Old 01-25-2011, 04:29 AM
Nils Kassube

Default Grub screen when booting

Basil Chupin wrote:
> On 25/01/2011 11:04, ray burke wrote:
> > I have just installed U 10.04 on a spare 20gb ide drive to test if
> > I like, and when I boot it boots
> > diredtly to U 10.04, and I want to boot dirct into the grub screen
> > to select either 10.04 or recovery,
> > can anyone help with the right procedure as hiting the escape key
> > when booting does nothing?
>
> Hit the SHIFT key at boot.

And if that's not what you were looking for, have a look at
<https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Grub2#Configuring%20GRUB%202>.

Nils

Old 01-25-2011, 05:11 AM
Basil Chupin

On 25/01/2011 16:29, Nils Kassube wrote:

Basil Chupin wrote:

On 25/01/2011 11:04, ray burke wrote:

I have just installed U 10.04 on a spare 20gb ide drive to test if
I like, and when I boot it boots
diredtly to U 10.04, and I want to boot dirct into the grub screen
to select either 10.04 or recovery,
can anyone help with the right procedure as hiting the escape key
when booting does nothing?

Hit the SHIFT key at boot.

And if that's not what you were looking for, have a look at
<https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Grub2#Configuring%20GRUB%202>.

Nils

Now, this is a most interesting thing which I don't believe that I have
noticed before (I often check my own posts and have never noticed this
behaviour, or, at the least, paid attention to).

Clicking on the URL you provided above doesn't take *me* to the
BEGINNING of that Ubuntu doco. entry but to the point/spot at which it
appears that you *copied*/saved the URL and which is some screen pages
down from the beginning of the article you quote above in your post.

I wonder why this is so?

I can see that you are using Kmail for your mail but don't know what you
are using as a browser. Is this where the answer lies :-) ? (I use FF as
the browser.)

BC

--
Left to themselves, things tend to go from bad to worse.

Old 01-25-2011, 05:49 AM
Reinhold Rumberger

Am Dienstag 25 Januar 2011, um 07:11:14 schrieb Basil Chupin:
> On 25/01/2011 16:29, Nils Kassube wrote:
> > And if that's not what you were looking for, have a look at
> > <https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Grub2#Configuring%20GRUB%202>.
> >

> > Nils
>
> Now, this is a most interesting thing which I don't believe that I have
> noticed before (I often check my own posts and have never noticed this
> behaviour, or, at the least, paid attention to).
>
> Clicking on the URL you provided above doesn't take *me* to the
> BEGINNING of that Ubuntu doco. entry but to the point/spot at which it
> appears that you *copied*/saved the URL and which is some screen pages
> down from the beginning of the article you quote above in your post.
>
> I wonder why this is so?

That's basic HTML. It's the link from the table of contents and uses a feature
of HTML which allows linking to a certain point in a page denoted in the HTML
source by the id attribute (in this case) or a named a-tag.
The URL "https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Grub2#Configuring%20GRUB%202" tells
the browser to go to the page https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Grub2 and
scroll to whichever portion is named "Configuring GRUB 2".

--Reinhold

Old 01-25-2011, 05:51 AM
Nils Kassube

Basil Chupin wrote:
> On 25/01/2011 16:29, Nils Kassube wrote:
> > <https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Grub2#Configuring%20GRUB%202>.
>
> Now, this is a most interesting thing which I don't believe that I
> have noticed before (I often check my own posts and have never
> noticed this behaviour, or, at the least, paid attention to).
>
> Clicking on the URL you provided above doesn't take *me* to the
> BEGINNING of that Ubuntu doco. entry but to the point/spot at which
> it appears that you *copied*/saved the URL and which is some screen
> pages down from the beginning of the article you quote above in your
> post.
>
> I wonder why this is so?

There is no magic involved - have a closer look at the URL. Everything
before the "#" character is the URL for the page and the part after the
"#" is the pointer within that page. At the beginning of the page there
are some links to individual paragraphs and I used one of those links. I
simply copied the link from the address bar to the mail.

> I can see that you are using Kmail for your mail but don't know what
> you are using as a browser. Is this where the answer lies :-) ? (I
> use FF as the browser.)

Usually I use konqueror sometimes rekonq and seldom FF - but it has
nothing to do with the browser.

Nils

Old 01-26-2011, 04:07 AM
Basil Chupin

[...]

Most interesting..... Something to do with UFOs perhaps (Unidentified
Firefox Operations)? :-)

I have now done at least 10 tests taking a copy of the URL showing on
various pages of various articles on various online news sources, sent
the URLs to myself in e-mail(s), shutdown Firefox for each test
(shutting FF clears its cache on my set-up), clicked on the URL using
Thunderbird I just sent myself - and in each and every case what
appeared in FF was the beginning of the article and not the page where I
copied the URL.

BC

--
Left to themselves, things tend to go from bad to worse.

Old 01-26-2011, 04:51 AM
Nils Kassube

Basil Chupin wrote:
> I have now done at least 10 tests taking a copy of the URL showing on
> various pages of various articles on various online news sources,
> sent the URLs to myself in e-mail(s), shutdown Firefox for each test
> (shutting FF clears its cache on my set-up), clicked on the URL
> using Thunderbird I just sent myself - and in each and every case
> what appeared in FF was the beginning of the article and not the
> page where I copied the URL.

Even Firefox can do it - it's not _that_ shoddy. I just tried it with
the URL I sent in the previous mail. Firefox shows the URL with spaces
instead of the "%20"s in the URL bar. If I highlight the URL with the
mouse I can then paste it in Kmail. But maybe your Thunderbird is broken
and shortens the URL to the top of the page when you paste it?

Nils

Old 01-26-2011, 06:45 AM
Basil Chupin

I have now done at least 10 tests taking a copy of the URL showing on
various pages of various articles on various online news sources,
sent the URLs to myself in e-mail(s), shutdown Firefox for each test
(shutting FF clears its cache on my set-up), clicked on the URL
using Thunderbird I just sent myself - and in each and every case
what appeared in FF was the beginning of the article and not the
page where I copied the URL.

Even Firefox can do it - it's not _that_ shoddy. I just tried it with
the URL I sent in the previous mail. Firefox shows the URL with spaces
instead of the "%20"s in the URL bar. If I highlight the URL with the
mouse I can then paste it in Kmail. But maybe your Thunderbird is broken
and shortens the URL to the top of the page when you paste it?

Sorry Nils. Your response is a collection of mix-and-match. And then you
introduce the slur on Thunderbird :-) .

OK, you mention above that in your case your Firefox shows "the URL with
spaces instead of the "%20"s in the URL bar."

Why is this so when mine does no such thing?

I note that this discussion is occurring here in kubuntu, which is the
KDE orientated list. Is it the case, then, that KDE produces different
results to what occurs in the gnome environment (which is what I use)?

If so, then why should there be such differences?

BC

--

Left to themselves, things tend to go from bad to worse.

Old 01-27-2011, 02:17 AM
Basil Chupin

I have now done at least 10 tests taking a copy of the URL showing on
various pages of various articles on various online news sources,
sent the URLs to myself in e-mail(s), shutdown Firefox for each test
(shutting FF clears its cache on my set-up), clicked on the URL
using Thunderbird I just sent myself - and in each and every case
what appeared in FF was the beginning of the article and not the
page where I copied the URL.

Even Firefox can do it - it's not _that_ shoddy. I just tried it with
the URL I sent in the previous mail. Firefox shows the URL with spaces
instead of the "%20"s in the URL bar. If I highlight the URL with the
mouse I can then paste it in Kmail. But maybe your Thunderbird is broken
and shortens the URL to the top of the page when you paste it?

Nils

OK, I can now see what you are talking about. It's that I do not recall
ever going to any sites where I copied the URL after selecting a
specific chapter/"index" to read and quote- I have always started from
the beginning and read thru the text before finding what I wanted and
then copying the URL which then, of course, copied the URL as it was at
the beginning of the article.

"Problem" solved, and I learnt something :-) .

BC

--
Left to themselves, things tend to go from bad to worse.