Old 01-07-2011, 10:40 AM
Brian Wootton

Default single user mode

Before I tear my remaining hair(s) out, does anybody know how to get
kubuntu 10.04 LTS into single user mode?
telinit 1 don't work, init 1 don't work and I've pretty well pushed the
shift keys out the bottom of the keyboard during a reboot, that don't work.
Googling for 'single user mode' and 'telinit 1' tells me that others have
experienced this problem but none of their solutions work for me.
Any pointers appreciated ta.
brian

Old 01-07-2011, 01:43 PM
Tom H

On Fri, Jan 7, 2011 at 6:40 AM, Brian Wootton <Brian.Meg@btinternet.com> wrote:

> Before I tear my remaining hair(s) out, does anybody know how to get
> kubuntu 10.04 LTS into single user mode?
> *telinit 1 don't work, init 1 don't work and I've pretty well pushed the
> shift keys out the bottom of the keyboard during a reboot, that don't work.
> *Googling for 'single user mode' and 'telinit 1' tells me that others have
> experienced this problem but none of their solutions work for me.

Have you tried esc?

Or a combination of shift and esc?

Old 01-07-2011, 09:07 PM
Hans Henry von Tresckow

On Fri, Jan 7, 2011 at 6:43 AM, Tom H <tomh0665@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 7, 2011 at 6:40 AM, Brian Wootton <Brian.Meg@btinternet.com> wrote:
>>
>> Before I tear my remaining hair(s) out, does anybody know how to get
>> kubuntu 10.04 LTS into single user mode?
>> *telinit 1 don't work, init 1 don't work and I've pretty well pushed the
>> shift keys out the bottom of the keyboard during a reboot, that don't work.
>> *Googling for 'single user mode' and 'telinit 1' tells me that others have
>> experienced this problem but none of their solutions work for me.
>
> Have you tried esc?
>
> Or a combination of shift and esc?

I think esc during boot will bring up the grub menu. If you don't have
any "rescue" entries, just edit the comand line ('e') and add 'single'
to the end.

--
Henry von Tresckow (hvontres)