Old 01-31-2011, 02:46 PM
gene heskett

Default Permissions problems are being a huge PIMA

Greetings;

I do the 99.999999999% of my email activities from a nice comfy chair, in a
nice comfy heated house.

My pair of Kubuntu installs are in the garage (rarely fired up in colder
weather because the car is in the way) and in an outbuilding that is only
heated enough to control the dew point and protect the machinery there from
rust, as it likewise gets relatively little use when the temps go below
about 45F.

The machine in the shop runs 24/7 though, so it is 'mounted' as a cifs
share, and this is where the PIMA starts.

Because the *buntu's start their user number schemes at 1000, whereas the
rest of the known universe starts at 500, even though I am the user gene on
both boxes, I have no write perms via cifs in the /home/gene tree on the
milling machines kubuntu install.

So that I can save a useful bit of rs-274 nc code directly from an email
received on this machine, directly to the /home/gene/emc/nc_files directory
on that *buntu box in the shop, what then is the std procedure to establish
that the user gene=500 on this box, is the user gene=1000 on that box?

Thanks.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

Old 01-31-2011, 03:22 PM
Reinhold Rumberger

Am Montag 31 Januar 2011, um 16:46:16 schrieb gene heskett:
> Greetings;
>
> I do the 99.999999999% of my email activities from a nice comfy chair, in a
> nice comfy heated house.
>
> My pair of Kubuntu installs are in the garage (rarely fired up in colder
> weather because the car is in the way) and in an outbuilding that is only
> heated enough to control the dew point and protect the machinery there from
> rust, as it likewise gets relatively little use when the temps go below
> about 45F.
>
> The machine in the shop runs 24/7 though, so it is 'mounted' as a cifs
> share, and this is where the PIMA starts.
>
> Because the *buntu's start their user number schemes at 1000, whereas the
> rest of the known universe starts at 500, even though I am the user gene on
> both boxes, I have no write perms via cifs in the /home/gene tree on the
> milling machines kubuntu install.
>
> So that I can save a useful bit of rs-274 nc code directly from an email
> received on this machine, directly to the /home/gene/emc/nc_files directory
> on that *buntu box in the shop, what then is the std procedure to establish
> that the user gene=500 on this box, is the user gene=1000 on that box?

from man mount.cifs:
uid=arg
sets the uid that will own all files or directories on the mounted
filesystem when the server does not provide ownership information.
It may be specified as either a username or a numeric uid. When not
specified, the default is uid 0. The mount.cifs helper must be at
version 1.10 or higher to support specifying the uid in non-numeric
form. See the section on FILE AND DIRECTORY OWNERSHIP AND
PERMISSIONS below for more information.

forceuid
instructs the client to ignore any uid provided by the server for
files and directories and to always assign the owner to be the
value of the uid= option. See the section on FILE AND DIRECTORY
OWNERSHIP AND PERMISSIONS below for more information.

Personally, I'd do it via groups, i.e. create a group on all machines that
need a common set of permissions with the same GID (say, 1111), add the
individual users of each machine to the group and make sure the
files/directories you want to share all have read/write permissions set for
that group (or for the group field, if cifs doesn't support ACLs - I don't
really know cifs).

BTW, the least hacky solution would be to make sure all the users share UID
1000, but that would require that all files belonging to the user which had to
be changed are also moved to that UID, and that is quite a hassle.

--Reinhold

Old 01-31-2011, 03:51 PM
Tom H

On Mon, Jan 31, 2011 at 10:46 AM, gene heskett <gheskett@wdtv.com> wrote:

> I do the 99.999999999% of my email activities from a nice comfy chair, in a
> nice comfy heated house.
>
> The machine in the shop runs 24/7 though, so it is 'mounted' as a cifs
> share, and this is where the PIMA starts.
>
> Because the *buntu's start their user number schemes at 1000, whereas the
> rest of the known universe starts at 500, even though I am the user gene on
> both boxes, I have no write perms via cifs in the /home/gene tree on the
> milling machines kubuntu install.
>
> So that I can save a useful bit of rs-274 nc code directly from an email
> received on this machine, directly to the /home/gene/emc/nc_files directory
> on that *buntu box in the shop, what then is the std procedure to establish
> that the user gene=500 on this box, is the user gene=1000 on that box?

The "UID_MIN 1000" setting is a Debianism that you can modify in
"/etc/login.defs".

If you're using samba, you can use the "username map" smb.conf option
with /path/to/file/users.map.

Old 01-31-2011, 05:39 PM
gene heskett

On Monday, January 31, 2011 01:05:15 pm Reinhold Rumberger did opine:

> Am Montag 31 Januar 2011, um 16:46:16 schrieb gene heskett:
> > Greetings;
> >
> > I do the 99.999999999% of my email activities from a nice comfy chair,
> > in a nice comfy heated house.
> >
> > My pair of Kubuntu installs are in the garage (rarely fired up in
> > colder weather because the car is in the way) and in an outbuilding
> > that is only heated enough to control the dew point and protect the
> > machinery there from rust, as it likewise gets relatively little use
> > when the temps go below about 45F.
> >
> > The machine in the shop runs 24/7 though, so it is 'mounted' as a cifs
> > share, and this is where the PIMA starts.
> >
> > Because the *buntu's start their user number schemes at 1000, whereas
> > the rest of the known universe starts at 500, even though I am the
> > user gene on both boxes, I have no write perms via cifs in the
> > /home/gene tree on the milling machines kubuntu install.
> >
> > So that I can save a useful bit of rs-274 nc code directly from an
> > email received on this machine, directly to the
> > /home/gene/emc/nc_files directory on that *buntu box in the shop,
> > what then is the std procedure to establish that the user gene=500 on
> > this box, is the user gene=1000 on that box?
>
> from man mount.cifs:
> uid=arg
> sets the uid that will own all files or directories on the
> mounted filesystem when the server does not provide ownership
> information. It may be specified as either a username or a numeric uid.
> When not specified, the default is uid 0. The mount.cifs helper must be
> at version 1.10 or higher to support specifying the uid in non-numeric
> form. See the section on FILE AND DIRECTORY OWNERSHIP AND PERMISSIONS
> below for more information.
>
> forceuid
> instructs the client to ignore any uid provided by the server for
> files and directories and to always assign the owner to be the
> value of the uid= option. See the section on FILE AND DIRECTORY
> OWNERSHIP AND PERMISSIONS below for more information.

My machine didn't have this mount.cifs file, so I stole it from another
defunct install, then following these instructions, I did an umount and a
remount as root like this:

mount -t cifs -o
user=gene,passwd=XXXXXXX,uid=1000,forceuid,gid=100 0,forcegid
//shop.coyote.den/shop-slash /mnt/shop

Which did not throw an error, but I still can't save that email to the
kubuntu box. Something about a repeating .mbox problem this time.
copy/paste from the error window:

Could not write to /mnt/shop/home/gene/emc2/nc_files/gcode/[Emc-users]
Repeating Code.mbox.part

I had been using 'security = share' in all my smb.conf files so I changed
that to 'user' but now I have no permissions to mount it, so back to
'share' I guess.

> Personally, I'd do it via groups, i.e. create a group on all machines
> that need a common set of permissions with the same GID (say, 1111),
> add the individual users of each machine to the group and make sure the
> files/directories you want to share all have read/write permissions set
> for that group (or for the group field, if cifs doesn't support ACLs -
> I don't really know cifs).

Maybe this is something I could fix in the smb.conf file here, and in the
smb.client file there?

That sound a little like a mine field. But I may have to try it since the
above didn't appear to work.

> BTW, the least hacky solution would be to make sure all the users share
> UID 1000, but that would require that all files belonging to the user
> which had to be changed are also moved to that UID, and that is quite a
> hassle.

That would be more than just a 'hassle' I imagine. ;-)

Thanks Reinhold.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

Old 01-31-2011, 06:19 PM
gene heskett

On Monday, January 31, 2011 02:18:25 pm Tom H did opine:

> On Mon, Jan 31, 2011 at 10:46 AM, gene heskett <gheskett@wdtv.com> wrote:
> > I do the 99.999999999% of my email activities from a nice comfy chair,
> > in a nice comfy heated house.
> >
> > The machine in the shop runs 24/7 though, so it is 'mounted' as a cifs
> > share, and this is where the PIMA starts.
> >
> > Because the *buntu's start their user number schemes at 1000, whereas
> > the rest of the known universe starts at 500, even though I am the
> > user gene on both boxes, I have no write perms via cifs in the
> > /home/gene tree on the milling machines kubuntu install.
> >
> > So that I can save a useful bit of rs-274 nc code directly from an
> > email received on this machine, directly to the
> > /home/gene/emc/nc_files directory on that *buntu box in the shop,
> > what then is the std procedure to establish that the user gene=500 on
> > this box, is the user gene=1000 on that box?
>
> The "UID_MIN 1000" setting is a Debianism that you can modify in
> "/etc/login.defs".

As that is set at install time, from read-only media, that doesn't sound
practical to do now.

> If you're using samba, you can use the "username map" smb.conf option
> with /path/to/file/users.map.

Now this I'll have to look up, thank you!

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

Old 01-31-2011, 07:17 PM
Reinhold Rumberger

Am Montag 31 Januar 2011, um 19:39:28 schrieb gene heskett:
> On Monday, January 31, 2011 01:05:15 pm Reinhold Rumberger did opine:

<snip problem description>

> > from man mount.cifs:
> > uid=arg
> > sets the uid that will own all files or directories on the
> > mounted filesystem when the server does not provide ownership
> > information. It may be specified as either a username or a numeric uid.
> > When not specified, the default is uid 0. The mount.cifs helper must be
> > at version 1.10 or higher to support specifying the uid in non-numeric
> > form. See the section on FILE AND DIRECTORY OWNERSHIP AND PERMISSIONS
> > below for more information.
> >
> > forceuid
> > instructs the client to ignore any uid provided by the server for
> > files and directories and to always assign the owner to be the
> > value of the uid= option. See the section on FILE AND DIRECTORY
> > OWNERSHIP AND PERMISSIONS below for more information.
>
> My machine didn't have this mount.cifs file,

Depending on the install it might be contained in man mount (search for the
cifs section).

> so I stole it from another
> defunct install, then following these instructions, I did an umount and a
> remount as root like this:
>
> mount -t cifs -o
> user=gene,passwd=XXXXXXX,uid=1000,forceuid,gid=100 0,forcegid
> //shop.coyote.den/shop-slash /mnt/shop

Assuming (from the path below) that that refers to the root directory on the
server machine, this is really dangerous as every single directory is now
writable to your gene user (probably, anyway). Does the method Tom H posted
not work for you? (I didn't know this was possible in samba):

Am Montag 31 Januar 2011, um 17:51:24 schrieb Tom H:
> If you're using samba, you can use the "username map" smb.conf option
> with /path/to/file/users.map.

> Which did not throw an error, but I still can't save that email to the
> kubuntu box. Something about a repeating .mbox problem this time.
> copy/paste from the error window:
>
> Could not write to /mnt/shop/home/gene/emc2/nc_files/gcode/[Emc-users]
> Repeating Code.mbox.part

I don't seem to know this particular error, so you'll have to google it
yourself... :-P

> I had been using 'security = share' in all my smb.conf files so I changed
> that to 'user' but now I have no permissions to mount it, so back to
> 'share' I guess.
>
> > Personally, I'd do it via groups, i.e. create a group on all machines
> > that need a common set of permissions with the same GID (say, 1111),
> > add the individual users of each machine to the group and make sure the
> > files/directories you want to share all have read/write permissions set
> > for that group (or for the group field, if cifs doesn't support ACLs -
> > I don't really know cifs).
>
> Maybe this is something I could fix in the smb.conf file here, and in the
> smb.client file there?

I try to avoid samba where I can, so I don't really know about this.

> That sound a little like a mine field. But I may have to try it since the
> above didn't appear to work.

If ACLs are supported, it is quite easy and safe. If not, this might lead to
group hell and could have some *really* annoying side effects.
I'd first try Tom's solution and give serious thought to the changing UID for
the user (either all to 1000 or to 500, whichever is less work) before I tried
using groups without ACLs.

> > BTW, the least hacky solution would be to make sure all the users share
> > UID 1000, but that would require that all files belonging to the user
> > which had to be changed are also moved to that UID, and that is quite a
> > hassle.
>
> That would be more than just a 'hassle' I imagine. ;-)

Well, depends on whether you still know all the paths that would need to be
adapted. For the home directory it would be as simple as as executing
"chown -R 1000 ~/". Do the same for any ext* or reiserfs partitions that
contain data the user has access to (multimedia drives come to mind).

It really depends on your setup, for me this would take all of five minutes...

--Reinhold

Old 01-31-2011, 07:20 PM
Steve Morris

On 01/02/11 06:19, gene heskett wrote:
> On Monday, January 31, 2011 02:18:25 pm Tom H did opine:
>
>> On Mon, Jan 31, 2011 at 10:46 AM, gene heskett <gheskett@wdtv.com> wrote:
>>> I do the 99.999999999% of my email activities from a nice comfy chair,
>>> in a nice comfy heated house.
>>>
>>> The machine in the shop runs 24/7 though, so it is 'mounted' as a cifs
>>> share, and this is where the PIMA starts.
>>>
>>> Because the *buntu's start their user number schemes at 1000, whereas
>>> the rest of the known universe starts at 500, even though I am the
>>> user gene on both boxes, I have no write perms via cifs in the
>>> /home/gene tree on the milling machines kubuntu install.
>>>
>>> So that I can save a useful bit of rs-274 nc code directly from an
>>> email received on this machine, directly to the
>>> /home/gene/emc/nc_files directory on that *buntu box in the shop,
>>> what then is the std procedure to establish that the user gene=500 on
>>> this box, is the user gene=1000 on that box?
>> The "UID_MIN 1000" setting is a Debianism that you can modify in
>> "/etc/login.defs".
>>
> As that is set at install time, from read-only media, that doesn't sound
> practical to do now.
>
>> If you're using samba, you can use the "username map" smb.conf option
>> with /path/to/file/users.map.
Hi Gene, if you are going down this path you may want to look at
installing Webmin, which is a browser based system configuration tool. I
haven't looked at this for a while but earlier versions provided an
interface to build this mapping for you, with the main intent of
translating from windows usernames to linux usernames, but the same
concept applies here.

regards,
Steve

Old 01-31-2011, 08:40 PM
gene heskett

On Monday, January 31, 2011 04:18:06 pm Reinhold Rumberger did opine:

> Am Montag 31 Januar 2011, um 19:39:28 schrieb gene heskett:
> > On Monday, January 31, 2011 01:05:15 pm Reinhold Rumberger did opine:
> <snip problem description>
>
> > > from man mount.cifs:
> > > uid=arg
> > >
> > > sets the uid that will own all files or directories on the
> > > mounted filesystem when the server does not provide ownership
> > > information. It may be specified as either a username or a numeric
> > > uid. When not specified, the default is uid 0. The mount.cifs
> > > helper must be at version 1.10 or higher to support specifying
> > > the uid in non-numeric form. See the section on FILE AND
> > > DIRECTORY OWNERSHIP AND PERMISSIONS below for more information.
> > >
> > > forceuid
> > >
> > > instructs the client to ignore any uid provided by the server
> > > for files and directories and to always assign the owner to
> > > be the value of the uid= option. See the section on FILE AND
> > > DIRECTORY OWNERSHIP AND PERMISSIONS below for more
> > > information.
> >
> > My machine didn't have this mount.cifs file,
>
> Depending on the install it might be contained in man mount (search for
> the cifs section).

Not having seen them merged like that before,

Mount options for cifs
See the options section of the mount.cifs(8) man page (samba-client
package must be installed).

Seems to be the only reference in my copy.

> > so I stole it from another
> > defunct install, then following these instructions, I did an umount
> > and a remount as root like this:
> >
> > mount -t cifs -o
> > user=gene,passwd=XXXXXXX,uid=1000,forceuid,gid=100 0,forcegid
> > //shop.coyote.den/shop-slash /mnt/shop
>
> Assuming (from the path below) that that refers to the root directory on
> the server machine, this is really dangerous as every single directory
> is now writable to your gene user (probably, anyway). Does the method
> Tom H posted not work for you? (I didn't know this was possible in
> samba):

The actual mount command in my rc.local file has that wrapped in an su -
gene -c "mount etc" so theoretically the whole mount is mine, not roots.
I know I can't write just any old place, its been tried by accident.

> Am Montag 31 Januar 2011, um 17:51:24 schrieb Tom H:
> > If you're using samba, you can use the "username map" smb.conf option
> > with /path/to/file/users.map.
> >
> > Which did not throw an error, but I still can't save that email to the
> > kubuntu box. Something about a repeating .mbox problem this time.
> > copy/paste from the error window:
> >
> > Could not write to /mnt/shop/home/gene/emc2/nc_files/gcode/[Emc-users]
> > Repeating Code.mbox.part

Looking at that again, that [Emc-users].part, maybe the [] aren't legal
filenames? However, a retry w/o the [Emc-users] didn't effect it, still
'access denied'

I guess I'll have to copy/paste it between 2 copies of vim. And that
worked.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

Old 01-31-2011, 09:15 PM
gene heskett

On Monday, January 31, 2011 04:57:56 pm Steve Morris did opine:

> On 01/02/11 06:19, gene heskett wrote:
> > On Monday, January 31, 2011 02:18:25 pm Tom H did opine:

> >> The "UID_MIN 1000" setting is a Debianism that you can modify in
> >> "/etc/login.defs".
> >
> > As that is set at install time, from read-only media, that doesn't
> > sound practical to do now.
> >
> >> If you're using samba, you can use the "username map" smb.conf option
> >> with /path/to/file/users.map.
>
> Hi Gene, if you are going down this path you may want to look at
> installing Webmin, which is a browser based system configuration tool. I
> haven't looked at this for a while but earlier versions provided an
> interface to build this mapping for you, with the main intent of
> translating from windows usernames to linux usernames, but the same
> concept applies here.
>
> regards,
> Steve
>
> > Now this I'll have to look up, thank you!

Looked it over after installing 1.490 on this box, but don't see anything
cifs/samba related, and its attempt to update after calling home wasn't
successful, dns lookup failure.

I'd assume that where I need to be running it is on the shop box, right?
This was on this box after installing it. Trying it pointed at the
shop.coyote.den:10000 address would seem to indicate webmin is not
installed on that machine. And, synaptic cannot find that package, do the
buntu's call it something else?

Thanks Steve.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

Old 01-31-2011, 09:30 PM
Tom H

On Mon, Jan 31, 2011 at 2:19 PM, gene heskett <gheskett@wdtv.com> wrote:
> On Monday, January 31, 2011 02:18:25 pm Tom H did opine:
>> On Mon, Jan 31, 2011 at 10:46 AM, gene heskett <gheskett@wdtv.com> wrote:

>> > I do the 99.999999999% of my email activities from a nice comfy chair,
>> > in a nice comfy heated house.
>> >
>> > The machine in the shop runs 24/7 though, so it is 'mounted' as a cifs
>> > share, and this is where the PIMA starts.
>> >
>> > Because the *buntu's start their user number schemes at 1000, whereas
>> > the rest of the known universe starts at 500, even though I am the
>> > user gene on both boxes, I have no write perms via cifs in the
>> > /home/gene tree on the milling machines kubuntu install.
>> >
>> > So that I can save a useful bit of rs-274 nc code directly from an
>> > email received on this machine, directly to the
>> > /home/gene/emc/nc_files directory on that *buntu box in the shop,
>> > what then is the std procedure to establish that the user gene=500 on
>> > this box, is the user gene=1000 on that box?
>>
>> The "UID_MIN 1000" setting is a Debianism that you can modify in
>> "/etc/login.defs".
>>
> As that is set at install time, from read-only media, that doesn't sound
> practical to do now.

You can boot into single user mode and do either of the following:

1. Delete the user created at install, modify "/etc/login.defs", and
re-create the user. (Only useful at first boot!)

2. Modify the uid of the user, modify "/etc/login.defs", and chown
the user's home directory recursively with the new uid.

(You may also have to edit "/etc/adduser.conf" if you use adduser
rather than useradd.)

>> If you're using samba, you can use the "username map" smb.conf option
>> with /path/to/file/users.map.
>
> Now this I'll have to look up, thank you!

You're welcome.