Old 12-29-2010, 05:33 PM
Bas Roufs

Default Kubuntu Maverick: how to disable there the touchpad while typing?

Hello Everybody

In a few preceding editions of Kubuntu, I used a simple, but effective graphical tool to disable the touchpad while typing: "Touchfreeze". I I refer to the touchpad at an Asus 1001 HA netbook with, at present, Kubuntu 10.10 and Win7 dual boot. In previous editions of Kubuntu, a few mouse clicks were enough to enable or disable the touchpad via "Touchfreeze". Now, I even cannot find this package any more in the repository. Also in the newest version of the "Synaptics Touchpad" community documentation, I cannot find it any more: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SynapticsTouchpad

In theory, I still can use syndaemon for the same purpose, but this app is a bit complicated and cumbersome. That's why I have been looking to the following option:
K-menu > System Settings > Input devices > touchpad.

Initially, this menu did not work at all. But after using the Konsole commands "xinput list" and "syndaemon", the touchpad menu started identifying the touchpad and working with it
So far, I found there only a way to TOTALLY disable or enable the touchpad. But this is not what I am looking for.

Additionally, I have chosen the lowest possible "touch sensitivity". However, this did not solve the problem sufficiently. Still e.g. the K-Menu or the Quick Access Browser suddenly and uncontrollably pop up -e.g. while typing this message via Firefox. Also when working with OpenOffice or other packages, I experience similar problems.* Do you have any clue how to deal with this problem in a way similar to the one of "Touchfreeze"?

Thanks for replying.
Bas Roufs.

Old 12-29-2010, 11:38 PM
Doug

On 12/29/2010 01:33 PM, Bas Roufs wrote:
> Hello Everybody
>
> In a few preceding editions of Kubuntu, I used a simple, but effective
> graphical tool to disable the touchpad while typing: "Touchfreeze". I
> I refer to the touchpad at an Asus 1001 HA netbook with, at present,
> Kubuntu 10.10 and Win7 dual boot. In previous editions of Kubuntu, a
> few mouse clicks were enough to enable or disable the touchpad via
> "Touchfreeze". Now, I even cannot find this package any more in the
> repository. Also in the newest version of the "Synaptics Touchpad"
> community documentation, I cannot find it any more:
> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SynapticsTouchpad
> In theory, I still can use syndaemon for the same purpose, but this
> app is a bit complicated and cumbersome. That's why I have been
> looking to the following option:
> K-menu > System Settings > Input devices > touchpad.
> Initially, this menu did not work at all. But after using the Konsole
> commands "xinput list" and "syndaemon", the touchpad menu started
> identifying the touchpad and working with it
> So far, I found there only a way to TOTALLY disable or enable the
> touchpad. But this is not what I am looking for.
> Additionally, I have chosen the lowest possible "touch sensitivity".
> However, this did not solve the problem sufficiently. Still e.g. the
> K-Menu or the Quick Access Browser suddenly and uncontrollably pop up
> -e.g. while typing this message via Firefox. Also when working with
> OpenOffice or other packages, I experience similar problems. Do you
> have any clue how to deal with this problem in a way similar to the
> one of "Touchfreeze"?
>
> Thanks for replying.
> Bas Roufs.
If you are using the KDE version of Kubuntu, you should have access to
Synaptiks--note the last few letters. This works
perfectly on a Dell with PCLOS. Unfortunately, I have never found a
usable program for Gnome type Linuxes.

--doug

Old 12-30-2010, 11:21 AM
Bas Roufs

Hello Doug and Everybody

Yesterday I told you about my research for a " graphical tool to
disable the touchpad while typing (...) at an Asus 1001 HA netbook
with, at present Kubuntu 10.10 and Win7 dual boot"

You replied as follows:
> If you are using the KDE version of Kubuntu, you should have access to
> Synaptiks--note the last few letters.

By the way, what do you mean with "note the last few letters"?

Howver it may be, I do have Kubuntu 10.10, including KDE 4.5.1. That's
why I have taken a look at "Synaptiks". But when trying to install it,
I get the following feedback:
"The following changes are required in order to proceed. To be removed:
kcm-touchpad
kde-config-touchpad."

For the time being, I have cancelled the operation and taken a look at
the 2 already installed packages mentioned above. "kcm-touchpad" seems
to be a transitional package that can safely be removed. However,
"kde-config-touchpad" is the package that is supposed to have the
function I am looking for. According to the info I can find via a
package manager, kde-config-touchpad
(...) is a configuration module for System Settings for configuring laptop
touchpads. With it the user can configure sensitivity, scrolling settings,
as well as enable "Smart Mode", which disables the touchpad while typing (...)"
This package is apparently the one I mentioned in my previous message:
K-menu > System Settings > Hardware > Input Devices > Touchpad.
However, it is not obvious where exactly I can find the "Smart mode"
which disables the touchpad while typing: is it the option General >
"touchpad off" + "allow moving"?

Thanks for replying, respectfully yours,

Bas.

Old 12-30-2010, 04:17 PM
Doug

On 12/30/2010 07:21 AM, Bas Roufs wrote:
> Hello Doug and Everybody
>
> Yesterday I told you about my research for a " graphical tool to
> disable the touchpad while typing (...) at an Asus 1001 HA netbook
> with, at present Kubuntu 10.10 and Win7 dual boot"
>
> You replied as follows:
>> If you are using the KDE version of Kubuntu, you should have access to
>> Synaptiks--note the last few letters.
> By the way, what do you mean with "note the last few letters"?

Synaptiks, as contrasted with Synaptic, the people who wrote the
touchpad code, I think, as well as the package manager for PCLOS
and perhaps some other distros.
> Howver it may be, I do have Kubuntu 10.10, including KDE 4.5.1. That's
> why I have taken a look at "Synaptiks". But when trying to install it,
> I get the following feedback:
> "The following changes are required in order to proceed. To be removed:
> kcm-touchpad
> kde-config-touchpad."
>
> For the time being, I have cancelled the operation and taken a look at
> the 2 already installed packages mentioned above. "kcm-touchpad" seems
> to be a transitional package that can safely be removed. However,
> "kde-config-touchpad" is the package that is supposed to have the
> function I am looking for. According to the info I can find via a
> package manager, kde-config-touchpad
> (...) is a configuration module for System Settings for configuring laptop
> touchpads. With it the user can configure sensitivity, scrolling settings,
> as well as enable "Smart Mode", which disables the touchpad while typing (...)"
> This package is apparently the one I mentioned in my previous message:
> K-menu> System Settings> Hardware> Input Devices> Touchpad.
> However, it is not obvious where exactly I can find the "Smart mode"
> which disables the touchpad while typing: is it the option General>
> "touchpad off" + "allow moving"?
>
> Thanks for replying, respectfully yours,
>
> Bas.

What I think you want to do is disable the touchpad altogether when you
have
an external pointing device (mouse or trackball) plugged into a usb port.
That's what Synaptiks does. The other gadget that only disables the
touchpad
while you are typing, I found to be a PITA, since it has very little
delay between
the time you take your finger off a key until the pad starts moving the
cursor
again. In other words, AFAIC, it really doesn't do the job that needs
done.
But if you don't use an external mouse or ball, I guess you're stuck
with the
"disable while typing" arrangement. Maybe there's a way to lengthen the
delay to a good fraction of a second, rather than the few milliseconds
it seems
to have now.

--doug