Old 01-04-2011, 01:49 PM
gene heskett

Default wap11 question

Greetings all;

I am trying to make use of an elderly wap11 access point here, whose
default iP has been changed and it cannot now be found, probably because it
is on a different block of 192.168.x.x subnet addresses.

This device also has a usb port and supposedly can be administered over a
usb connection. However, it will not enumerate a connection even when
plugged directly into a motherboard breakout port.

Am I missing a required module for this sort of thing in my custom 2.6.37-
rc8 kernel build?

Thanks everybody.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

Old 01-04-2011, 02:19 PM
Bruce Marshall

On Tuesday, January 04, 2011, gene heskett wrote:
> Greetings all;
>
> I am trying to make use of an elderly wap11 access point here, whose
> default iP has been changed and it cannot now be found, probably because it
> is on a different block of 192.168.x.x subnet addresses.
>
> This device also has a usb port and supposedly can be administered over a
> usb connection. However, it will not enumerate a connection even when
> plugged directly into a motherboard breakout port.

Can you do a factory reset?? Usually a button push? That would probably put
it back to 192.168.1.1

The USB port is probably for external storage. I just installed a Netgear
router which has the same setup for USB.

Old 01-04-2011, 07:36 PM
gene heskett

On Tuesday, January 04, 2011 02:51:18 pm Bruce Marshall did opine:

> On Tuesday, January 04, 2011, gene heskett wrote:
> > Greetings all;
> >
> > I am trying to make use of an elderly wap11 access point here, whose
> > default iP has been changed and it cannot now be found, probably
> > because it is on a different block of 192.168.x.x subnet addresses.
> >
> > This device also has a usb port and supposedly can be administered
> > over a usb connection. However, it will not enumerate a connection
> > even when plugged directly into a motherboard breakout port.
>
> Can you do a factory reset?? Usually a button push? That would
> probably put it back to 192.168.1.1

This one has been opened up and well searched with no luck. And of course
the ethernet snmp tool, wap11-gui, has not been buildable on linux since
2.6.24, wayyyy back up the log from 2011. I just did find a quad of pads
to mount a teeny pushbutton to, labeled S901. If the switch was installed,
its operating stem would stick out, presumably flush, with a hole in the
back edge of the pan, centered between the power socket and the usb port.
The hole of course has not been drilled.

This ones PCB is marked as "wireless AP, rev 3A1 5/18/2001".

I have downloaded the wap11 user manual from the linksys site, and will see
if what I see makes sense while reading that.

> The USB port is probably for external storage. I just installed a
> Netgear router which has the same setup for USB.

According to the manual, the part I did read, windows has a tool to admin
it over a usb circuit. And its default ip is 291.168.1.250 or some such if
I read that right.

OTOH, I might be time ahead to go see what I can find for an AP at Staples
etc.

Thanks, a lot.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

Old 01-04-2011, 07:55 PM
Bruce Marshall

On Tuesday, January 04, 2011, gene heskett wrote:
> s one has been opened up and well searched with no luck. And of course
> the ethernet snmp tool, wap11-gui, has not been buildable on linux since
> 2.6.24, wayyyy back up the log from 2011. I just did find a quad of pads
> to mount a teeny pushbutton to, labeled S901. If the switch was
> installed, its operating stem would stick out, presumably flush, with a
> hole in the back edge of the pan, centered between the power socket and
> the usb port. The hole of course has not been drilled.

I guess the only other trick I can think of is to hold the xxxxx button while
plugging the power in. Where xxxx would be an ON button or anything else
that might fit.

But the Users guide should tell you that.

Old 01-04-2011, 11:24 PM
gene heskett

On Tuesday, January 04, 2011 07:15:06 pm Bruce Marshall did opine:

> On Tuesday, January 04, 2011, gene heskett wrote:
> > Greetings all;
> >
> > I am trying to make use of an elderly wap11 access point here, whose
> > default iP has been changed and it cannot now be found, probably
> > because it is on a different block of 192.168.x.x subnet addresses.
> >
> > This device also has a usb port and supposedly can be administered
> > over a usb connection. However, it will not enumerate a connection
> > even when plugged directly into a motherboard breakout port.
>
> Can you do a factory reset?? Usually a button push? That would
> probably put it back to 192.168.1.1
>
> The USB port is probably for external storage. I just installed a
> Netgear router which has the same setup for USB.

I finally did get into it with 'wap11gui' after succeeding in getting it to
build, after trying to do a reset that apparently failed, because it
remembered everything but the wep keys I had stored it it, _or_ it defaults
to showing them as "all balls". Their printed out & hanging on the wall
here anyway because the lappy has yet to remember that over a reboot.
Paranoid POS that thing is. It doesn't even trust itself at times. ;-)

So now I need to drag my lappy back out of the case & see if I can get it
to connect. It has a bcm4318 card in it, and ALL bets are off where that
POS is concerned.

Thanks Bruce.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

Old 01-04-2011, 11:31 PM
gene heskett

On Tuesday, January 04, 2011 07:24:46 pm Bruce Marshall did opine:

> On Tuesday, January 04, 2011, gene heskett wrote:
> > s one has been opened up and well searched with no luck. And of
> > course the ethernet snmp tool, wap11-gui, has not been buildable on
> > linux since 2.6.24, wayyyy back up the log from 2011. I just did
> > find a quad of pads to mount a teeny pushbutton to, labeled S901. If
> > the switch was installed, its operating stem would stick out,
> > presumably flush, with a hole in the back edge of the pan, centered
> > between the power socket and the usb port. The hole of course has not
> > been drilled.
>
> I guess the only other trick I can think of is to hold the xxxxx button
> while plugging the power in. Where xxxx would be an ON button or
> anything else that might fit.
>
> But the Users guide should tell you that.

The users guide is for a much newer model, this one is the old cream/grey
cow patties with a couple of sticks on the back of it. No resemblance to
the modern blue/black linksys stuff.

The guides rear panel also has no place for a reset button. So if you've
lost its address and password, tough. Then its a frisbee, but at the age
of the plastic case, a fragile one...

Thanks Bruce.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

Two. One to change it and one not to change it.

Old 01-05-2011, 04:06 PM
Brian Wootton

On 05/01/11 12:00, kubuntu-users-request@lists.ubuntu.com wrote:

s one has been opened up and well searched with no luck. And of
> > course the ethernet snmp tool, wap11-gui, has not been buildable on
> > linux since 2.6.24, wayyyy back up the log from 2011. I just did
> > find a quad of pads to mount a teeny pushbutton to, labeled S901. If
> > the switch was installed, its operating stem would stick out,
> > presumably flush, with a hole in the back edge of the pan, centered
> > between the power socket and the usb port. The hole of course has not
> > been drilled.
>
> I guess the only other trick I can think of is to hold the xxxxx button

> while plugging the power in. Where xxxx would be an ON button or
> anything else that might fit.
>
> But the Users guide should tell you that.

The users guide is for a much newer model, this one is the old cream/grey
cow patties with a couple of sticks on the back of it. No resemblance to
the modern blue/black linksys stuff.

The guides rear panel also has no place for a reset button. So if you've
lost its address and password, tough. Then its a frisbee, but at the age
of the plastic case, a fragile one...

Thanks Bruce.

I don't see any mention of it but I presume it has an ethernet RJ45
socket and you have tried
connecting to it(the 'router') via that, you don't say what network app.
you are using or
what OS either as far as I can read. If it will connect with 'loop-back'
you should be able
to find it's local ip address fairly easily with 'less
/etc/resolv.conf' - nameserver.

brian

Old 01-05-2011, 05:13 PM
gene heskett

On Wednesday, January 05, 2011 01:10:18 pm Brian Wootton did opine:

> > The users guide is for a much newer model, this one is the old
> > cream/grey cow patties with a couple of sticks on the back of it. No
> > resemblance to the modern blue/black linksys stuff.
> >
> > The guides rear panel also has no place for a reset button. So if
> > you've lost its address and password, tough. Then its a frisbee, but
> > at the age of the plastic case, a fragile one...
> >
> > Thanks Bruce.
>
> I don't see any mention of it but I presume it has an ethernet RJ45
> socket and you have tried
> connecting to it(the 'router') via that, you don't say what network app.
> you are using or
> what OS either as far as I can read. If it will connect with 'loop-back'
> you should be able
> to find it's local ip address fairly easily with 'less
> /etc/resolv.conf' - nameserver.
> brian

I found its ip, and it still retained all the settings from 3 years ago
when I stuck it in a drawer because it only uses 128 bit max, wep. I
haven't pulled the laptop out yet, been fighting with an NVIDIA non-install
problem. It's sorted now else I wouldn't be posting from this machine. ;-)

Many Thanks.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)