Old 12-26-2010, 03:46 PM
"Alan Dacey Sr."

Default Advice on a Gigabook netbook

On Sunday, December 26, 2010 11:18:29 am Nigel Ridley wrote:
> I'm looking for a 10 inch netbook that I can install Linux (*buntu) on.
> I refuse to buy one with Windows pre-installed (a matter of principle) and have managed to find
> one offered without an OS.
> The only thing is is that I've never heard of it before. It's a Gigabook M817P N450 2GB 10.1'
> 250GB. I think the parent company is Gericom (German?).
>
> Does anybody know if they are any good and do they run Linux OK?
> Here is a link to the shop's web page that has the details (in Hebrew but all the details are in
> English):
> http://www.goldtop.co.il/show_details.asp?prod_id=29743&catid=919
>
> Any help/advice would be appreciated :-)
>
> Nigel

Entirely unfamiliar with the German netbook but there are other options.
I got an Inspiron Mini from Dell for the wife's business. Came with Ubuntu
pre-installed. It runs as well as anything with an ARM chip. Everything works
with no fuss, including wireless. She's very happy with it, and that is coming
from a windows user. She won't let me install the KDE netbook GUI on it though

There are also linux netbooks from System76 and ZaReason.
http://www.system76.com/product_info.php?cPath=28&products_id=105&osCsid=a ejl3t9laj9fup9uvoiop73730
http://zareason.com/shop/Terra-HD.html

Alan

-
"Ohhhh the boogie-men!"
Stan Hardy

Old 12-26-2010, 06:16 PM
Nigel Ridley

On 12/26/2010 06:46 PM, Alan Dacey Sr. wrote:
> On Sunday, December 26, 2010 11:18:29 am Nigel Ridley wrote:
>> I'm looking for a 10 inch netbook that I can install Linux (*buntu) on.
>> I refuse to buy one with Windows pre-installed (a matter of principle) and have managed to find
>> one offered without an OS.
>> The only thing is is that I've never heard of it before. It's a Gigabook M817P N450 2GB 10.1'
>> 250GB. I think the parent company is Gericom (German?).
>>
>> Does anybody know if they are any good and do they run Linux OK?
>> Here is a link to the shop's web page that has the details (in Hebrew but all the details are in
>> English):
>> http://www.goldtop.co.il/show_details.asp?prod_id=29743&catid=919
>>
>> Any help/advice would be appreciated :-)
>>
>> Nigel
>>

> Entirely unfamiliar with the German netbook but there are other options.
> I got an Inspiron Mini from Dell for the wife's business. Came with Ubuntu
> pre-installed. It runs as well as anything with an ARM chip. Everything works
> with no fuss, including wireless. She's very happy with it, and that is coming
> from a windows user. She won't let me install the KDE netbook GUI on it though
>
> There are also linux netbooks from System76 and ZaReason.
> http://www.system76.com/product_info.php?cPath=28&products_id=105&osCsid=a ejl3t9laj9fup9uvoiop73730
> http://zareason.com/shop/Terra-HD.html
>
> Alan
>
> -
> "Ohhhh the boogie-men!"
> Stan Hardy

Shame we don't have those kind of offerings here in Israel :-(

Nigel

Old 12-26-2010, 08:34 PM
"Alan Dacey Sr."

On Sunday, December 26, 2010 02:16:22 pm Nigel Ridley wrote:
> On 12/26/2010 06:46 PM, Alan Dacey Sr. wrote:
> > On Sunday, December 26, 2010 11:18:29 am Nigel Ridley wrote:
> >> I'm looking for a 10 inch netbook that I can install Linux (*buntu) on.
> >> I refuse to buy one with Windows pre-installed (a matter of principle) and have managed to find
> >> one offered without an OS.
> >> The only thing is is that I've never heard of it before. It's a Gigabook M817P N450 2GB 10.1'
> >> 250GB. I think the parent company is Gericom (German?).
> >>
> >> Does anybody know if they are any good and do they run Linux OK?
> >> Here is a link to the shop's web page that has the details (in Hebrew but all the details are in
> >> English):
> >> http://www.goldtop.co.il/show_details.asp?prod_id=29743&catid=919
> >>
> >> Any help/advice would be appreciated :-)
> >>
> >> Nigel
> >>

> > Entirely unfamiliar with the German netbook but there are other options.
> > I got an Inspiron Mini from Dell for the wife's business. Came with Ubuntu
> > pre-installed. It runs as well as anything with an ARM chip. Everything works
> > with no fuss, including wireless. She's very happy with it, and that is coming
> > from a windows user. She won't let me install the KDE netbook GUI on it though
> >
> > There are also linux netbooks from System76 and ZaReason.
> > http://www.system76.com/product_info.php?cPath=28&products_id=105&osCsid=a ejl3t9laj9fup9uvoiop73730
> > http://zareason.com/shop/Terra-HD.html
> >
> > Alan
> >
> > -
> > "Ohhhh the boogie-men!"
> > Stan Hardy
> >

> Shame we don't have those kind of offerings here in Israel :-(
>
> Nigel

Dell won't ship there? That blows
I remember reading in some list or blog about a vendor who sells bare computers in Europe.
Probably on planet Ubuntu or Kubuntu. They may ship to Israel.
I'll see if I can find it for you.

Alan

Old 12-26-2010, 09:14 PM
David Fletcher

On Sun, 2010-12-26 at 16:34 -0500, Alan Dacey Sr. wrote:

> Dell won't ship there? That blows
> I remember reading in some list or blog about a vendor who sells bare computers in Europe.
> Probably on planet Ubuntu or Kubuntu. They may ship to Israel.
> I'll see if I can find it for you.
>
> Alan

novatech.co.uk sells bare computers.

I've never purchased from them, therefore cannot vouch for their
products, but I know that they've been around for a couple of years at
least.

Dave

Old 12-26-2010, 09:31 PM
Yorvyk