FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Ubuntu > Kubuntu User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 01-17-2011, 04:41 AM
Jerry Lapham
 
Default Why won't 10.10 connect?

I have a laptop with Kubuntu 10.04 on sda5. I wanted to upgrade to Kubuntu
10.10 so I wouldn't have to configure everything from scratch, but I also
wanted to keep 10.04 intact. So I cloned 10.04 on sda6 and upgraded that. It
had worked fine on my desktop and it mostly works on the laptop except for wifi.

When I attempt to connect to my router from 10.04 on sda5 I get:

2011/01/16 14:16:38 :: wicd initializing...
2011/01/16 14:16:38 :: ---------------------------
2011/01/16 14:16:38 :: wicd is version 1.7.0 552
2011/01/16 14:16:38 :: setting backend to external
2011/01/16 14:16:38 :: trying to load backend external
2011/01/16 14:16:38 :: successfully loaded backend external
2011/01/16 14:16:38 :: trying to load backend external
2011/01/16 14:16:38 :: successfully loaded backend external
2011/01/16 14:16:38 :: Automatically detected wireless interface wlan1
2011/01/16 14:16:38 :: setting wireless interface wlan1
2011/01/16 14:16:38 :: automatically detected wired interface eth0
2011/01/16 14:16:38 :: setting wired interface eth0
2011/01/16 14:16:38 :: setting wpa driver wext
2011/01/16 14:16:38 :: setting use global dns to False
2011/01/16 14:16:38 :: setting global dns
2011/01/16 14:16:38 :: global dns servers are None None None
2011/01/16 14:16:38 :: domain is None
2011/01/16 14:16:38 :: search domain is None
2011/01/16 14:16:38 :: setting automatically reconnect when connection drops
True
2011/01/16 14:16:38 :: Setting dhcp client to 0
2011/01/16 14:16:38 :: Wireless configuration file found...
2011/01/16 14:16:38 :: Wired configuration file found...
2011/01/16 14:16:38 :: chmoding configuration files 0600...
2011/01/16 14:16:38 :: chowning configuration files root:root...
2011/01/16 14:16:38 :: Using wireless interface...wlan1
2011/01/16 14:16:38 :: Using wired interface...eth0
2011/01/16 14:16:44 :: Autoconnecting...
2011/01/16 14:16:46 :: No wired connection present, attempting to autoconnect
to wireless network
2011/01/16 14:16:48 :: trying to automatically connect to...NETGEAR-JL
2011/01/16 14:16:48 :: Connecting to wireless network NETGEAR-JL
2011/01/16 14:16:52 :: Putting interface down
2011/01/16 14:16:52 :: Releasing DHCP leases...
2011/01/16 14:16:52 :: Setting false IP...
2011/01/16 14:16:56 :: Stopping wpa_supplicant
2011/01/16 14:16:56 :: Flushing the routing table...
2011/01/16 14:16:56 :: Putting interface up...
2011/01/16 14:16:58 :: Generating psk...
2011/01/16 14:16:58 :: Attempting to authenticate...
2011/01/16 14:17:02 :: Running DHCP with hostname laptop2
2011/01/16 14:17:03 :: dhcpcd.sh: interface wlan1 has been configured with new
IP=10.1.1.6
2011/01/16 14:17:03 ::
2011/01/16 14:17:03 ::
2011/01/16 14:17:03 :: DHCP connection successful
2011/01/16 14:17:03 :: not verifying
2011/01/16 14:17:03 :: Connecting thread exiting.
2011/01/16 14:17:07 :: Sending connection attempt result Success

When I attempt to connect to my router from 10.10 on sda6 I get:

2011/01/16 15:15:32 :: wicd initializing...
2011/01/16 15:15:32 :: ---------------------------
2011/01/16 15:15:32 :: wicd is version 1.7.0 552
2011/01/16 15:15:32 :: setting backend to external
2011/01/16 15:15:32 :: trying to load backend external
2011/01/16 15:15:32 :: successfully loaded backend external
2011/01/16 15:15:32 :: trying to load backend external
2011/01/16 15:15:32 :: successfully loaded backend external
2011/01/16 15:15:32 :: Automatically detected wireless interface wlan1
2011/01/16 15:15:32 :: setting wireless interface wlan1
2011/01/16 15:15:32 :: automatically detected wired interface eth0
2011/01/16 15:15:32 :: setting wired interface eth0
2011/01/16 15:15:32 :: setting wpa driver wext
2011/01/16 15:15:32 :: setting use global dns to False
2011/01/16 15:15:32 :: setting global dns
2011/01/16 15:15:32 :: global dns servers are None None None
2011/01/16 15:15:32 :: domain is None
2011/01/16 15:15:32 :: search domain is None
2011/01/16 15:15:32 :: setting automatically reconnect when connection drops
True
2011/01/16 15:15:32 :: Setting dhcp client to 0
2011/01/16 15:15:32 :: Wireless configuration file found...
2011/01/16 15:15:32 :: Wired configuration file found...
2011/01/16 15:15:32 :: chmoding configuration files 0600...
2011/01/16 15:15:32 :: chowning configuration files root:root...
2011/01/16 15:15:32 :: Using wireless interface...wlan1
2011/01/16 15:15:32 :: Using wired interface...eth0
2011/01/16 15:15:37 :: Autoconnecting...
2011/01/16 15:15:37 :: No wired connection present, attempting to autoconnect
to wireless network
2011/01/16 15:15:37 :: Unable to autoconnect, you'll have to manually connect
2011/01/16 15:15:42 :: Autoconnecting...
2011/01/16 15:15:42 :: No wired connection present, attempting to autoconnect
to wireless network
2011/01/16 15:15:44 :: trying to automatically connect to...NETGEAR-JL
2011/01/16 15:15:44 :: Connecting to wireless network NETGEAR-JL
2011/01/16 15:15:48 :: Putting interface down
2011/01/16 15:15:48 :: Releasing DHCP leases...
2011/01/16 15:15:48 :: Setting false IP...
2011/01/16 15:15:52 :: Stopping wpa_supplicant
2011/01/16 15:15:52 :: Flushing the routing table...
2011/01/16 15:15:52 :: Putting interface up...
2011/01/16 15:15:54 :: Generating psk...
2011/01/16 15:15:55 :: Attempting to authenticate...
2011/01/16 15:16:30 :: wpa_supplicant authentication may have failed.
2011/01/16 15:16:30 :: connect result is Failed
2011/01/16 15:16:30 :: exiting connection thread
2011/01/16 15:16:30 :: Sending connection attempt result bad_pass
2011/01/16 15:16:56 :: Connecting to wireless network NETGEAR-JL
2011/01/16 15:17:00 :: Putting interface down
2011/01/16 15:17:00 :: Releasing DHCP leases...
2011/01/16 15:17:00 :: Setting false IP...
2011/01/16 15:17:04 :: Stopping wpa_supplicant
2011/01/16 15:17:04 :: Flushing the routing table...
2011/01/16 15:17:04 :: Putting interface up...
2011/01/16 15:17:06 :: Generating psk...
2011/01/16 15:17:06 :: Attempting to authenticate...
2011/01/16 15:17:41 :: wpa_supplicant authentication may have failed.
2011/01/16 15:17:41 :: connect result is Failed
2011/01/16 15:17:41 :: exiting connection thread
2011/01/16 15:17:41 :: Sending connection attempt result bad_pass

It's the same wicd version talking to the same router using the same password.
Why does it work on 10.04 and not on 10.10?

-Jerry
=============================================
Jerry Lapham
Monroe, OH 45050
rjlapham@gmail.com
=============================================
The Procrastinator's Meeting has been postponed.

--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
 
Old 01-17-2011, 06:38 AM
Bruce Marshall
 
Default Why won't 10.10 connect?

On Monday, January 17, 2011, Jerry Lapham wrote:
> 011/01/16 15:17:04 :: Putting interface up...
> 2011/01/16 15:17:06 :: Generating psk...
> 2011/01/16 15:17:06 :: Attempting to authenticate...
> 2011/01/16 15:17:41 :: wpa_supplicant authentication may have failed.
> 2011/01/16 15:17:41 :: connect result is Failed
> 2011/01/16 15:17:41 :: exiting connection thread
> 2011/01/16 15:17:41 :: Sending connection attempt result bad_pass
>
> It's the same wicd version talking to the same router using the same
> password. Why does it work on 10.04 and not on 10.10?


Check for two copies of WPA_supplicant running.

Or check if you also have networkmanager installed. These two conflict
because they each bring up a copy of WPA-sup.... and that just doesn't work.

If networkmanager is installed, purge it.

--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
 
Old 01-17-2011, 04:29 PM
Paul Lemmons
 
Default Why won't 10.10 connect?

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Why won't 10.10 connect?
From: Jerry Lapham <rjlapham@gmail.com>
To: kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Date: 01/16/2011 10:41 PM


I have a laptop with Kubuntu 10.04 on sda5. I wanted to upgrade to Kubuntu
10.10 so I wouldn't have to configure everything from scratch, but I also
wanted to keep 10.04 intact. So I cloned 10.04 on sda6 and upgraded that. It
had worked fine on my desktop and it mostly works on the laptop except for wifi.

When I attempt to connect to my router from 10.04 on sda5 I get:

<snip ... it works>
When I attempt to connect to my router from 10.10 on sda6 I get:

<snip ... it does not work>


I do not know if this is the case here but 10.10 does not work with
802.11-N. If that is what you are trying to do, try connecting at
802.11-G and see if you have better luck.


--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
 
Old 01-17-2011, 09:15 PM
Jerry Lapham
 
Default Why won't 10.10 connect?

On Monday, January 17, 2011 02:38:46 am Bruce Marshall wrote:

> On Monday, January 17, 2011, Jerry Lapham wrote:
> > 011/01/16 15:17:04 :: Putting interface up...
> > 2011/01/16 15:17:06 :: Generating psk...
> > 2011/01/16 15:17:06 :: Attempting to authenticate...
> > 2011/01/16 15:17:41 :: wpa_supplicant authentication may have failed.
> > 2011/01/16 15:17:41 :: connect result is Failed
> > 2011/01/16 15:17:41 :: exiting connection thread
> > 2011/01/16 15:17:41 :: Sending connection attempt result bad_pass
> >
> > It's the same wicd version talking to the same router using the same
> > password. Why does it work on 10.04 and not on 10.10?
>
> Check for two copies of WPA_supplicant running.

Nope, just one.

>
> Or check if you also have networkmanager installed. These two conflict
> because they each bring up a copy of WPA-sup.... and that just doesn't
> work.
>
> If networkmanager is installed, purge it.

It's not installed.

-Jerry
=============================================
Jerry Lapham
Monroe, OH 45050
rjlapham@gmail.com
=============================================
"Given our monstrous, overgrown government structure, any three letters chosen
at random would probably designate an agency or part of a department that
could be profitably abolished." ---Milton Friedman

--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
 
Old 01-19-2011, 07:19 PM
Jerry Lapham
 
Default Why won't 10.10 connect?

On Monday, January 17, 2011 05:15:13 pm Jerry Lapham wrote:

> On Monday, January 17, 2011 02:38:46 am Bruce Marshall wrote:
> > On Monday, January 17, 2011, Jerry Lapham wrote:
> > > 011/01/16 15:17:04 :: Putting interface up...
> > > 2011/01/16 15:17:06 :: Generating psk...
> > > 2011/01/16 15:17:06 :: Attempting to authenticate...
> > > 2011/01/16 15:17:41 :: wpa_supplicant authentication may have failed.
> > > 2011/01/16 15:17:41 :: connect result is Failed
> > > 2011/01/16 15:17:41 :: exiting connection thread
> > > 2011/01/16 15:17:41 :: Sending connection attempt result bad_pass
> > >
> > > It's the same wicd version talking to the same router using the same
> > > password. Why does it work on 10.04 and not on 10.10?
> >
> > Check for two copies of WPA_supplicant running.
>
> Nope, just one.
>
> > Or check if you also have networkmanager installed. These two conflict
> > because they each bring up a copy of WPA-sup.... and that just doesn't
> > work.
> >
> > If networkmanager is installed, purge it.
>
> It's not installed.

Shortly after this reply I noticed that an icon for networkmanager appeared (I
hadn't seen it before) and it finally connected. Then wicd also showed it
connected. They both connected then dropped intermittently as though they
were fighting each other.

Since I didn't seem to be able to uninstall networkmanager, I decided to give
up and uninstall wicd. But when I tried "apt-get remove wicd" it said it
wasn't installed. I ended up renaming "/usr/share/wicd" to keep it from
loading and now networkmanager connects and stays connected.

Kind of crude, but it worked.

-Jerry
=============================================
Jerry Lapham
Monroe, OH 45050
rjlapham@gmail.com
=============================================
Why the ticket? The sign says "Fine for Parking".

--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
 
Old 01-19-2011, 10:06 PM
Waleed Hamra
 
Default Why won't 10.10 connect?

On 01/19/2011 10:19 PM, Jerry Lapham wrote:
> On Monday, January 17, 2011 05:15:13 pm Jerry Lapham wrote:
>
>> On Monday, January 17, 2011 02:38:46 am Bruce Marshall wrote:
>>> On Monday, January 17, 2011, Jerry Lapham wrote:
>>>> 011/01/16 15:17:04 :: Putting interface up...
>>>> 2011/01/16 15:17:06 :: Generating psk...
>>>> 2011/01/16 15:17:06 :: Attempting to authenticate...
>>>> 2011/01/16 15:17:41 :: wpa_supplicant authentication may have failed.
>>>> 2011/01/16 15:17:41 :: connect result is Failed
>>>> 2011/01/16 15:17:41 :: exiting connection thread
>>>> 2011/01/16 15:17:41 :: Sending connection attempt result bad_pass
>>>>
>>>> It's the same wicd version talking to the same router using the same
>>>> password. Why does it work on 10.04 and not on 10.10?
>>>
>>> Check for two copies of WPA_supplicant running.
>>
>> Nope, just one.
>>
>>> Or check if you also have networkmanager installed. These two conflict
>>> because they each bring up a copy of WPA-sup.... and that just doesn't
>>> work.
>>>
>>> If networkmanager is installed, purge it.
>>
>> It's not installed.
>
> Shortly after this reply I noticed that an icon for networkmanager appeared (I
> hadn't seen it before) and it finally connected. Then wicd also showed it
> connected. They both connected then dropped intermittently as though they
> were fighting each other.
>
> Since I didn't seem to be able to uninstall networkmanager, I decided to give
> up and uninstall wicd. But when I tried "apt-get remove wicd" it said it
> wasn't installed. I ended up renaming "/usr/share/wicd" to keep it from
> loading and now networkmanager connects and stays connected.
>
> Kind of crude, but it worked.
>

glad that things worked. if you want to clean wicd correctly, rename the
folder back correctly, and copy/paste this in a terminal:

dpkg --get-selections | grep wicd

this will list the wicd related packages, which you can then remove,
because "wicd" is just a virtual package. the real wicd is installed as
wicd-gtk or wicd-client, etc... depending on what was chosen for the
interface.

--
Waleed K. Hamra
Manager of Hamra Information Systems

--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
 
Old 01-19-2011, 11:23 PM
Bruce Marshall
 
Default Why won't 10.10 connect?

On Wednesday, January 19, 2011, Waleed Hamra wrote:
> glad that things worked. if you want to clean wicd correctly, rename the
> folder back correctly, and copy/paste this in a terminal:
>
> dpkg --get-selections | grep wicd
>
> this will list the wicd related packages, which you can then remove,
> because "wicd" is just a virtual package. the real wicd is installed as
> wicd-gtk or wicd-client, etc... depending on what was chosen for the
> interface.

A much handier method in my view would be:

aptitude search wicd

which would show:

i python-wicd - wired and wireless network manager - Python modul
i wicd - wired and wireless network manager - metapackage
p wicd-cli - wired and wireless network manager - scriptable c
v wicd-client -
p wicd-curses - wired and wireless network manager - Curses clien
i wicd-daemon - wired and wireless network manager - daemon
i wicd-gtk - wired and wireless network manager - GTK+ client


The "i" means installed

--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 06:55 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org