Old 01-07-2011, 05:22 AM
"O. Sinclair"

Default wifi hotspot problem w Maverick

Running 10.10 I have a, to me, new problem with connecting to a wifi
hotspot system that have worked in earlier versions.

I connect to the unsecured router w/o problems. Normally you then open a
browser, try to go to any site and gets redirected to a login page from
the provider. This worked in 9.10 and 10.04, though come to think of it
I had another computer last time I was here.

In any case it works in Windows 7 with same computer and wifichips
(Broadcomm, sadly). In Kubuntu I connect, try to open a page and it
hangs nicely on "looking up whatever.com". No activity on the network
can be seen, nothing in logs. Have tried using Networkmanager and Wicd,
no difference.

Anyone has any idea, this is quite annoying.

Kind regards,
Sinclair

Old 01-07-2011, 07:32 AM
Tom H

On Fri, Jan 7, 2011 at 1:22 AM, O. Sinclair <o.sinclair@gmail.com> wrote:

> Running 10.10 I have a, to me, new problem with connecting to a wifi hotspot
> system that have worked in earlier versions.
>
> I connect to the unsecured router w/o problems. Normally you then open a
> browser, try to go to any site and gets redirected to a login page from the
> provider. This worked in 9.10 and 10.04, though come to think of it I had
> another computer last time I was here.
>
> In any case it works in Windows 7 with same computer and wifichips
> (Broadcomm, sadly). In Kubuntu I connect, try to open a page and it hangs
> nicely on "looking up whatever.com". No activity on the network can be seen,
> nothing in logs. Have tried using Networkmanager and Wicd, no difference.

Are you using the hotspot's DNS server(s)?

Old 01-07-2011, 07:41 AM
"O. Sinclair"

Running 10.10 I have a, to me, new problem with connecting to a wifi hotspot
system that have worked in earlier versions.

I connect to the unsecured router w/o problems. Normally you then open a
browser, try to go to any site and gets redirected to a login page from the
provider. This worked in 9.10 and 10.04, though come to think of it I had
another computer last time I was here.

In any case it works in Windows 7 with same computer and wifichips
(Broadcomm, sadly). In Kubuntu I connect, try to open a page and it hangs
nicely on "looking up whatever.com". No activity on the network can be seen,
nothing in logs. Have tried using Networkmanager and Wicd, no difference.

Are you using the hotspot's DNS server(s)?

yes, they get set when I connect

Old 01-07-2011, 12:10 PM
Brian Wootton

On 07/01/11 12:00, kubuntu-users-request@lists.ubuntu.com wrote:

> Running 10.10 I have a, to me, new problem with connecting to a wifi hotspot
> system that have worked in earlier versions.
>
> I connect to the unsecured router w/o problems. Normally you then open a
> browser, try to go to any site and gets redirected to a login page from the
> provider. This worked in 9.10 and 10.04, though come to think of it I had
> another computer last time I was here.
>
> In any case it works in Windows 7 with same computer and wifichips
> (Broadcomm, sadly). In Kubuntu I connect, try to open a page and it hangs
> nicely on "looking up whatever.com". No activity on the network can be seen,
> nothing in logs. Have tried using Networkmanager and Wicd, no difference.

Are you using the hotspot's DNS server(s)?

and what have you got in /etc/resolv.conf?

Old 01-07-2011, 12:36 PM
"O. Sinclair"

On 07/01/2011 15:10, Brian Wootton wrote:

On 07/01/11 12:00, kubuntu-users-request@lists.ubuntu.com wrote:

> Running 10.10 I have a, to me, new problem with connecting to a
wifi hotspot
> system that have worked in earlier versions.
>
> I connect to the unsecured router w/o problems. Normally you then
open a
> browser, try to go to any site and gets redirected to a login page
from the
> provider. This worked in 9.10 and 10.04, though come to think of it
I had
> another computer last time I was here.
>
> In any case it works in Windows 7 with same computer and wifichips
> (Broadcomm, sadly). In Kubuntu I connect, try to open a page and it
hangs
> nicely on "looking up whatever.com". No activity on the network can
be seen,
> nothing in logs. Have tried using Networkmanager and Wicd, no
difference.

Are you using the hotspot's DNS server(s)?

and what have you got in /etc/resolv.conf?

well, I am not there at the moment but it does list the nameservers I
can see on the Windows side when I am connected.

Old 01-07-2011, 01:36 PM
Tom H

On Fri, Jan 7, 2011 at 3:41 AM, O. Sinclair <o.sinclair@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 07/01/2011 10:32, Tom H wrote:
>> On Fri, Jan 7, 2011 at 1:22 AM, O. Sinclair<o.sinclair@gmail.com> *wrote:
>>>
>>> Running 10.10 I have a, to me, new problem with connecting to a wifi
>>> hotspot system that have worked in earlier versions.
>>>
>>> I connect to the unsecured router w/o problems. Normally you then open a
>>> browser, try to go to any site and gets redirected to a login page from
>>> the
>>> provider. This worked in 9.10 and 10.04, though come to think of it I had
>>> another computer last time I was here.
>>>
>>> In any case it works in Windows 7 with same computer and wifichips
>>> (Broadcomm, sadly). In Kubuntu I connect, try to open a page and it hangs
>>> nicely on "looking up whatever.com". No activity on the network can be
>>> seen, nothing in logs. Have tried using Networkmanager and Wicd, no
>>> difference.
>>
>> Are you using the hotspot's DNS server(s)?
>>
> yes, they get set when I connect

Can you ping or traceroute to the hotspot's DHCP and DNS servers?

If you know the login page's url, can you access it with
"http://ip_address/..."?

Old 01-07-2011, 01:57 PM
"O. Sinclair"

[...]

I can ping the dhcp but not anything outside the LAN address segment. I
can not nslookup, traceroute or go direct to any "http://...."

Old 01-07-2011, 01:59 PM
"O. Sinclair"

[...]

sorry clarification:
I can ping and traceroute inside the LAN address segment but no
nslookup. Anything outside LAN segment does not work be it ping,
traceroute, nslookup etc etc

Old 01-07-2011, 02:24 PM
Tom H

On Fri, Jan 7, 2011 at 9:57 AM, O. Sinclair <o.sinclair@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 07/01/2011 16:36, Tom H wrote:

>>> yes, they get set when I connect
>>
>> Can you ping or traceroute to the hotspot's DHCP and DNS servers?
>>
>> If you know the login page's url, can you access it with
>> "http://ip_address/..."?
>>
> I can ping the dhcp but not anything outside the LAN address segment. I can
> not nslookup, traceroute or go direct to any "http://...."

Can anyone else use the hotspot?!

Does "netstat -r" show that you have a gateway?

Check the DNS servers in your DHCP lease file (hopefully they're the
same as in "/etc/resolv.conf") and "dig @..." for a well-known site.

Old 01-07-2011, 02:42 PM
"O. Sinclair"

[...]

well it works for me when I boot in Windows.. will see what netstat can
give me later when i am back on site