Old 01-27-2011, 04:51 PM
"Alan Dacey Sr."

Default Kernel update broke Nvidia

On Thursday, January 27, 2011 12:12:02 pm Homer wrote:
> I find a lot of hits with google, but I'm not seeing a solution yet
> that I think is right for my situation. I just ran an update and the
> kernel updated from 2.6.32-27 to 2.6.32-28. On reboot I was dumped to
> a command prompt. Rebooting to the older kernel still works. Some
> pertinent messages in Xorg.0.log are:
>
> (II) LoadModule: "nvidia"
> (II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/extra-modules/nvidia_drv.so
> (II) Module nvidia: vendor="NVIDIA Corporation"
> compiled for 4.0.2, module version = 1.0.0
> Module class: X.Org Video Driver
> (EE) NVIDIA: Failed to load the NVIDIA kernel module. Please check your
> (EE) NVIDIA: system's kernel log for additional error messages.
> (II) UnloadModule: "nvidia"
> (II) Unloading /usr/lib/xorg/extra-modules/nvidia_drv.so
> (EE) Failed to load module "nvidia" (module-specific error, 0)
> (EE) No drivers available.
>
> What is the most straightforward way to deal with the nvidia
> module/drivers after kernel updates?

What probably happened is there is no nvidai driver for the new kernel.

Did you install the nvidia-current package or did you install it manually? If you installed it manually, you have to manually update it to the new kernel, the exact command escapes me at the moment but it's not hard to find (?? nvida-xconfig ??).

If you installed the ubuntu package then make sure that dkms is also installed, that will compile all nessesary apps for new kernels such as VirtualBox, Nvidia drivers, etc. I believe that it will run automagically on installation.

Alan

Old 01-27-2011, 06:15 PM
Homer

On Thu, Jan 27, 2011 at 10:51 AM, Alan Dacey Sr.
<grokit@ajinfosearch.com> wrote:
> On Thursday, January 27, 2011 12:12:02 pm Homer wrote:
>> I find a lot of hits with google, but I'm not seeing a solution yet
>> that I think is right for my situation. *I just ran an update and the
>> kernel updated from 2.6.32-27 to 2.6.32-28. *On reboot I was dumped to
>> a command prompt. *Rebooting to the older kernel still works. *Some
>> pertinent messages in Xorg.0.log are:
>>
>> (II) LoadModule: "nvidia"
>> (II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/extra-modules/nvidia_drv.so
>> (II) Module nvidia: vendor="NVIDIA Corporation"
>> * * * * compiled for 4.0.2, module version = 1.0.0
>> * * * * Module class: X.Org Video Driver
>> (EE) NVIDIA: Failed to load the NVIDIA kernel module. Please check your
>> (EE) NVIDIA: * * system's kernel log for additional error messages.
>> (II) UnloadModule: "nvidia"
>> (II) Unloading /usr/lib/xorg/extra-modules/nvidia_drv.so
>> (EE) Failed to load module "nvidia" (module-specific error, 0)
>> (EE) No drivers available.
>>
>> What is the most straightforward way to deal with the nvidia
>> module/drivers after kernel updates?
>>

> What probably happened is there is no nvidai driver for the new kernel.
>
> Did you install the nvidia-current package or did you install it manually? *If you installed it manually, you have to manually update it to the new kernel, *the exact command escapes me at the moment but it's not hard to find (?? nvida-xconfig ??).
>
> If you installed the ubuntu package then make sure that dkms is also installed, that will compile all nessesary apps for new kernels such as VirtualBox, Nvidia drivers, etc. *I believe that it will run automagically on installation.
>
> Alan

Thanks again for your input on my posts. The nvidia-current package
was already installed. Was it installed manually? I'm not sure. I
had some issues with X working soon after a fresh install (10.04), so
I may have installed it with aptitude. I have also verified that dkms
is installed. I also ran the nvidia-xconfig command while booted into
the new kernel, and that didn't work.

Now, your comments got me considering something. I renamed xorg.conf
to xorg.conf_ and tried booting with the new kernel. That worked. I
recalled reading something several weeks ago that indicated it is
best to not have a xorg.conf file and just let the system figure
things out. That has worked in my case. Until the next update
anyway...

Old 01-27-2011, 06:23 PM
"Alan Dacey Sr."

On Thursday, January 27, 2011 02:15:34 pm Homer wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 27, 2011 at 10:51 AM, Alan Dacey Sr.
> <grokit@ajinfosearch.com> wrote:
> > On Thursday, January 27, 2011 12:12:02 pm Homer wrote:
> >> I find a lot of hits with google, but I'm not seeing a solution yet
> >> that I think is right for my situation. I just ran an update and the
> >> kernel updated from 2.6.32-27 to 2.6.32-28. On reboot I was dumped to
> >> a command prompt. Rebooting to the older kernel still works. Some
> >> pertinent messages in Xorg.0.log are:
> >>
> >> (II) LoadModule: "nvidia"
> >> (II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/extra-modules/nvidia_drv.so
> >> (II) Module nvidia: vendor="NVIDIA Corporation"
> >> compiled for 4.0.2, module version = 1.0.0
> >> Module class: X.Org Video Driver
> >> (EE) NVIDIA: Failed to load the NVIDIA kernel module. Please check your
> >> (EE) NVIDIA: system's kernel log for additional error messages.
> >> (II) UnloadModule: "nvidia"
> >> (II) Unloading /usr/lib/xorg/extra-modules/nvidia_drv.so
> >> (EE) Failed to load module "nvidia" (module-specific error, 0)
> >> (EE) No drivers available.
> >>
> >> What is the most straightforward way to deal with the nvidia
> >> module/drivers after kernel updates?
> >>

> > What probably happened is there is no nvidai driver for the new kernel.
> >
> > Did you install the nvidia-current package or did you install it manually? If you installed it manually, you have to manually update it to the new kernel, the exact command escapes me at the moment but it's not hard to find (?? nvida-xconfig ??).
> >
> > If you installed the ubuntu package then make sure that dkms is also installed, that will compile all nessesary apps for new kernels such as VirtualBox, Nvidia drivers, etc. I believe that it will run automagically on installation.
> >
> > Alan
>
> Thanks again for your input on my posts. The nvidia-current package
> was already installed. Was it installed manually? I'm not sure. I
> had some issues with X working soon after a fresh install (10.04), so
> I may have installed it with aptitude. I have also verified that dkms
> is installed. I also ran the nvidia-xconfig command while booted into
> the new kernel, and that didn't work.
>
> Now, your comments got me considering something. I renamed xorg.conf
> to xorg.conf_ and tried booting with the new kernel. That worked. I
> recalled reading something several weeks ago that indicated it is
> best to not have a xorg.conf file and just let the system figure
> things out. That has worked in my case. Until the next update
> anyway...

I did not know about the xorg.conf thing. That's my new thing I learned today.

Alan

Old 01-27-2011, 07:48 PM
Homer

On Thu, Jan 27, 2011 at 12:23 PM, Alan Dacey Sr.
<grokit@ajinfosearch.com> wrote:
> On Thursday, January 27, 2011 02:15:34 pm Homer wrote:
>> On Thu, Jan 27, 2011 at 10:51 AM, Alan Dacey Sr.
>> <grokit@ajinfosearch.com> wrote:

>> > What probably happened is there is no nvidai driver for the new kernel.
>> >
>> > Did you install the nvidia-current package or did you install it manually? *If you installed it manually, you have to manually update it to the new kernel, *the exact command escapes me at the moment but it's not hard to find (?? nvida-xconfig ??).
>> >
>> > If you installed the ubuntu package then make sure that dkms is also installed, that will compile all nessesary apps for new kernels such as VirtualBox, Nvidia drivers, etc. *I believe that it will run automagically on installation.
>> >
>> > Alan
>>
>> Thanks again for your input on my posts. *The nvidia-current package
>> was already installed. *Was it installed manually? *I'm not sure. *I
>> had some issues with X working soon after a fresh install (10.04), so
>> I may have installed it with aptitude. *I have also verified that dkms
>> is installed. *I also ran the nvidia-xconfig command while booted into
>> the new kernel, and that didn't work.
>>
>> Now, your comments got me considering something. *I renamed xorg.conf
>> to xorg.conf_ and tried booting with the new kernel. *That worked. *I
>> recalled reading something several weeks ago that indicated *it is
>> best to not have a xorg.conf file and just let the system figure
>> things out. *That has worked in my case. *Until the next update
>> anyway...
>>

> I did not know about the xorg.conf thing. *That's my new thing I learned today.

Well, it seems that wasn't the perfect "fix." I've just noticed I'm
getting strange artifacts. For example, on the on the top left of
each window the small icon and push pin are severely scrambled. Some
icons on the panel are also scrambled beyond recognition. Those
issues wouldn't be too bad, but I'm also getting random "blocks"
showing up when a new window/application is opened. I can get rid of
those by opening and closing a window over them, but that isn't a good
solution. I tried running nvidia-xconfig again just to see, and I get
dumped to a login prompt with the xorg.conf file in place. I ran the
hardware drivers app and it claims I'm running the correct Nvidia
driver.

I'm certainly no expert at this stuff, but I'm wondering if I'm really
running the nvidia drive with the most current kernel.

Old 01-28-2011, 01:59 AM
"Goh Lip"

Well, it seems that wasn't the perfect "fix." I've just noticed I'm
getting strange artifacts. For example, on the on the top left of
each window the small icon and push pin are severely scrambled. Some
icons on the panel are also scrambled beyond recognition. Those
issues wouldn't be too bad, but I'm also getting random "blocks"
showing up when a new window/application is opened. I can get rid of
those by opening and closing a window over them, but that isn't a good
solution. I tried running nvidia-xconfig again just to see, and I get
dumped to a login prompt with the xorg.conf file in place. I ran the
hardware drivers app and it claims I'm running the correct Nvidia
driver.
I'm certainly no expert at this stuff, but I'm wondering if I'm really
running the nvidia drive with the most current kernel.

Alan made a suggestion about dkms in some earlier thread. It may be good
to check if the nvidia module is also set up in your new kernel by "dkms
status". For example in my system, this appears..

pop@timon:~$ dkms status
nvidia-current, 260.19.06, 2.6.35-22-generic, x86_64: installed
nvidia-current, 260.19.06, 2.6.35-23-generic, x86_64: installed
pop@timon:~$

If the module does not appear in your new kernel, set it up then. But
sorry, since I do not have any problem and hence not done this, I am
unable to help further, but "man dkms" may help. Of course, please let us
know how you do it so we can learn from you.

If it is not any problem with dkms, it may help to "sudo update-initramfs"
and see if this helps.

Finally, if nothing works, remove the new kernel "sudo apt-get remove
--purge 2.6.32-28-* when you boot up to the old kernel 2.6.32-27 and then
update to new kernel one more time.

Regards - Goh Lip
--
I used to have an open mind,
but my brains kept falling out.

Old 01-28-2011, 01:08 PM
Homer

On Thu, Jan 27, 2011 at 7:59 PM, Goh Lip <g.lip@gmx.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 28 Jan 2011 04:48:56 +0800, Homer <fsunoles@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Well, it seems that wasn't the perfect "fix." *I've just noticed I'm
>> getting strange artifacts. *For example, on the on the top left of
>> each window the small icon and push pin are severely scrambled. *Some
>> icons on the panel are also scrambled beyond recognition. *Those
>> issues wouldn't be too bad, but I'm also getting random "blocks"
>> showing up when a new window/application is opened. *I can get rid of
>> those by opening and closing a window over them, but that isn't a good
>> solution. *I tried running nvidia-xconfig again just to see, and I get
>> dumped to a login prompt with the xorg.conf file in place. *I ran the
>> hardware drivers app and it claims I'm running the correct Nvidia
>> driver.
>> I'm certainly no expert at this stuff, but I'm wondering if I'm really
>> running the nvidia drive with the most current kernel.
>

> Alan made a suggestion about dkms in some earlier thread. It may be good to
> check if the nvidia module is also set up in your new kernel by "dkms
> status". For example in my system, this appears..
>

> pop@timon:~$ dkms status
> nvidia-current, 260.19.06, 2.6.35-22-generic, x86_64: installed
> nvidia-current, 260.19.06, 2.6.35-23-generic, x86_64: installed
> pop@timon:~$
>
> If the module does not appear in your new kernel, set it up then. But sorry,
> since I do not have any problem and hence not done this, I am unable to help
> further, but "man dkms" may help. Of course, please let us know how you do
> it so we can learn from you. *
>

> If it is not any problem with dkms, it may help to "sudo update-initramfs"
> and see if this helps.
>

> Finally, if nothing works, remove the new kernel "sudo apt-get remove
> --purge 2.6.32-28-* when you boot up to the old kernel 2.6.32-27 and then
> update to new kernel one more time.
>
> Regards - Goh Lip

name@computer:~$ dkms status
nvidia-current, 270.18, 2.6.32-28-generic, i686: installed

I ended up following suggestions here:
http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/index.php?topic=3107406.0

I first tried option #3, the Nvidia proprietary way. The description
claims it is a bit complicated, but works every time. I followed all
the steps, but it didn't work for me. I'm sure with effort I could
get it to work, but I moved directly to option #2 instead. I have the
Nvidia driver working, and the random blocks don't appear. There is
one scrambled part of the panel though, but I can live with it. The
button that maximizes the system tray looks like random pixel blocks.
When expanded, the minimize button looks fine. So at this point I'm
just moving on.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Old 01-28-2011, 01:20 PM
"Alan Dacey Sr."

On Thursday, January 27, 2011 09:59:22 pm Goh Lip wrote:
> On Fri, 28 Jan 2011 04:48:56 +0800, Homer <fsunoles@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Well, it seems that wasn't the perfect "fix." I've just noticed I'm
> > getting strange artifacts. For example, on the on the top left of
> > each window the small icon and push pin are severely scrambled. Some
> > icons on the panel are also scrambled beyond recognition. Those
> > issues wouldn't be too bad, but I'm also getting random "blocks"
> > showing up when a new window/application is opened. I can get rid of
> > those by opening and closing a window over them, but that isn't a good
> > solution. I tried running nvidia-xconfig again just to see, and I get
> > dumped to a login prompt with the xorg.conf file in place. I ran the
> > hardware drivers app and it claims I'm running the correct Nvidia
> > driver.
> > I'm certainly no expert at this stuff, but I'm wondering if I'm really
> > running the nvidia drive with the most current kernel.
>

> Alan made a suggestion about dkms in some earlier thread. It may be good
> to check if the nvidia module is also set up in your new kernel by "dkms
> status". For example in my system, this appears..
>

> pop@timon:~$ dkms status
> nvidia-current, 260.19.06, 2.6.35-22-generic, x86_64: installed
> nvidia-current, 260.19.06, 2.6.35-23-generic, x86_64: installed
> pop@timon:~$
>
> If the module does not appear in your new kernel, set it up then. But
> sorry, since I do not have any problem and hence not done this, I am
> unable to help further, but "man dkms" may help. Of course, please let us
> know how you do it so we can learn from you.
>

> If it is not any problem with dkms, it may help to "sudo update-initramfs"
> and see if this helps.
>

> Finally, if nothing works, remove the new kernel "sudo apt-get remove
> --purge 2.6.32-28-* when you boot up to the old kernel 2.6.32-27 and then
> update to new kernel one more time.
>
> Regards - Goh Lip

Before removing a kernel, I'd purge the nvidia driver , reboot into a command line,
install nvida-current, then reboot into the usual graphical interface and see if
that fixes it. I've never had much luck messing with the kernel but then I haven't
had to do that in quite a while.

Glad you got it working good enough for you, Homer

Alan

Old 01-30-2011, 04:10 PM
"R. John Savage Jr."

Hi AllI am running Kubuntu 10.04 and after the last*kernel*update I am also having video issues. I have an HP notebook and it has an all Intel MOBO. I have started to boot off of the previous*kernel*and this has solved all issues. I may*want*to*remove*the new*kernel*per you instructions. Is it safe to do so?
ThanksJohn S.

Old 01-31-2011, 12:36 AM
"Goh Lip"

On Mon, 31 Jan 2011 01:10:29 +0800, R. John Savage Jr.
Hi AllI am running Kubuntu 10.04 and after the last kernel update I am
also having video issues. I have an HP notebook and it has an all Intel
MOBO. I have started to boot off of the previous kernel and this has
solved all issues. I may want to remove the new kernel per you
instructions. Is it safe to do so?

ThanksJohn S.

Yes.

Regards - Goh Lip

Old 01-31-2011, 02:06 AM
"R. John Savage Jr."

Is this the exact command*"sudo apt-get remove*--purge 2.6.32-28-*" *and is it correct ?