Old 02-02-2011, 08:08 PM
Homer

Default Stuck at the login screen

On Wed, Feb 2, 2011 at 12:30 PM, ray burke <rayburke30@gmail.com> wrote:
> Homer,
>
> how do input "ShaodwFB "True"" when you cant even get the system up as cant
> login?
>
> ray

Hi Ray,

The graphical login prompt would appear, and I could enter
username/password. It would then get about 2/3 of the way through the
login process, then go blank, then return back to the login screen.
Hence, I was "stuck" at the login screen. I exited to a shell from
the login screen (Ctrl-Alt-F1) and edited files that way. I didn't
have a menu option at the login screen to go to a shell as was
suggested. I'm guessing that is a configurable option.

Old 02-02-2011, 09:20 PM
James Tappin

On Wed, 2 Feb 2011 14:08:01 -0700
Homer <fsunoles@gmail.com> wrote:

H> The graphical login prompt would appear, and I could enter
H> username/password. It would then get about 2/3 of the way through
H> the login process, then go blank, then return back to the login
H> screen. Hence, I was "stuck" at the login screen. I exited to a
H> shell from the login screen (Ctrl-Alt-F1) and edited files that way.
H> I didn't have a menu option at the login screen to go to a shell as
H> was suggested. I'm guessing that is a configurable option.

I'm not sure if this has already been suggested. but /var/log/Xorg.0.log
may have information about what's actually failing.

Old 02-02-2011, 09:34 PM
Homer

On Wed, Feb 2, 2011 at 3:20 PM, James Tappin <sjt@star.sr.bham.ac.uk> wrote:
> On Wed, 2 Feb 2011 14:08:01 -0700
> Homer <fsunoles@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> H> The graphical login prompt would appear, and I could enter
> H> username/password. *It would then get about 2/3 of the way through
> H> the login process, then go blank, then return back to the login
> H> screen. Hence, I was "stuck" at the login screen. *I exited to a
> H> shell from the login screen (Ctrl-Alt-F1) and edited files that way.
> H> I didn't have a menu option at the login screen to go to a shell as
> H> was suggested. *I'm guessing that is a configurable option.
>
> I'm not sure if this has already been suggested. but /var/log/Xorg.0.log
> may have information about what's actually failing.

It might. I have previously posted a good bit of log info, but that
didn't yield much response. I started searching for strings I found
in log messages, and that is how I found the link I posted earlier
that pointed to a bug with the openchrome driver.

In the bug description I found the two workarounds I posted earlier.
I'm way more of a user than a programmer, so my effort pretty much
ended when I found a solution. Though admittedly it is not a fix, I
wanted to follow-up on my original post with a work around in case
someone else finds himself with the same issue.

Old 02-03-2011, 04:00 AM
ray burke

On Thu, Feb 3, 2011 at 8:08 AM, Homer <fsunoles@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 2, 2011 at 12:30 PM, ray burke <rayburke30@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Homer,
>>
>> how do input "ShaodwFB "True"" when you cant even get the system up as cant
>> login?
>>
>> ray
>
> Hi Ray,
>
> The graphical login prompt would appear, and I could enter
> username/password. *It would then get about 2/3 of the way through the
> login process, then go blank, then return back to the login screen.
> Hence, I was "stuck" at the login screen. *I exited to a shell from
> the login screen (Ctrl-Alt-F1) and edited files that way. *I didn't
> have a menu option at the login screen to go to a shell as was
> suggested. *I'm guessing that is a configurable option.

Homer,

I shall install K 10.10 on my spare 40gb ide drive and when I get to
the login screen that I
cant input on I will do the exited to a shell from
> the login screen (Ctrl-Alt-F1) and edited files that way. and see what happens?

thanks ray

Old 09-27-2011, 09:58 PM
ray burke

On Thu, Feb 3, 2011 at 4:00 PM, ray burke <rayburke30@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 3, 2011 at 8:08 AM, Homer <fsunoles@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Wed, Feb 2, 2011 at 12:30 PM, ray burke <rayburke30@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Homer,
>>>
>>> how do input "ShaodwFB "True"" when you cant even get the system up as cant
>>> login?
>>>
>>> ray
>>
>> Hi Ray,
>>
>> The graphical login prompt would appear, and I could enter
>> username/password. *It would then get about 2/3 of the way through the
>> login process, then go blank, then return back to the login screen.
>> Hence, I was "stuck" at the login screen. *I exited to a shell from
>> the login screen (Ctrl-Alt-F1) and edited files that way. *I didn't
>> have a menu option at the login screen to go to a shell as was
>> suggested. *I'm guessing that is a configurable option.
>>
>> --
>>

> Homer,
>
> I shall install K 10.10 on my spare 40gb ide drive and when I get to
> the login screen that I
> cant input on I will do the exited to a shell from
>> the login screen (Ctrl-Alt-F1) and edited files that way. * and see what happens?
>

> thanks ray

Homer,

Could you please email me the 2 workarounds to this problem as I am
going to do a new install to my
new dual core 1155 socket with 500gb sata drive and incase I cant
login like it happened to me before
when I installed the k10.10 to the computer I ran at the moment?

ray