why there are no new versions of KDE4 ?

KDE SC 4.6.1 -> http://qt-kde.debian.net/ (ETA a few days). This time new KDE
will not conflict with most third-party applications (e.g. ktorrent, kdiff3
etc.) from official archive (however there might be a few crashes, not sure
yet).

Official archive will get KDE SC 4.6.2 or later.

P.S. Upgrade will not be very smooth for semiofficial KDE SC 4.5.1/4.5.3
users. Some more advanced apt/aptitude/dpkg experience might be needed. Be
prepared.

--
Modestas Vainius <modax@debian.org>

Old 03-27-2011, 01:17 PM
Beojan Stanislaus

On Sunday 27 March 2011 13:59:46 Modestas Vainius wrote:
> Hello,
>
> On sekmadienis 27 Kovas 2011 13:14:24 Igor Sheykin wrote:
> > I think this question is very popular in the last few weeks.
> > Nevertheless, "When would be KDE 4.6.x added to debian repos?",
> > or it would be better to ask "Would some new KDE4 versions added to
> > debian repos before Wheezy stable release?".
> > What are the reasons why there are no new versions of KDE4 ?
>
> KDE SC 4.6.1 -> http://qt-kde.debian.net/ (ETA a few days). This time new
> KDE will not conflict with most third-party applications (e.g. ktorrent,
> kdiff3 etc.) from official archive (however there might be a few crashes,
> not sure yet).
>
> Official archive will get KDE SC 4.6.2 or later.
>
> P.S. Upgrade will not be very smooth for semiofficial KDE SC 4.5.1/4.5.3
> users. Some more advanced apt/aptitude/dpkg experience might be needed. Be
> prepared.

What I don't understand is the reason why the same packaging (as for 4.5.1)
can't be used (simply updating the version numbers, and uploaders field, and
such things). Is there a big change in dependancies, or how KDE is compiled,
of something of that sort?

Old 03-27-2011, 02:00 PM
Modestas Vainius

Hello,

On sekmadienis 27 Kovas 2011 16:17:07 Beojan Stanislaus wrote:

> What I don't understand is the reason why the same packaging (as for 4.5.1)
> can't be used (simply updating the version numbers, and uploaders field,
> and such things).

Well, it is not that simple. A tiny package typically requires more changes
than this. KDE packaging is complex, KDE is huge, it takes much time even to
barely rebuild the packages.

> Is there a big change in dependancies, or how KDE is
> compiled, of something of that sort?

There will be some major internal packaging changes. And I already noted one
of the new "user-visible" packaging features but I can quote again:

--
Modestas Vainius <modax@debian.org>

Old 03-27-2011, 03:21 PM
Kete

Hi,

On Sunday March 27, 2011 8:48:45 am Kees de Jong wrote:

> > On Sunday 27 March 2011 14:21:17 Kete wrote:

> > What have you done to help the volunteers?

> Not everyone is a programmer, so not everyone can just

> help.

Never forget:

http://lists.debian.org/debian-kde/2011/01/msg00047.html

Old 03-28-2011, 02:47 PM
"Boyd Stephen Smith Jr."

On 2011-03-27 07:48:45 Kees de Jong wrote:
>On Sunday 27 March 2011 14:21:17 Kete wrote:
>> On Sunday March 27, 2011 6:14:24 am Igor Sheykin wrote:
>> > it would be better to ask "Would some new KDE4 versions added to
>> > debian repos before Wheezy stable release?".
>>
>> It's not going to take two years for KDE 4.6 to hit Debian
>> testing. What have you done to help the volunteers?
>
>This question is quite valid
>if you ask me.

We didn't.

>Not everyone is a programmer, so not everyone can just
>help.

What makes you think only programmers are involved in the process? Package
maintenance entails a lot of tasks that don't involve reading or writing code.
Documentation, testing, and communication can be done by almost anyone. Those
are just examples.

I ask again: What have you done to help the volunteers?
--
Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. ,= ,-_-. =.
bss@iguanasuicide.net ((_/)o o(\_))