Old 01-26-2011, 04:47 AM
Waleed Hamra

Default OT: html anchors (was Grub screen when booting)

On 01/26/2011 07:07 AM, Basil Chupin wrote:
> On 25/01/2011 17:51, Nils Kassube wrote:
>> Basil Chupin wrote:
>>> Now, this is a most interesting thing which I don't believe that I
>>> have noticed before (I often check my own posts and have never
>>> noticed this behaviour, or, at the least, paid attention to).
>>>
>>> Clicking on the URL you provided above doesn't take *me* to the
>>> BEGINNING of that Ubuntu doco. entry but to the point/spot at which
>>> it appears that you *copied*/saved the URL and which is some screen
>>> pages down from the beginning of the article you quote above in your
>>> post.
>>>
>>> I wonder why this is so?
>> There is no magic involved - have a closer look at the URL. Everything
>> before the "#" character is the URL for the page and the part after the
>> "#" is the pointer within that page. At the beginning of the page there
>> are some links to individual paragraphs and I used one of those links. I
>> simply copied the link from the address bar to the mail.
>>
>>> I can see that you are using Kmail for your mail but don't know what
>>> you are using as a browser. Is this where the answer lies :-) ? (I
>>> use FF as the browser.)
>> Usually I use konqueror sometimes rekonq and seldom FF - but it has
>> nothing to do with the browser.
>
> Most interesting..... Something to do with UFOs perhaps (Unidentified
> Firefox Operations)? :-)
>
> I have now done at least 10 tests taking a copy of the URL showing on
> various pages of various articles on various online news sources, sent
> the URLs to myself in e-mail(s), shutdown Firefox for each test
> (shutting FF clears its cache on my set-up), clicked on the URL using
> Thunderbird I just sent myself - and in each and every case what
> appeared in FF was the beginning of the article and not the page where I
> copied the URL.
>
> BC

i dont think you understood anchors. it's not about where *you* were
browsing when you copied the URL. it's about what you copied. go to some
ubuntu tutorial, anyone, like the grub one above, or some other similar
page. and copy the link from the INDEX. there's an index in every ubuntu
page, somewhere in the upper part of the page. copy the URL to one of
the sections, or click it, to see its effect immediately.
another example is wikipedia, all wikipedia pages have such index with
links to the various sections of the page.
for a better understanding, visit this link
http://www.w3.org/TR/html401/struct/links.html

--
Waleed K. Hamra
Manager of Hamra Information Systems

Old 01-26-2011, 06:23 AM
Basil Chupin

[...]

Obviously not....

it's not about where *you* were
browsing when you copied the URL. it's about what you copied.

Oh, it's not *where* I was but what I copied, eh?

go to some
ubuntu tutorial, anyone, like the grub one above, or some other similar
page. and copy the link from the INDEX. there's an index in every ubuntu
page, somewhere in the upper part of the page. copy the URL to one of
the sections, or click it, to see its effect immediately.
another example is wikipedia, all wikipedia pages have such index with
links to the various sections of the page.

Well let me tell you something...

I went to the Wikipedia and 'asked' for the details of the American
Constitution (I've been there before when arguing with red-necks), went
to the very last page at which point I took a copy of the URL and then
sent it to myself to see what I would see when I clicked on the URL in
Thunderbird. This is the URL I copied at the end of the Wikipedia entry
and sent myself:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Constitution_of_the_United_States_of_America

Guess what I saw, and what you will see, when you click on this URL?

The claim was made that it has nothing to do with the browser.

If it is not the browser, then what is it which is causing the results I
am getting?

And I do not keep arguing a point without doing some testing to prove
the results I get.

for a better understanding, visit this link
http://www.w3.org/TR/html401/struct/links.html

"...a better understanding" or not, I get the results which I keep
detailing here.

BC

--

Left to themselves, things tend to go from bad to worse.

Old 01-26-2011, 06:34 AM
Nils Kassube

Basil Chupin wrote:
> Well let me tell you something...
>
> I went to the Wikipedia and 'asked' for the details of the American
> Constitution (I've been there before when arguing with red-necks),
> went to the very last page at which point I took a copy of the URL
> and then sent it to myself to see what I would see when I clicked on
> the URL in Thunderbird. This is the URL I copied at the end of the
> Wikipedia entry and sent myself:

You probably did it wrong.

On that Wikipedia page about the American Constitution scroll to the
Contents section and click on one of those links, e.g. "13 External
links". Then the URL in your address bar should have changed including
the pointer within the page. Use this URL and it should work.

Nils

Old 01-26-2011, 11:23 AM
Nils Kassube

Basil Chupin wrote:
> On 26/01/2011 16:51, Nils Kassube wrote:
> > Basil Chupin wrote:
> >> I have now done at least 10 tests taking a copy of the URL showing
> >> on various pages of various articles on various online news
> >> sources, sent the URLs to myself in e-mail(s), shutdown Firefox
> >> for each test (shutting FF clears its cache on my set-up),
> >> clicked on the URL using Thunderbird I just sent myself - and in
> >> each and every case what appeared in FF was the beginning of the
> >> article and not the page where I copied the URL.
> >
> > Even Firefox can do it - it's not _that_ shoddy. I just tried it
> > with the URL I sent in the previous mail. Firefox shows the URL
> > with spaces instead of the "%20"s in the URL bar. If I highlight
> > the URL with the mouse I can then paste it in Kmail. But maybe
> > your Thunderbird is broken and shortens the URL to the top of the
> > page when you paste it?
>
> Sorry Nils. Your response is a collection of mix-and-match. And then
> you introduce the slur on Thunderbird :-) .

Hmm, and you don't mind the slur on Firefox?

> OK, you mention above that in your case your Firefox shows "the URL
> with spaces instead of the "%20"s in the URL bar."

Granted, that wasn't important - the important part is that there is the
"#" and the pointer within the page displayed in the address bar.

> Why is this so when mine does no such thing?
>
> I note that this discussion is occurring here in kubuntu, which is
> the KDE orientated list. Is it the case, then, that KDE produces
> different results to what occurs in the gnome environment (which is
> what I use)?

No, it works the same with Ubuntu. And yes, I even fired up Ubuntu to
test it, i.e. the LiveCD of Ubuntu 10.04.1. Could it be some Firefox
addon on your machine that causes that unusual behaviour?

Nils

Old 01-26-2011, 01:26 PM
Waleed Hamra

On 01/26/2011 09:23 AM, Basil Chupin wrote:
> On 26/01/2011 16:47, Waleed Hamra wrote:

<snip>

> Well let me tell you something...
>
> I went to the Wikipedia and 'asked' for the details of the American
> Constitution (I've been there before when arguing with red-necks), went
> to the very last page at which point I took a copy of the URL and then
> sent it to myself to see what I would see when I clicked on the URL in
> Thunderbird. This is the URL I copied at the end of the Wikipedia entry
> and sent myself:
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Constitution_of_the_United_States_of_America
>

> Guess what I saw, and what you will see, when you click on this URL?
>
> The claim was made that it has nothing to do with the browser.
>
> If it is not the browser, then what is it which is causing the results I
> am getting?

well, take a look at this link:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Constitution_of_the_United_States_of_America#C riticism_of_the_Constitution

notice any difference between this link and the one above? yes, the last
part of it, after the hash character.

i did NOT copy the address bar while looking at that section.
i looked the table of contents in the upper part of the page. i
right-clicked on the phrase "5 Criticism of the Constitution", and
clicked "copy link location", and i pasted it here.
another method. go to table of contents. left-click on one of the
sections mentioned in the table, and notice the URL in the address bar
changing. copy the new/changed URL, which should include the hash "#"
character followed by the name of the section.

hope this explains.