FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Ubuntu > Kubuntu User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 01-30-2011, 03:45 PM
JK
 
Default Problem on updating to KDE 6.0

I have Maverick 10.10 installed in my laptop and everything was running
fine. Yesterday I have added backports and updated the KDE from 5.5 to
6.0. All the updates were applied. But on restart it says it could not
open the theme file. I am in a dilemma. This is being sent using my
PC/windows. Anybody please suggest how can I login bypassing the theme
loading as said or using/installing another desktop other than KDE



--
Using Opera's revolutionary email client: http://www.opera.com/mail/

--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
 
Old 01-31-2011, 07:52 AM
Nils Kassube
 
Default Problem on updating to KDE 6.0

JK wrote:
> I have Maverick 10.10 installed in my laptop and everything was
> running fine. Yesterday I have added backports and updated the KDE
> from 5.5 to 6.0.

That's KDE 4.5.5 / 4.6.0, isn't it?

> All the updates were applied. But on restart it
> says it could not open the theme file. I am in a dilemma. This is
> being sent using my PC/windows. Anybody please suggest how can I
> login bypassing the theme loading as said or using/installing
> another desktop other than KDE

Sorry, I have no idea what to do about the theme file problem, but if
you want to return to the older working KDE version, this is how I would
do it:

I'm not sure if you get the KDM screen - from there you can get a
terminal to login with Ctrl-Alt-F2. Otherwise you could use the recovery
mode from the grub menu. After login I would install the xubuntu
desktop:

sudo apt-get install xubuntu-desktop

Then you should be able to login to the xfce desktop (change the session
type in the display manager) and start the synaptic package manager. On
the lower left select the "Origin" button and click on the line which
should read something like "maverick-backports/main". Then you should
see the new KDE packages on the upper right list. You can mark them all
for complete removal and repeat it with packages from the other
maverick-backports repositories. Then click on the "Custom filters"
button at the lower left and select the "Marked Changes" line above.
Check that no vital things for the xfce desktop are marked and finally
hit the "Apply" button. After the packages are removed, go to the menu
"Settings" -> "Repositories" and uncheck the backports repositories.
Click the OK button, then click the reload button. Now search for the
package "kubuntu-desktop" and mark it for installation. That should
bring you back the older KDE version, if you finally hit the "Apply"
button.

Disclaimer: I didn't try this myself, so I may have forgotten something
important.


Nils

--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
 
Old 01-31-2011, 11:15 AM
Clay Weber
 
Default Problem on updating to KDE 6.0

On Monday, January 31, 2011 03:52:54 AM Nils Kassube wrote:
> JK wrote:
> > I have Maverick 10.10 installed in my laptop and everything was
> > running fine. Yesterday I have added backports and updated the KDE
> > from 5.5 to 6.0.
>
> That's KDE 4.5.5 / 4.6.0, isn't it?
>
> > All the updates were applied. But on restart it
> > says it could not open the theme file. I am in a dilemma. This is
> > being sent using my PC/windows. Anybody please suggest how can I
> > login bypassing the theme loading as said or using/installing
> > another desktop other than KDE
>
> Sorry, I have no idea what to do about the theme file problem, but if
> you want to return to the older working KDE version, this is how I would
> do it:
>
> I'm not sure if you get the KDM screen - from there you can get a
> terminal to login with Ctrl-Alt-F2. Otherwise you could use the recovery
> mode from the grub menu. After login I would install the xubuntu
> desktop:
>
> sudo apt-get install xubuntu-desktop
>
> Then you should be able to login to the xfce desktop (change the session
> type in the display manager) and start the synaptic package manager. On
> the lower left select the "Origin" button and click on the line which
> should read something like "maverick-backports/main". Then you should
> see the new KDE packages on the upper right list. You can mark them all
> for complete removal and repeat it with packages from the other
> maverick-backports repositories. Then click on the "Custom filters"
> button at the lower left and select the "Marked Changes" line above.
> Check that no vital things for the xfce desktop are marked and finally
> hit the "Apply" button. After the packages are removed, go to the menu
> "Settings" -> "Repositories" and uncheck the backports repositories.
> Click the OK button, then click the reload button. Now search for the
> package "kubuntu-desktop" and mark it for installation. That should
> bring you back the older KDE version, if you finally hit the "Apply"
> button.
>
> Disclaimer: I didn't try this myself, so I may have forgotten something
> important.
>
>
> Nils

http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/index.php?topic=3115441.0
has quick instructions on fixing it without needing to install an whole extra
desktop.


Clay Weber
http://kubuntuforums.net
http://flyballmaine.com
http://emacdogsports.com

--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
 
Old 01-31-2011, 12:44 PM
Nils Kassube
 
Default Problem on updating to KDE 6.0

Clay Weber wrote:
> http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/index.php?topic=3115441.0
> has quick instructions on fixing it without needing to install an
> whole extra desktop.

Thanks Clay, I didn't google myself but expected that the OP had done
that without success. As there was no reply here, I just wrote up how I
would circumvent the problem, which is not necessarily the most
efficient solution.


Nils

--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
 
Old 01-31-2011, 02:20 PM
Clay Weber
 
Default Problem on updating to KDE 6.0

On Monday, January 31, 2011 08:44:18 AM Nils Kassube wrote:
> Clay Weber wrote:
> > http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/index.php?topic=3115441.0
> > has quick instructions on fixing it without needing to install an
> > whole extra desktop.
>
> Thanks Clay, I didn't google myself but expected that the OP had done
> that without success. As there was no reply here, I just wrote up how I
> would circumvent the problem, which is not necessarily the most
> efficient solution.
>
>
> Nils
options are always good
btw I didn't google the solution, as a mod on Kubuntuforums, I tend to see
more posts from there, and it was a very recent one to boot

Actually there is even another way to fix this:
From grub, select recovery mode, then at the prompt select 'resume normal
boot' or whatever it is labeled, which actually will boot you to a command
prompt login (bypassing KDM). login with your username and password, and then
enter 'startx' which will start kde manually. Then you can go into System
Settings and adjust/fix the Login Screen settings

When you log out, however, you will be back at the command prompt. So to
restart KDM properly without having to reboot, you will have to enter:
$ sudo service kdm start (or restart perhaps if it says kdm is already
running)


Clay Weber
http://kubuntuforums.net
http://flyballmaine.com
http://emacdogsports.com

--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 04:31 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org