Old 01-19-2011, 07:06 PM
Billie Walsh

Default SOLVED Update Locks Package Handling

On 01/19/2011 01:36 PM, Waleed Hamra wrote:

On 01/19/2011 09:09 PM, Bruce Marshall wrote:

On Wednesday, January 19, 2011, Billie Walsh wrote:

Thank you. I didn't see anything that didn't look like it should be
running. I'm far from any sort of expert but I didn't see anything like
a package handler running. Well, it was an idea.

You might try rebuilding the package database.

A google of "rebuild dpkg database" should give you the commands.

but that's not the problem. her problem is that there's a package,
related to grub, not completely installed. as you can imagine, in such a
case, there were lots of other packages waiting to be processed as well,
but never got installed properly. so dpkg is in lock mode until all
pending packages, that are half-configured, get fully configured and
installed.
the problem is... this grub-related package always hangs while being
configured, preventing the rest of the dpkg process to continue.

I was playing round in Konsole and just typing relevant stuff and
reading help files. Came across "dpkg -r -a" so I tried that and the
lock went away.

_ _... ..._ _
_._ ._ ..... ._.. ... .._

Old 01-19-2011, 08:11 PM
Bruce Marshall

On Wednesday, January 19, 2011, Billie Walsh wrote:
> I was playing round in Konsole and just typing relevant stuff and
> reading help files. Came across "dpkg -r -a" so I tried that and the
> lock went away.

A standard fix for some things is to:

dpkg -a --configure

Might want to write that down.