Old 01-09-2011, 02:26 PM
Brian Wootton

Default 1. 5. single user mode (Hans Henry von Tresckow), (Bruce Marshall)

On 09/01/11 12:00, kubuntu-users-request@lists.ubuntu.com wrote:

On Saturday, January 08, 2011, Brian Wootton wrote:

> Tried both of these - no good - whatever should happen just gets
> trampled over by the
> full system boot into multi-user mode.
> All the manual entries say that 'telinit 1' is the way to do it, but
> all that does is bring up the
> KDE default login screen (with the dots in the middle) and sit there
> forever - maybe I should
> submit a bug report?
> I'm running on an amd 64bit based machine.

I'm running an AMD64 machine and haven't had any problems with that.

Are you getting a grub menu? Then either the recovery mode or using 'single'
or '1' on the kernel line of the boot should do it. I think something else
is happening on your machine when you say "it is overridden by the full boot'.

Don't know what that means.
It means that from boot-up the single user prompt comes on screen, I get
as far as

typing in a userid and a few characters of the relevant passwd then KDE
blots this out with the 'windows' multi-login box, and I can only log
in to the

full multi-user OS
I see no sign of a grub menu. Aside from this, does 'telinit 1' work on
your 64 bit machine?

brian