Old 01-09-2011, 02:55 PM
Bruce Marshall

Default 1. 5. single user mode (Hans Henry von Tresckow), (Bruce Marshall)

On Sunday, January 09, 2011, Brian Wootton wrote:
> means that from boot-up the single user prompt comes on screen, I get
> as far as
> typing in a userid and a few characters of the relevant passwd then KDE
> blots this out with the 'windows' multi-login box, and I can only log
> in to the
> full multi-user OS
> I see no sign of a grub menu. Aside from this, does 'telinit 1' work on
> your 64 bit machine?

What you said above means you are NOT getting into single user mode... KDE
should not be started... (or kdm that is)

I'm not aware of the reason why you are not getting a grub menu but that would
be the first thing to look into.

Other than that, when the KDE password screen comes up (which really is KDM I
think) you should be able to press CTL-F2 (for example and get yourself to a
console screen... Which you can also do at any time while KDE is running.

Old 01-09-2011, 04:38 PM
Bruce Marshall

On Sunday, January 09, 2011, Brian Wootton wrote:
> It means that from boot-up the single user prompt comes on screen, I get
> as far as
> typing in a userid and a few characters of the relevant passwd then KDE
> blots this out with the 'windows' multi-login box, and I can only log
> in to the
> full multi-user OS
> I see no sign of a grub menu. Aside from this, does 'telinit 1' work on
> your 64 bit machine?
> brian

Don't know why you want to get into single user mode.... you might mention
that.

I just did the following:

booted
got the GRUB menu
did a normal boot
got to the KDM login screen
did a CTL-ALT-F2 (I think I told you CTL-F2)
got console login prompt
logged in as normal user
did: sudo telinit 1

As far as I could tell (there must be a way) I was at runlevel 1. KDM was no
longer running which is a good indication. Lots of msgs on the screen as to
things being shutdown, etc.

Should work.