Old 01-11-2011, 10:09 AM
Brian Wootton

Default Stuck at the login screen (Jonas Norlander)

On 10/01/11 23:23, kubuntu-users-request@lists.ubuntu.com wrote:

gave up!!

Hope the above makes sense.
The reason I wanted to go into single user mode was because I have been
having the odd flaky boot once or twice a week, the symptoms being
very like a hard drive with a dodgy block in the boot area and I wanted
to do an fsck with various flags to see if anything came up.
I was bone idle when I installed Lucid and just had the one giant
partition

shan't do that with Maverick.
I've got 'https://help.ubuntu.com/community/KeyboardShortcuts' but it
doesn't mention the CNTRL-ALT-Fx functions at all, do you know where I
can

find them please.
Thank you very much for your help and advice but don't spend a lot of
time
on this as I'm going install Maverick shortly - maybe that will make a
difference.

regards
brian

Forget the above, when I booted this morning all I got was :
Failed to boot both default and fall back entries
Couldn't read file - blah, blah blah
Kernel panic - not syncing - blah, blah, blah

got the grub prompt eventually but it would only allow me to type a single
character before giving the prompt again.
So bye bye Lucid, Maverick here I come
thanks all
brian

Old 01-11-2011, 11:16 AM
Bruce Marshall

On Tuesday, January 11, 2011, Brian Wootton wrote:
> got the grub prompt eventually but it would only allow me to type a single
> character before giving the prompt again.
> So bye bye Lucid, Maverick here I come

I'm thinking you have a hardware problem......

Old 01-12-2011, 02:23 PM
Brian Wootton

On 12/01/11 11:36, kubuntu-users-request@lists.ubuntu.com wrote:

On Tuesday, January 11, 2011, Brian Wootton wrote:

> got the grub prompt eventually but it would only allow me to type a single
> character before giving the prompt again.
> So bye bye Lucid, Maverick here I come

I'm thinking you have a hardware problem......

You were so right, it was either a dud SATA II port on the motherboard
or a badly
routed data cable, this is all I fiddled with in the tower and it
appeared to fix the
problem - Maverick install failed at the partitioning stage until I had
mucked about
with the hard drive cabling. I've heard reports in the past about
mis-matching on

the SATA II data link cable - signal reflections causing errors.
Anyway, the upgrade from Lucid to Maverick has been pretty painless - so
far - as

you can see.
brian

Old 01-12-2011, 05:21 PM
gene heskett

On Wednesday, January 12, 2011 01:09:19 pm Brian Wootton did opine:

> > I'm thinking you have a hardware problem......
>
> You were so right, it was either a dud SATA II port on the motherboard
> or a badly
> routed data cable, this is all I fiddled with in the tower and it
> appeared to fix the
> problem - Maverick install failed at the partitioning stage until I had
> mucked about
> with the hard drive cabling. I've heard reports in the past about
> mis-matching on
> the SATA II data link cable - signal reflections causing errors.
> Anyway, the upgrade from Lucid to Maverick has been pretty painless - so
> far - as
> you can see.
> brian

One other thing I am compelled to comment on. I have good color vision,
and that "hot" red dye used in 99.9% of all sata cables has a 40 some year
history with me, of causing premature cable failures. The copper wire
within it will slowly oxidize or whatever, becoming black, brittle,
breakable and cannot be cleaned up enough to make a good solder joint.
Typically in not more than 5 years and often sooner. I am slowly
collecting bad sata cables here from that effect myself, and actively
looking for some place on the net selling replacement cables that don't
have this faint tinge of magenta red colored jacket. FWIW, old time
American cable makers that no longer exist, used a different dye, a darker
red, that doesn't cause this time related copper failure.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)