-   -   Stuck at the login screen (http://www.linux-archive.org/kubuntu-user/474777-stuck-login-screen.html)

Homer 01-10-2011 05:20 PM

Stuck at the login screen

Fresh install of Kubuntu 10.04 LTS.

Machine is a microcomputer; an older version of this:
http://www.norhtec.com/products/mcjrmx/index.html

I successfully ran 8.04 on this machine in the past. 10.04 installs
without a hitch, but I'm stuck at the login screen. Entering a
username/password the login process starts, but about 2/3 of the way
through the screen goes blank, and when it comes back I am again at
the login in screen.

Result is the same when choosing the failsafe option.

Bruce Marshall 01-10-2011 05:31 PM

Stuck at the login screen

On Monday, January 10, 2011, Homer wrote:
> I successfully ran 8.04 on this machine in the past. 10.04 installs
> without a hitch, but I'm stuck at the login screen. Entering a
> username/password the login process starts, but about 2/3 of the way
> through the screen goes blank, and when it comes back I am again at
> the login in screen.

Something went wrong with the startup of KDE... I have seen this happen with
a /home that is out of space, or the permissions are wrong somewhere in the
system, or any number of reasonable explanations.

I would start looking around for these types of problems.

Jonas Norlander 01-10-2011 06:16 PM

Stuck at the login screen

2011/1/10 Homer <fsunoles@gmail.com>:
> Fresh install of Kubuntu 10.04 LTS.
>
> Machine is a microcomputer; an older version of this:
> http://www.norhtec.com/products/mcjrmx/index.html
>
> I successfully ran 8.04 on this machine in the past. *10.04 installs
> without a hitch, but I'm stuck at the login screen. *Entering a
> username/password the login process starts, but about 2/3 of the way
> through the screen goes blank, and when it comes back I am again at
> the login in screen.
>
> Result is the same when choosing the failsafe option.

After a failed login, switch to a console, login and check your
~/xsession-errors and /var/log/Xorg.0.log for clues.

/ Jonas

Homer 01-10-2011 07:40 PM

Stuck at the login screen

On Mon, Jan 10, 2011 at 12:16 PM, Jonas Norlander <jonorland@gmail.com> wrote:
> 2011/1/10 Homer <fsunoles@gmail.com>:
>> Fresh install of Kubuntu 10.04 LTS.
>>
>> Machine is a microcomputer; an older version of this:
>> http://www.norhtec.com/products/mcjrmx/index.html
>>
>> I successfully ran 8.04 on this machine in the past. *10.04 installs
>> without a hitch, but I'm stuck at the login screen. *Entering a
>> username/password the login process starts, but about 2/3 of the way
>> through the screen goes blank, and when it comes back I am again at
>> the login in screen.
>>
>> Result is the same when choosing the failsafe option.
>>

> After a failed login, switch to a console, login and check your
> ~/xsession-errors and /var/log/Xorg.0.log for clues.

Thank you for the replies. I have since tried/checked:

1. Directories have plenty of space
2. Deleted .kde
3. Updated the OS
4. Tried dpkg-reconfigure xorg-configure, but it didn't ask any questions
5. sudo Xorg -configure, and put the created xorg.conf file in /etc/X11

- None of the that helped. Still getting the same result.

On first boot I can switch to a console with Ctrl-Alt-F2. If I
subsequently try and graphically login (which fails) and then open a
console session with Ctrl-Alt-F2, the console screen is garbage.

The .xsession-errors file has some information, but what it means I
don't know. Only 85 lines, so I suppose it is not the end of the
world to copy it below.

------------------------------------

Xsession: X session started for tsi at Mon Jan 10 13:17:39 MST 2011
Setting IM through im-switch for locale=en_US.
Start IM through /etc/X11/xinit/xinput.d/all_ALL linked to
/etc/X11/xinit/xinput.d/default.
startkde: Starting up...
kdeinit4: preparing to launch /usr/lib/libkdeinit4_klauncher.so
Connecting to deprecated signal
QDBusConnectionInterface::serviceOwnerChanged(QStr ing,QString,QString)
kdeinit4: preparing to launch /usr/lib/libkdeinit4_kded4.so
kdeinit4: preparing to launch /usr/lib/libkdeinit4_kbuildsycoca4.so
kbuildsycoca4 running...
kded(1250): "Error launching /usr/bin/kbuildsycoca4. Either KLauncher
is not running anymore, or it failed to start the application."

kded(1249): Communication problem with "kded" , it probably crashed.
Error message was: "org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.NoReply" : " "Did not
receive a reply. Possible causes include: the remote application did
not send a reply, the message bus security policy blocked the reply,
the reply timeout expired, or the network connection was broken." "

kdeinit4: preparing to launch /usr/lib/libkdeinit4_kcminit_startup.so
kdeinit4: preparing to launch /usr/lib/libkdeinit4_kconf_update.so
Connecting to deprecated signal
QDBusConnectionInterface::serviceOwnerChanged(QStr ing,QString,QString)
kdeinit4: preparing to launch /usr/lib/libkdeinit4_ksmserver.so
<unknown program name>(1247)/ KStartupInfo::createNewStartupId:
creating: "sxf-tsi;1294690697;322429;1247_TIME0" : "unnamed app"
QObject::connect: Cannot connect (null)::accessibilityChanged(bool,
const QString) to DeviceAutomounter::deviceMountChanged(bool, const
QString)
kded(1250)/kdecore (KConfigSkeleton) KCoreConfigSkeleton::writeConfig:
kded(1250)/kdecore (KLibrary) kde4Factory: The library
"/usr/lib/kde4/solid_hal_power.so" does not offer a qt_plugin_instance
function.
Invalid D-BUS member name 'idle-hint' found in interface
'org.freedesktop.ConsoleKit.Session' while parsing introspection
Invalid D-BUS member name 'is-local' found in interface
'org.freedesktop.ConsoleKit.Session' while parsing introspection
Invalid D-BUS member name 'x11-display-device' found in interface
'org.freedesktop.ConsoleKit.Session' while parsing introspection
Invalid D-BUS member name 'x11-display' found in interface
'org.freedesktop.ConsoleKit.Session' while parsing introspection
Invalid D-BUS member name 'display-device' found in interface
'org.freedesktop.ConsoleKit.Session' while parsing introspection
Invalid D-BUS member name 'remote-host-name' found in interface
'org.freedesktop.ConsoleKit.Session' while parsing introspection
Invalid D-BUS member name 'session-type' found in interface
'org.freedesktop.ConsoleKit.Session' while parsing introspection
Invalid D-BUS member name 'unix-user' found in interface
'org.freedesktop.ConsoleKit.Session' while parsing introspection
kdeinit4: preparing to launch /usr/lib/libkdeinit4_kglobalaccel.so
kglobalaccel(1338) GlobalShortcutsRegistry::loadSettings: Loading group "kded"
kglobalaccel(1338) GlobalShortcutsRegistry::registerKey: Registering
key "Monitor Brightness Up" for "kded" : "Increase Screen Brightness"
kglobalaccel(1338) GlobalShortcutsRegistry::registerKey: Registering
key "Monitor Brightness Down" for "kded" : "Decrease Screen
Brightness"
QDBusConnection: name 'org.kde.kglobalaccel' had owner ' but we
thought it was ':1.7'
kdeinit4: preparing to launch /usr/lib/libkdeinit4_kconf_update.so
kdeinit4: preparing to launch /usr/lib/libkdeinit4_plasma-desktop.so
kephald starting up
XRANDR error base: 164
RRInput mask is set!!
RandRScreen::loadSettings - adding mode: 123 800 x 600
RandRScreen::loadSettings - adding mode: 124 800 x 600
RandRScreen::loadSettings - adding mode: 125 640 x 480
RandRScreen::loadSettings - adding mode: 126 640 x 480
RandRScreen::loadSettings - adding crtc: 121
RandRScreen::loadSettings - adding output: 122
Setting CRTC 121 on output "default" (previous 0 )
CRTC outputs: (122)
Output name: "default"
Output refresh rate: 60
Output rect: QRect(0,0 800x600)
Output rotation: 1
XRandROutputs::init
added output 122
adding an output 0 with geom: QRect(0,0 800x600)
output: "SCREEN-0" QRect(0,0 800x600) 0 true false
load xml
connected: 1
looking for current "SCREEN-0"
known "*" has score: 0.125
screen: 0 QRect(0,0 800x600)
looking for a matching configuration...
connected: 1
looking for current "SCREEN-0"
known "*" has score: 0.125
found outputs, known: false
activate external configuration!!
registered the service: true
screens registered on the bus: true
outputs registered on the bus: true
configurations registered on the bus: true
kdeinit4: Fatal IO error: client killed
kdeinit4: sending SIGHUP to children.
kded4: Fatal IO error: client killed
Qt-subapplication: Fatal IO error: client killed
kglobalaccel: Fatal IO error: client killed
kwin: Fatal IO error: client killed
klauncher: Exiting on signal 1
kdeinit4: Fatal IO error: client killed
kdeinit4: sending SIGHUP to children.
KCrash: Application 'ksmserver' crashing...
Warning: connect() failed: : No such file or directory
KCrash cannot reach kdeinit, launching directly.
kdeinit4: sending SIGTERM to children.
kdeinit4: Exit.

Clay Weber 01-11-2011 01:23 AM

Stuck at the login screen

On Mon, Jan 10, 2011 at 3:40 PM, Homer <fsunoles@gmail.com> wrote:

On Mon, Jan 10, 2011 at 12:16 PM, Jonas Norlander <jonorland@gmail.com> wrote:

> 2011/1/10 Homer <fsunoles@gmail.com>:

>> Fresh install of Kubuntu 10.04 LTS.

>> Machine is a microcomputer; an older version of this:

>> http://www.norhtec.com/products/mcjrmx/index.html

>> I successfully ran 8.04 on this machine in the past. *10.04 installs

>> without a hitch, but I'm stuck at the login screen. *Entering a

>> username/password the login process starts, but about 2/3 of the way

>> through the screen goes blank, and when it comes back I am again at

>> the login in screen.

>> Result is the same when choosing the failsafe option.

At the login screen, select "console login" from one of the button on the screen (can't remeber which one). Once there issue the following commands

sudo service kdm stop

(this is to make sure KDM is not running in for the next step)

then run this:
startx

This may provide a better error message which may help get to the bottom of this.

What video card does this system have?

Clay Weber

Homer 01-11-2011 06:36 PM

Stuck at the login screen

On Mon, Jan 10, 2011 at 7:23 PM, Clay Weber <claydoh@claydoh.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Jan 10, 2011 at 3:40 PM, Homer <fsunoles@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> On Mon, Jan 10, 2011 at 12:16 PM, Jonas Norlander <jonorland@gmail.com>
>> wrote:

> At the login screen, select "console login" from one of the button on the
> screen (can't remeber which one). Once there issue the following commands
>
> sudo service kdm stop
> (this is to make sure KDM is not running in for the next step)
>
> then run this:
> startx

The result of these steps is the machine locks up. It stops at the
point a normal attempt would cycle back to the login screen. Through
switching terminals during subsequent attempts I was able to see the
messages resulting from the startx command. Nothing stood out to me.
The final line was: "Errors from xkbcomp are not fatal to the X
server." Is there a way to capture the startx messages?

> What video card does this system have?

The Xorg.log file has some info. Looks like a VIA chipset CX700/VX700

(II) Module openchrome: vendor="http://openchrome.org/"
Module class: X.Org Video Driver
ABI class: X.Org Video Driver, version 6.0
(II) OPENCHROME: Driver for VIA Chrome chipsets: CLE266, KM400/KN400,
K8M800/K8N800, PM800/PM880/CN400, VM800/P4M800Pro/VN800/CN700,
K8M890/K8N890, P4M900/VN896/CN896, CX700/VX700, P4M890, VX800/VX820,
VX855/VX875
(II) Primary Device is: PCI 01@00:00:0
(!!) VIA Technologies does not support this driver in any way.
(!!) For support, please refer to http://www.openchrome.org/.
(!!) (development build, compiled on Mon Mar 22 20:33:42 2010)
(II) CHROME(0): VIAPreInit
(II) Loading sub module "vgahw"
(II) LoadModule: "vgahw"
(II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/libvgahw.so
(II) Module vgahw: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
ABI class: X.Org Video Driver, version 6.0
(II) CHROME(0): VIAGetRec
(==) CHROME(0): Depth 24, (--) framebuffer bpp 32
(==) CHROME(0): RGB weight 888
(==) CHROME(0): Default visual is TrueColor
(--) CHROME(0): Chipset: CX700/VX700
(--) CHROME(0): Chipset revision: 0
(--) CHROME(0): Probed amount of VideoRAM = 65536 kB

Waleed Hamra 01-11-2011 07:45 PM

Stuck at the login screen

On 01/11/2011 09:36 PM, Homer wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 10, 2011 at 7:23 PM, Clay Weber <claydoh@claydoh.com> wrote:
>>

>> On Mon, Jan 10, 2011 at 3:40 PM, Homer <fsunoles@gmail.com> wrote:

>> At the login screen, select "console login" from one of the button on the
>> screen (can't remeber which one). Once there issue the following commands
>>
>> sudo service kdm stop
>> (this is to make sure KDM is not running in for the next step)
>>
>> then run this:
>> startx
>
> The result of these steps is the machine locks up. It stops at the
> point a normal attempt would cycle back to the login screen. Through
> switching terminals during subsequent attempts I was able to see the
> messages resulting from the startx command. Nothing stood out to me.
> The final line was: "Errors from xkbcomp are not fatal to the X
> server." Is there a way to capture the startx messages?

<snip>

to capture the message being thrown by the command, type this on the
command line:

startx 1>/tmp/x.log 2>&1

this will place all output to a file in /tmp called X.log, you can then
read it using your favourite program, like:

less /tmp/x.log
or
nano /tmp/x.log

--
Waleed K. Hamra
Manager of Hamra Information Systems

Homer 01-11-2011 09:03 PM

Stuck at the login screen

On Tue, Jan 11, 2011 at 1:45 PM, Waleed Hamra <kubuntu-users@whamra.com> wrote:
> On 01/11/2011 09:36 PM, Homer wrote:

>>> At the login screen, select "console login" from one of the button on the
>>> screen (can't remeber which one). Once there issue the following commands
>>>
>>> sudo service kdm stop
>>> (this is to make sure KDM is not running in for the next step)
>>>
>>> then run this:
>>> startx
>>
>> The result of these steps is the machine locks up. *It stops at the
>> point a normal attempt would cycle back to the login screen. *Through
>> switching terminals during subsequent attempts I was able to see the
>> messages resulting from the startx command. *Nothing stood out to me.
>> The final line was: "Errors from xkbcomp are not fatal to the X
>> server." *Is there a way to capture the startx messages?
>>

> <snip>
>
> to capture the message being thrown by the command, type this on the
> command line:
>
> startx 1>/tmp/x.log 2>&1

Of course. Thank you for that reminder. Below is the output from the
startx command:

X.Org X Server 1.7.6
Release Date: 2010-03-17
X Protocol Version 11, Revision 0
Build Operating System: Linux 2.6.24-28-server i686 Ubuntu
Current Operating System: Linux sxf-tsi 2.6.32-27-generic #49-Ubuntu SMP Wed Dec
1 23:52:12 UTC 2010 i686
Kernel command line: BOOT_IMAGE=/vmlinuz-2.6.32-27-generic root=UUID=0f5485af-87
27-4c27-8ceb-588f873771f0 ro quiet splash
Build Date: 10 November 2010 11:25:26AM
xorg-server 2:1.7.6-2ubuntu7.4 (For technical support please see http://www.ubun
tu.com/support)
Current version of pixman: 0.16.4
Before reporting problems, check http://wiki.x.org
(++) from command line, (!!) notice, (II) informational,
(==) Log file: "/var/log/Xorg.0.log", Time: Tue Jan 11 15:00:02 2011
(==) Using config file: "/etc/X11/xorg.conf"
(==) Using config directory: "/usr/lib/X11/xorg.conf.d"
Fulfilled via DRI at 7683200
Freed 7683200 (pool 2)
The XKEYBOARD keymap compiler (xkbcomp) reports:
> Warning: Type "ONE_LEVEL" has 1 levels, but <RALT> has 2 symbols
> Ignoring extra symbols
Errors from xkbcomp are not fatal to the X server
X: main/renderbuffer.c:2067: _mesa_reference_renderbuffer: Assertion `oldRb->Mag
ic == 0xaabbccdd' failed.
xinit: connection to X server lost.

Homer 02-01-2011 08:38 PM

Stuck at the login screen

On Tue, Jan 11, 2011 at 3:03 PM, Homer <fsunoles@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 11, 2011 at 1:45 PM, Waleed Hamra <kubuntu-users@whamra.com> wrote:

>>> The result of these steps is the machine locks up. *It stops at the
>>> point a normal attempt would cycle back to the login screen. *Through
>>> switching terminals during subsequent attempts I was able to see the
>>> messages resulting from the startx command. *Nothing stood out to me.
>>> The final line was: "Errors from xkbcomp are not fatal to the X
>>> server." *Is there a way to capture the startx messages?
>>>

>> <snip>
>>
>> to capture the message being thrown by the command, type this on the
>> command line:
>>
>> startx 1>/tmp/x.log 2>&1
>
> Of course. *Thank you for that reminder. *Below is the output from the
> startx command:
>
> X.Org X Server 1.7.6
> Release Date: 2010-03-17
> X Protocol Version 11, Revision 0
> Build Operating System: Linux 2.6.24-28-server i686 Ubuntu
> Current Operating System: Linux sxf-tsi 2.6.32-27-generic #49-Ubuntu SMP Wed Dec
> *1 23:52:12 UTC 2010 i686
> Kernel command line: BOOT_IMAGE=/vmlinuz-2.6.32-27-generic root=UUID=0f5485af-87
> 27-4c27-8ceb-588f873771f0 ro quiet splash
> Build Date: 10 November 2010 *11:25:26AM
> xorg-server 2:1.7.6-2ubuntu7.4 (For technical support please see http://www.ubun
> tu.com/support)
> Current version of pixman: 0.16.4
> * * * *Before reporting problems, check http://wiki.x.org
> * * * *to make sure that you have the latest version.
> Markers: (--) probed, (**) from config file, (==) default setting,
> * * * *(++) from command line, (!!) notice, (II) informational,
> * * * *(WW) warning, (EE) error, (NI) not implemented, (??) unknown.
> (==) Log file: "/var/log/Xorg.0.log", Time: Tue Jan 11 15:00:02 2011
> (==) Using config file: "/etc/X11/xorg.conf"
> (==) Using config directory: "/usr/lib/X11/xorg.conf.d"
> Fulfilled via DRI at 7683200
> Freed 7683200 (pool 2)
> The XKEYBOARD keymap compiler (xkbcomp) reports:
>> Warning: * * * * *Type "ONE_LEVEL" has 1 levels, but <RALT> has 2 symbols
>> * * * * * * * * * Ignoring extra symbols
> Errors from xkbcomp are not fatal to the X server
> X: main/renderbuffer.c:2067: _mesa_reference_renderbuffer: Assertion `oldRb->Mag
> ic == 0xaabbccdd' failed.
> xinit: *connection to X server lost.

I decided to get back after this today. I did some searching and
found this link:

In there it was suggested to add to the xorg.conf file:
Section "ServerFlags"
Option "AIGLX" "off"
EndSection

or set:
ShadowFB "True"

I tried the second suggestion and I was able to log in successfully.
There didn't seem to be a distinction between the two suggestions as
far as if one was better than the other. Bottom line is there seems
to be a bug that was introduced between 8.04 and 10.04.

ray burke 02-02-2011 06:30 PM

Stuck at the login screen

Homer,

how do input "ShaodwFB "True"" when you cant even get the system up as cant
login?

ray