Old 01-27-2011, 04:12 PM
Homer

Default Kernel update broke Nvidia

I find a lot of hits with google, but I'm not seeing a solution yet
that I think is right for my situation. I just ran an update and the
kernel updated from 2.6.32-27 to 2.6.32-28. On reboot I was dumped to
a command prompt. Rebooting to the older kernel still works. Some
pertinent messages in Xorg.0.log are:

(II) LoadModule: "nvidia"
(II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/extra-modules/nvidia_drv.so
(II) Module nvidia: vendor="NVIDIA Corporation"
Module class: X.Org Video Driver
(EE) NVIDIA: Failed to load the NVIDIA kernel module. Please check your
(EE) NVIDIA: system's kernel log for additional error messages.
(II) UnloadModule: "nvidia"
(II) Unloading /usr/lib/xorg/extra-modules/nvidia_drv.so
(EE) Failed to load module "nvidia" (module-specific error, 0)
(EE) No drivers available.

What is the most straightforward way to deal with the nvidia
module/drivers after kernel updates?