Old 01-21-2011, 01:08 PM
"Helder Terra"

Default Desktop effects disabled

Ever since I installed Kubuntu Mavrick, I noticed
that the desktop effects come disabled by default. If I go to system settings
and click to activate them, I get a message telling me that its being block by
other applications, and that I should press alt+shift+F12 to re-activate the
effects. Also, whenever I chanced the color mode of KDE, the effects turned back
on by automatically (but turned off too once the computer as
restarted).
*
So, by the time it happened, I thought it was
because of my computer configuration somehow, or that maybe it was some program
I've installed.
*
But this week, I've installed it in another
computer (at work instead of my personal at home), one that is far newer than my
home's, and I've got the same message again.
*
Is there a way turn the effects on by default on
startup?
*
Thanks.
*
Helder Terra

Old 01-21-2011, 05:37 PM
Waleed Hamra

On 01/21/2011 04:08 PM, Helder Terra wrote:
> Ever since I installed Kubuntu Mavrick, I noticed that the desktop effects come disabled by default. If I go to system settings and click to activate them, I get a message telling me that its being block by other applications, and that I should press alt+shift+F12 to re-activate the effects. Also, whenever I chanced the color mode of KDE, the effects turned back on by automatically (but turned off too once the computer as restarted).
>
> So, by the time it happened, I thought it was because of my computer configuration somehow, or that maybe it was some program I've installed.
>
> But this week, I've installed it in another computer (at work instead of my personal at home), one that is far newer than my home's, and I've got the same message again.
>
> Is there a way turn the effects on by default on startup?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Helder Terra

if you are absolutely sure your graphic card is recognized and working
properly, and that with your current configuration, desktop effects
should not have any problems loading, you can try this:

systemsettings --> desktop effects --> advanced

in there, place a tick beside "disable functionality checks".
this *could* be your problem, i can't be sure. but sometimes, if the
system checks your system, and thinks your hardware is too weak for
effects, it disables them. this checkbox disables those checks, and
hence, your settings stick.

if this doesnt work for you... tell us, and post some info about your
graphic card, and its installation.

--
Waleed K. Hamra
Manager of Hamra Information Systems