Old 01-27-2011, 06:41 AM
Aylin Kantarci

Default Kubuntu & multicore processor

Hello,
┬*
I have a multicore i7 950 processor. Do you recommend kubuntu for it? If so, on the download page, it is written that the recommended version is 32 bit version. However, i7 950 is an 64 bit processor. Which version of Kubuntu do you recomend?

32 bit or 64 bit?
┬*
Regards
--
Do├ž. Dr./Assoc. Prof. Dr.┬* Aylin KANTARCI
Bilgisayar Muhendisli─či B├Âl├╝m├╝/Computer Engineering Department

http: efe.ege.edu.tr/~kantarci

Old 01-27-2011, 01:11 PM
"Alan Dacey Sr."

On Thursday, January 27, 2011 02:41:01 am Aylin Kantarci wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have a multicore i7 950 processor. Do you recommend kubuntu for it? If so,
> on the download page, it is written that the recommended version is 32 bit
> version. However, i7 950 is an 64 bit processor. Which version of Kubuntu do
> you recomend?
> 32 bit or 64 bit?
>
> Regards

You should have no problem running Kubuntu on that. Intel does contribute to the kernel and I have never had a problem with any cpu running any distro.

As for the 64 bit question: That should depend on how much memory you have. A 32 bit system can only address about 3.[something] gigs of memory. The usable memory is less subtract your graphics card memory and various other things. If you're running an i7 950 I really hope you have more than 4 gigs. If you have 8 gigs then you want the 64 bit version. There used to be a lot of problems with a 64 bit architecture but that is in the past. The flash problem is fixed when you install the package from the repositories.

Alan