Old 01-12-2011, 02:41 AM
Billie Walsh

Default Update Locks Package Handling

An update a few weeks ago now has my system locked from doing any form
of software install or update. I'm not sure how to explain this to well.

When I try to run synaptic I get a message that it can't access the data
base because something else is already running. It tells me to run dpkge
configure but that hangs after a couple seconds at configure grub and
never finishes. I'm just about to the old Windows standby, Fdisk -
Format - Install.

The system boots up and runs pretty much normal most of the time.
Sometimes when it boots up the Nvidia drives won't load properly but if
I boot it a couple times it generally will work

ANY ideas are gratefully accepted.

10.04-64
AMD quad core
4gigs

_ _... ..._ _
_._ ._ ..... ._.. ... .._

Old 01-12-2011, 03:20 AM
gene heskett

On Tuesday, January 11, 2011 11:19:35 pm Billie Walsh did opine:

> An update a few weeks ago now has my system locked from doing any form
> of software install or update. I'm not sure how to explain this to well.
>
> When I try to run synaptic I get a message that it can't access the data
> base because something else is already running. It tells me to run dpkge
> configure but that hangs after a couple seconds at configure grub and
> never finishes. I'm just about to the old Windows standby, Fdisk -
> Format - Install.
>
> The system boots up and runs pretty much normal most of the time.
> Sometimes when it boots up the Nvidia drives won't load properly but if
> I boot it a couple times it generally will work
>
> ANY ideas are gratefully accepted.
>
> 10.04-64
> AMD quad core
> 4gigs

I believe the next thing I'd do was to let memtest86 simmer for half a day
& see what falls out.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

Old 01-12-2011, 04:39 AM
"Goh Lip"

On Wed, 12 Jan 2011 11:41:13 +0800, Billie Walsh <bilwalsh@swbell.net>
An update a few weeks ago now has my system locked from doing any form
of software install or update. I'm not sure how to explain this to well.

You can remove /var/cache/apt/archives/lock without any problem and try to
update/upgrade again.

When I try to run synaptic I get a message that it can't access the data
base because something else is already running.

Usually that's because the auto updater is currently being run. Wait a few
minutes and try again.

It tells me to run dpkge configure but that hangs after a couple seconds
at configure grub and never finishes. I'm just about to the old Windows
standby, Fdisk - Format - Install.

May not be necessary; could be something simpler like above. And for grub,
config is best done by "grub-install" or "update-grub". But as I said, may
not be necessary.

The system boots up and runs pretty much normal most of the time.
Sometimes when it boots up the Nvidia drives won't load properly but if
I boot it a couple times it generally will work

Check if nvdia settings and xorg-xserver is for the current driver version.

ANY ideas are gratefully accepted.

10.04-64
AMD quad core
4gigs

Regards - Goh Lip

--
I used to have an open mind,
but my brains kept falling out.

Old 01-12-2011, 05:27 PM
Billie Walsh

An update a few weeks ago now has my system locked from doing any
form of software install or update. I'm not sure how to explain this
to well.

You can remove /var/cache/apt/archives/lock without any problem and
try to update/upgrade again.

Didn't do any good. Still can't access anything to install or update.

_ _... ..._ _
_._ ._ ..... ._.. ... .._

Old 01-12-2011, 06:48 PM
"Goh Lip"

On Thu, 13 Jan 2011 02:27:08 +0800, Billie Walsh <bilwalsh@swbell.net>
An update a few weeks ago now has my system locked from doing any form
of software install or update. I'm not sure how to explain this to
well.

You can remove /var/cache/apt/archives/lock without any problem and try
to update/upgrade again.

Didn't do any good. Still can't access anything to install or update.

Then it's not the apt cache lock but the dpkg lock.
However, I'll be careful to do the recommended method per
http://askubuntu.com/questions/15433/fixing-could-not-get-lock-var-lib-dpkg-lock

I'd rather try the following first .....

sudo dpkg --configure -a
sudo apt-get -f install

Regards, good luck - Goh Lip

Old 01-12-2011, 07:21 PM
Billie Walsh

On Wed, 12 Jan 2011 11:41:13 +0800, Billie Walsh
An update a few weeks ago now has my system locked from doing any
form of software install or update. I'm not sure how to explain
this to well.

You can remove /var/cache/apt/archives/lock without any problem and
try to update/upgrade again.

Didn't do any good. Still can't access anything to install or update.

Then it's not the apt cache lock but the dpkg lock.
However, I'll be careful to do the recommended method per
http://askubuntu.com/questions/15433/fixing-could-not-get-lock-var-lib-dpkg-lock

I'd rather try the following first .....

sudo dpkg --configure -a
sudo apt-get -f install

Regards, good luck - Goh Lip

When you do the first of those commands it hangs on the grub configure.
Never finishes. I left it for a whole day and it just sat there.

_ _... ..._ _
_._ ._ ..... ._.. ... .._

Old 01-12-2011, 09:56 PM
Clay Weber

On Wednesday, January 12, 2011 12:39:34 AM Goh Lip wrote:
> On Wed, 12 Jan 2011 11:41:13 +0800, Billie Walsh <bilwalsh@swbell.net>
>
> wrote:
> > An update a few weeks ago now has my system locked from doing any form
> > of software install or update. I'm not sure how to explain this to well.
>
> You can remove /var/cache/apt/archives/lock without any problem and try to
> update/upgrade again.
>
> > When I try to run synaptic I get a message that it can't access the data
> > base because something else is already running.
>
> Usually that's because the auto updater is currently being run. Wait a few
> minutes and try again.

there is more than one place for a lock file, if you run
sudo apt-get update or
sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
if there is a so-called stale lock file the error message will give the proper
filename and path.

clay

Old 01-13-2011, 12:11 AM
"Goh Lip"

On Thu, 13 Jan 2011 04:21:45 +0800, Billie Walsh <bilwalsh@swbell.net>
Then it's not the apt cache lock but the dpkg lock.
However, I'll be careful to do the recommended method per
http://askubuntu.com/questions/15433/fixing-could-not-get-lock-var-lib-dpkg-lock
I'd rather try the following first .....

sudo dpkg --configure -a
sudo apt-get -f install

When you do the first of those commands it hangs on the grub configure.
Never finishes. I left it for a whole day and it just sat there.

Okay, understand.
Start with.....
sudo grub-install /dev/sda (assuming it's sda)
If in error, you may have to use '-f' (force)
sudo apt-get install -f grub-pc

then.....
sudo apt-get -f install
sudo dpkg --configure -a

Hope this is better, if still not okay proceed to....
http://askubuntu.com/questions/15433/fixing-could-not-get-lock-var-lib-dpkg-lock

Good luck again. - Goh Lip
ps: I assume you're on grub2 and have not removed it and use grub-legacy
instead.

Old 01-13-2011, 12:45 AM
Billie Walsh