Old 01-25-2011, 06:07 PM
Bas Roufs

Default Looking for a "smartphone" that can cooperate with Kubuntu 10.10.

Hello everybody

At present, I am looking for a new "smartphone" up to max. €200. The
device must be able to:
* at least easily exchange data with Kubuntu 10.
* if possible, "synchronise" with the calandar/ agenda and contacts of Kontact;
* share an internet connection (like a modem) with my laptop via
"thethering" - via USB, Bluetooth or Wifi;
* easily import and export contacts: in vCard and/or via Google/GMAIL.
Does anybody have experience with a smart phone that meets these demands?

One of the phones I am considering, is a "HTC Wildfire A3333", with an
Android OS. Specifications:
http://www.mobiles-world.com/mobile-phone/htc/htc-wildfire-a3333-2gb-unlocked-mobile-phone-black-brown
Does anybody have experience with this specific phone together with
Kubuntu and Kontact?

Respectfully yours,

Bas.

Old 01-25-2011, 08:17 PM
Paul Lemmons

At present, I am looking for a new "smartphone" up to max. €200. The
device must be able to:
* at least easily exchange data with Kubuntu 10.
* if possible, "synchronise" with the calandar/ agenda and contacts of Kontact;
* share an internet connection (like a modem) with my laptop via
"thethering" - via USB, Bluetooth or Wifi;
* easily import and export contacts: in vCard and/or via Google/GMAIL.
Does anybody have experience with a smart phone that meets these demands?

One of the phones I am considering, is a "HTC Wildfire A3333", with an
Android OS. Specifications:
http://www.mobiles-world.com/mobile-phone/htc/htc-wildfire-a3333-2gb-unlocked-mobile-phone-black-brown
Does anybody have experience with this specific phone together with
Kubuntu and Kontact?

Respectfully yours,

Bas.

I use an Android phone (DROID) that does all of the above with a little
setup.

* at least easily exchange data with Kubuntu 10.

It mounts as a USB drive. You can easily move files to and from it using
normal file management programs. You can also set it up to work with Amarok.

* if possible, "synchronise" with the calandar/ agenda

It automatically syncs with Google Calendar. You can setup kontact to
sync your calendar with google calendar.

* and contacts of Kontact;

It automatically syncs with google contacts. I *think* you can sync
kontact contacts with google contacts but am not sure.

* share an internet connection (like a modem) with my laptop via
"thethering" - via USB, Bluetooth or Wifi;

In the states the option is made available but costs extra every month.
If you root the phone you can download an APP that does this for free.

* easily import and export contacts: in vCard and/or via Google/GMAIL.

Already built in. It syncs updates to your contacts on your phone to the
contacts in gmail.

I don't think any of these things are phone specific, as they are
Android features. I will tell you, though, as you look for a phone pay
attention to a number of things:

1) Battery life. See if anybody has anything good to say about the
battery. This is the number one complaint of smart phone owners.

2) Processor speed. Don't get anything running slower than 800mhz

3) Internal memory. At least 256mb

4) How large of an SD card is supported and if you have a choice, at
least 8G if you don't want to use it as an MP3 player and 16-32GB if you do.

Old 01-26-2011, 11:06 PM
Bas Roufs

Thanks for all the useful replies so far!

It automatically syncs with Google Calendar. You can setup kontact to sync your calendar with google calendar.

Do you, Paul, or anybody else, have practical experience with synching Google Calendar with the one of Kontact?

*

* and contacts of Kontact;

It automatically syncs with google contacts. I *think* you can sync kontact contacts with google contacts but am not sure.
Can anybody confirm this via his or her practical experience with synching Kontact address book with the one at GMAIL of Google Mail?

Thanks, respectfully yours,

Bas.

Old 01-27-2011, 06:52 AM
Alvin

On Tuesday 25 January 2011 20:07:47 Bas Roufs wrote:
> Hello everybody
>
> At present, I am looking for a new "smartphone" up to max. €200. The
> device must be able to:
> * at least easily exchange data with Kubuntu 10.
> * if possible, "synchronise" with the calandar/ agenda and contacts of
> Kontact; * share an internet connection (like a modem) with my laptop via
> "thethering" - via USB, Bluetooth or Wifi;
> * easily import and export contacts: in vCard and/or via Google/GMAIL.
> Does anybody have experience with a smart phone that meets these demands?

The N900 can run kontact. (I haven't tried to install it yet.) The price might
be too high, but should be dropped by now. I don't know if you can get it for
€ 200 yet.