Old 01-04-2011, 10:24 AM
Bas Roufs

Default How to back-up my mobile phone address book via Bluetooth or otherwise?

Hello everybody

At present I still do not manage to copy the phone numbers and
addresses from my mobile to my laptop via an external usb Bluethooth
dongle. On the other hand, the typical KDE package "Bluedevil" DOES
correctly recognise my mobile phone Samsung J700i. Inversely, my
mobile does correctly recognise my laptop and asks for permission to
exchange data with it. Moreover, I am even able to remotely browse
through the folders of the of the memory card from my laptop: an Asus
1001HA with Kubuntu 10.10 and Win 7 dual boot. When typing "lsusb" in
Konsole, the dongle is being identified as follows:
ID 0a12:0001 Cambridge Silicon Radio, Ltd Bluetooth Dongle (HCI mode).
I even do manage to transfer files between the laptop and memory card
in the phone or vice versa and to carry out other actions via Dolphin
at the laptop. But the problem is that the file with phone numbers and
addresses is at some chip inside the phone. The software inside the
phone contains a menu aimed at sending the contact data from my "phone
book" via Bluetooth to other Bluetooth devices. But each attempt to so
failed so far. Also attempts to back-up the address book at the memory
card of my mobile do not work. Inversely, I do not manage to access
the phone book from my laptop: not via Bluetooth, also not via a USB
cable between phone and laptop. The only part of the phone I can
access in both ways is the memory card. Instructions I have seen so
far at Kubuntu forums do not help me to solve the problem. Does
anybody have a clue?

Thanks, respectfully yours,

Bas.

Old 01-04-2011, 11:38 AM
"O. Sinclair"

[...]

The only application I am aware of that works reasonably ok with mobile
phones, linux and bluetooth/usb is Wammu. It is in the repos and there
is also a PPA for it I believe.

Regards
Sinclair

Old 01-04-2011, 01:50 PM
Bas Roufs

Hello Sinclair and Everybody.

Thanks for your reply, Sinclair, to this question.

>> At present I still do not manage to copy the phone numbers and
>> addresses from my mobile to my laptop via an external usb Bluethooth
>> dongle.

A few minutes ago, I tried to carry out your suggestion:
> The only application I am aware of that works reasonably ok with mobile
> phones, linux and bluetooth/usb is Wammu. It is in the repos and there is
> also a PPA for it I believe.

Via the regular repos, I have installed Wammu and dependencies. But
the result is the same: communication with the phone via the USB
dongle, but still no access to the address book. A feed back I get
when trying to retrieve my phone book contacts via the laptop, is
something like "your phone does not support this function". A more
detailed debugging report you can find via this link:
http://rainbowgathering.eu/wammu.pdf

When trying to export the contacts from the phone via bluetooth to the
laptop, I get again a feedback like "failed connection". The software
in my mobile does not deliver any debugging report :-)

Any other suggestion: either via Wammu or via BlueDevil or via any
other package and method?
Thanks, respectfully yours,

Bas.

Old 01-07-2011, 02:00 PM
"O. Sinclair"

[...]

Have you tried connecting the phone using the 2 different "languages"
suggested by Wammu?

Did you also try usb cable (if you have a such to your phone)? In my
experience this still works better than bluetooth in many cases.

Old 01-07-2011, 04:46 PM
Bas Roufs

Hello Sinclair and Everybody

>> Via the regular repos, I have installed Wammu and dependencies.....

> Have you tried connecting the phone using the 2 different "languages" suggested by Wammu?
So far, not. Pls. briefly explain how exactly to find those languanges
and how to activate them.

> Did you also try usb cable (if you have a such to your phone)? In my experience this still
> works better than bluetooth in many cases.

I do have such a cable, so I have tried it also via that way. The
result is still exactly the same: connection with the phone, but still
no possiblity to retrieve the address book.

Any other clue?

Thanks, respectfully yours,

Bas.

Old 01-08-2011, 05:47 AM
"O. Sinclair"

On 07/01/2011 19:46, Bas Roufs wrote:

Hello Sinclair and Everybody

At present I still do not manage to copy the phone numbers and
addresses from my mobile to my laptop via an external usb Bluethooth
dongle.

Via the regular repos, I have installed Wammu and dependencies.....

Have you tried connecting the phone using the 2 different "languages" suggested by Wammu?

So far, not. Pls. briefly explain how exactly to find those languanges
and how to activate them.

Did you also try usb cable (if you have a such to your phone)? In my experience this still
works better than bluetooth in many cases.

I do have such a cable, so I have tried it also via that way. The
result is still exactly the same: connection with the phone, but still
no possiblity to retrieve the address book.

Any other clue?

Sorry Baas, I am very far from home at the moment and my normal
connections. Once back I will go through the procedure and see if I can
explain better.

Sinclair