Old 02-05-2008, 09:35 PM
"D. R. Evans"

Default Q: viewing fonts quickly

Does anyone have a suggestion for how to quickly go through the large
number of fonts on the system so one can see if one has one installed that
looks for the job at hand?

I'm thinking of something that would allow one to view samples of each font
at the rate of something like one font per second.

Doc

Old 02-05-2008, 09:43 PM
Craig Drummond

On Tuesday 05 Feb 2008, D. R. Evans wrote:
> Does anyone have a suggestion for how to quickly go through the large
> number of fonts on the system so one can see if one has one installed that
> looks for the job at hand?

KDE4's font installer:

http://home.freeuk.com/cpdrummond/fontinst-mgt1.png

It should be in SystemSettings. Does that help?

Craig.

Old 02-05-2008, 10:30 PM
"D. R. Evans"

Craig Drummond said the following at 02/05/2008 03:43 PM :
> On Tuesday 05 Feb 2008, D. R. Evans wrote:
>> Does anyone have a suggestion for how to quickly go through the large
>> number of fonts on the system so one can see if one has one installed that
>> looks for the job at hand?
>
> KDE4's font installer:
>
> http://home.freeuk.com/cpdrummond/fontinst-mgt1.png
>
> It should be in SystemSettings. Does that help?

Not really, although thanks for the suggestion. I'm not going to install
KDE4 until it's stable and absolutely guaranteed not to hose my KDE3
installation.

It does look nice, though.

I ended up using OOo Writer -- just clicking on the drop-down to change
font brings up a usable preview window. Not perfect, but a whole lot better
than anything else I could come up with.

Doc

Old 02-05-2008, 10:50 PM
Juan Carlos Torres

On Wednesday 06 February 2008 7:30:54 am D. R. Evans wrote:
> Craig Drummond said the following at 02/05/2008 03:43 PM :
> > On Tuesday 05 Feb 2008, D. R. Evans wrote:
> >> Does anyone have a suggestion for how to quickly go through the large
> >> number of fonts on the system so one can see if one has one installed
> >> that looks for the job at hand?
> >
> > KDE4's font installer:
> >
> > http://home.freeuk.com/cpdrummond/fontinst-mgt1.png
> >
> > It should be in SystemSettings. Does that help?
>
> Not really, although thanks for the suggestion. I'm not going to install
> KDE4 until it's stable and absolutely guaranteed not to hose my KDE3
> installation.

KDE 3 has a font installer too. The KDE 4 version is just a refactoring of the
KDE 3 version. It's in System Settings as well (or KControl if you prefer
that).

--
Juan Carlos G. Torres
Jucato

Old 02-06-2008, 12:30 AM
"D. Michael McIntyre"

On Tuesday 05 February 2008, Craig Drummond wrote:
> KDE4's font installer:
>
> http://home.freeuk.com/cpdrummond/fontinst-mgt1.png

Hey, Craig! The unsung hero of font dummies everywhere is still on the job, I
see!

I'm sort of surprised to see you over here in this corner of the world. It's
a pleasant surprise.

--
D. Michael McIntyre

Old 02-06-2008, 03:15 AM
Donn

> Does anyone have a suggestion for how to quickly go through the large
> number of fonts on the system so one can see if one has one installed that
> looks for the job at hand?
I wrote Fonty Python for (almost) this kind of thing. It ain't gonna do a font
per second but it lets you view fonts that are *not* installed but just
sitting in a folder someplace. You can then temporarily group and install the
ones you want.

I like to keep the number of fonts installed small. I hate loooooong font
choosers. Even so, I still have the most bizarre fonts that I never use and
don't know how to get rid of -- they sort of apt-creep in it seems.

So, it might help you if you change your use-approach.

https://savannah.nongnu.org/projects/fontypython/

Fonty Python and other dev news at:
http://otherwiseingle.blogspot.com/

Old 02-06-2008, 03:40 AM
"Michael Hirsch"

On Feb 5, 2008 3:35 PM, D. R. Evans <doc.evans@gmail.com> wrote:
> Does anyone have a suggestion for how to quickly go through the large
> number of fonts on the system so one can see if one has one installed that
> looks for the job at hand?

Open kword and look in the font drop down. Each font name is rendered
in itself. Granted, this doesn't let you see the specific text you
are interested in, but it does let you see all the fonts pretty
quickly.

Michael

Old 02-06-2008, 04:14 AM
Donn

Another idea is to use Inkscape - it does not use a drop-down (damn I hate
those things) and it's easier to scroll around and view fonts with.

I do not believe in the collective wisdom of individual ignorance.
-- Thomas Carlyle

Old 02-06-2008, 03:16 PM
"D. R. Evans"

Juan Carlos Torres said the following at 02/05/2008 04:50 PM :

> KDE 3 has a font installer too. The KDE 4 version is just a refactoring of the
> KDE 3 version. It's in System Settings as well (or KControl if you prefer
> that).

You mean that actually does something in your KDE3 system? It doesn't seem
to do anything at all here. It says that I should click the Admin button to
see system fonts (which seems ridiculous; why should I need to be
sudo-enabled in order just to preview fonts?) but when I do that the screen
stays as blank as ever.

Doc