Old 01-08-2011, 10:42 AM
Brian Wootton

Default 5. single user mode (Hans Henry von Tresckow)

On 08/01/11 06:45, kubuntu-users-request@lists.ubuntu.com wrote:

Before I tear my remaining hair(s) out, does anybody know how to get
>> kubuntu 10.04 LTS into single user mode?
>> telinit 1 don't work, init 1 don't work and I've pretty well pushed the
>> shift keys out the bottom of the keyboard during a reboot, that don't work.
>> Googling for 'single user mode' and 'telinit 1' tells me that others have
>> experienced this problem but none of their solutions work for me.

> Have you tried esc?
>
> Or a combination of shift and esc?

I think esc during boot will bring up the grub menu. If you don't have
any "rescue" entries, just edit the comand line ('e') and add 'single'
to the end.

Tried both of these - no good - whatever should happen just gets
trampled over by the

full system boot into multi-user mode.
All the manual entries say that 'telinit 1' is the way to do it, but
all that does is bring up the
KDE default login screen (with the dots in the middle) and sit there
forever - maybe I should

submit a bug report?
I'm running on an amd 64bit based machine.
brian

Old 01-08-2011, 02:25 PM
Bruce Marshall

On Saturday, January 08, 2011, Brian Wootton wrote:
> Tried both of these - no good - whatever should happen just gets
> trampled over by the
> full system boot into multi-user mode.
> All the manual entries say that 'telinit 1' is the way to do it, but
> all that does is bring up the
> KDE default login screen (with the dots in the middle) and sit there
> forever - maybe I should
> submit a bug report?
> I'm running on an amd 64bit based machine.

I'm running an AMD64 machine and haven't had any problems with that.

Are you getting a grub menu? Then either the recovery mode or using 'single'
or '1' on the kernel line of the boot should do it. I think something else
is happening on your machine when you say "it is overridden by the full boot'.

Don't know what that means.