Old 12-29-2010, 04:53 PM
"D. R. Evans"

Default Meaning of "This file uses advanced permissions"?

I have been experiencing a strange problem with amarok for perhaps the last
six months: a few files don't play properly (they used to play fine), and
cause amarok to skip some number of items on the playlist, including the
file in question.

For a long time I couldn't see anything different about the files that were
causing this to happen, but I now see that when I look at the properties of
the files they all say "This file uses advanced permissions". And yet when
I look at what permissions are actually set, it is the usual: "-rwxr--r--",
no different (as far as I can see) from other files that don't claim to be
using advanced file permissions. Simnilarly, lsattr just gives
"-------------------": nothing special there.

I could (presumably) fix this by explicitly running a recursive chmod over
the entire hierarchy of music files, but before I try that I would like to
try to understand what is going on.

Googling wasn't much help, at least using the search terms I tried.

So I think my question is: what does the message "This file uses advanced
permissions" actually mean?

And probably a second question is: in Kubuntu what is the right way to turn
off advanced file permissions for a file, other than running an explicit
command-line chmod (I'm assuming that will work)? The dialogue boxes don't
seem to offer that capability.

FWIW, I have no idea why these files are different from all the others that
work fine, nor why amarok seems to have a bit of a fit when it tries to
play them, now why the behaviour of amarok is different from what it used
to be, but those are all secondary questions; really I'd just like to
understand what's special about these files, especially since "ls -al" and
"lsattr" don't seem to show show anything different about them.

Doc

--
Web: http://www.sff.net/people/N7DR