Old 12-27-2010, 01:36 PM
Clemens Eisserer

Default Howto create bootable usb-stick without an ubuntu installation?

Hi,

I would like to install kubuntu on my laptop which doesn't have a
working CD drive.

I found a tutorial in the wiki which explains creating a bootable usb
stick using a program called "usb-creator", however its not available
on fedora, and is also missing on the lubuntu live-cd.

Is there a manual way to create a live usb stick?

Thank you in advance, Clemens

Old 12-27-2010, 01:42 PM
pierre jocelyn andre

Look here http://www.pendrivelinux.com/boot-multiple-iso-from-usb-multiboot-usb/
pendrivelinux donne une des nombreuses solutions

Old 12-27-2010, 02:04 PM
Clemens Eisserer

Hi,

> Look here
> http://www.pendrivelinux.com/boot-multiple-iso-from-usb-multiboot-usb/

The tool looks great, unfourtunatly it seems to be windows only, and I
don't have a windows box at my disposal.

- Clemens

Old 12-27-2010, 02:11 PM
Waleed Hamra

On 12/27/2010 04:36 PM, Clemens Eisserer wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I would like to install kubuntu on my laptop which doesn't have a
> working CD drive.
>
> I found a tutorial in the wiki which explains creating a bootable usb
> stick using a program called "usb-creator", however its not available
> on fedora, and is also missing on the lubuntu live-cd.
>
> Is there a manual way to create a live usb stick?
>
> Thank you in advance, Clemens

how about installing usb creator on the Live CD run?

while in the Live CD, open a terminal and type:

sudo apt-get usb-creator-kde

this should install it fine, after that create your CD.
but i have no idea if this can be done when the CD is being actively
used, but worth a shot.

--
Waleed K. Hamra
Manager of Hamra Information Systems

Old 12-27-2010, 02:48 PM
"Alan Dacey Sr."

On Monday, December 27, 2010 10:11:33 am Waleed Hamra wrote:
> On 12/27/2010 04:36 PM, Clemens Eisserer wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I would like to install kubuntu on my laptop which doesn't have a
> > working CD drive.
> >
> > I found a tutorial in the wiki which explains creating a bootable usb
> > stick using a program called "usb-creator", however its not available
> > on fedora, and is also missing on the lubuntu live-cd.
> >
> > Is there a manual way to create a live usb stick?
> >
> > Thank you in advance, Clemens
> >

> how about installing usb creator on the Live CD run?
>
> while in the Live CD, open a terminal and type:
>
> sudo apt-get usb-creator-kde
>
> this should install it fine, after that create your CD.
> but i have no idea if this can be done when the CD is being actively
> used, but worth a shot.
>
> --
> Waleed K. Hamra
> Manager of Hamra Information Systems

It works if you use an iso file to burn on to the usb stick. When you're
using a live cd the cd drive is locked up with the pseudo-OS. If you have
two cd drives in your machine then you can use the other one if you only
have a disk to copy from. The usb creator seems to only work with an
Ubuntu OS, at least I've never had any luck with anything else.
There is a way to it manually. I think it involves copying the iso to the usb
using the dd command then making the usb stick as a bootable device.
I haven't used this method though.

More info:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Live_USB#Principle_of_installation
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/How_to_create_and_use_Fedora_Live_CD

Alan

Old 12-27-2010, 02:59 PM
Yorvyk

http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/ Runs on both Windows and Linux and will do what you require. If you look around http://www.pendrivelinux.com as well there are all many of instructions for differing setups.

--
Steve Cook (Yorvyk)

http://lubuntu.net

Old 12-27-2010, 03:08 PM
Bruce Marshall

On Monday, December 27, 2010, Clemens Eisserer wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I would like to install kubuntu on my laptop which doesn't have a
> working CD drive.
>
> I found a tutorial in the wiki which explains creating a bootable usb
> stick using a program called "usb-creator", however its not available
> on fedora, and is also missing on the lubuntu live-cd.
>
> Is there a manual way to create a live usb stick?
>
> Thank you in advance, Clemens

I use a program called Unetbootin. Maybe that is available on fedora.

Old 12-27-2010, 03:37 PM
"Goh Lip"

On Mon, 27 Dec 2010 22:36:07 +0800, Clemens Eisserer
<linuxhippy@gmail.com> wrote:

> Is there a manual way to create a live usb stick?

Clemens, you did not say what OS you have in the labtop, other than it's
not windows. If you have a linux with a grub2 there, you can boot up the
iso file at your labtop using grub2 looping and installing it at another
partition there.

Or use grub2 menu from a Lubuntu usb stick and use the iso file from
another usb stick to install.

Regards - Goh Lip

Old 12-27-2010, 03:43 PM
Nigel Ridley

On 12/27/2010 05:48 PM, Alan Dacey Sr. wrote:
> On Monday, December 27, 2010 10:11:33 am Waleed Hamra wrote:
>> On 12/27/2010 04:36 PM, Clemens Eisserer wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I would like to install kubuntu on my laptop which doesn't have a
>>> working CD drive.
>>>
>>> I found a tutorial in the wiki which explains creating a bootable usb
>>> stick using a program called "usb-creator", however its not available
>>> on fedora, and is also missing on the lubuntu live-cd.
>>>
>>> Is there a manual way to create a live usb stick?
>>>
>>> Thank you in advance, Clemens
>>>

>> how about installing usb creator on the Live CD run?
>>
>> while in the Live CD, open a terminal and type:
>>
>> sudo apt-get usb-creator-kde
>>
>> this should install it fine, after that create your CD.
>> but i have no idea if this can be done when the CD is being actively
>> used, but worth a shot.
>>
>> --
>> Waleed K. Hamra
>> Manager of Hamra Information Systems
>>

> It works if you use an iso file to burn on to the usb stick. When you're
> using a live cd the cd drive is locked up with the pseudo-OS. If you have
> two cd drives in your machine then you can use the other one if you only
> have a disk to copy from. The usb creator seems to only work with an
> Ubuntu OS, at least I've never had any luck with anything else.
> There is a way to it manually. I think it involves copying the iso to the usb
> using the dd command then making the usb stick as a bootable device.
> I haven't used this method though.
>

> More info:
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Live_USB#Principle_of_installation
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/How_to_create_and_use_Fedora_Live_CD
>

> Alan

For a manual install have a look at this (it's a long url so it's probably wrapped):
http://wiki.geteasypeasy.com/Install:_from_a_Live_Ubuntu_image_on_a_USB_stick#H ow_to_configure_a_USB_stick_manually

Nigel

Old 12-28-2010, 12:05 AM
Clemens Eisserer

Hi,

> I use a program called *Unetbootin. *Maybe that is available on fedora.

Yes, its available and did the trick.
Thanks a lot

- Clemens