FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Ubuntu > Kubuntu User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 12-25-2010, 09:49 PM
Mark Greenwood
 
Default Has Kubuntu become less stable?

On Saturday 25 Dec 2010 22:31:44 Jeffrey Barish wrote:
> When I first started using Kubuntu a few years ago, I remember reading
> complaints from people about how it had become less stable with
> successive releases. I was mystified by these complaints because I
> found Kubuntu pleasant to use and reliable. However, I was reminded of
> the remarks when I upgraded to 10.04. When 10.10 came out, I did a
> clean installation hoping to eliminate any problems attributable to
> kruft. A few problems did vanish, but I am still amazed by the number
> of problems I am experiencing. I upgraded to KDE 4.5.4 hoping that the
> latest code would solve the problems. It did not. I guess I am going
> to hang on a little longer because there is so much that I like about
> Kubuntu, but I'm wondering whether anyone else has had the same
> experience.
>
> Here's a sampling of some of the problems I am having. The most
> serious is that after running for 2-3 days, dbus-daemon starts
> consuming 100% of CPU and the CPU temperature goes to 85 (it's normally
> around 50). I have to reboot regularly in an effort to forestall this
> problem, but I still fear what could happen to my computer if I don't
> catch the overheating quickly.
>
> An especially annoying problem is that drop-down menus often do not
> appear. I get sort of a ghost of the menu, but no text is visible. I
> have to activate the drop-down over and over before eventually it does
> appear. I have had the X server lock several times. Screen updates
> often do not occur properly. For example, half a window might scroll
> while the other half does not.
>
> KOffice tools are seriously broken. KOffice used to be a joy: simple
> to use and fast. Now it's slow as a dog (I have one file that takes
> about 5 minutes to open); it consumes screen space with a docker that I
> don't use and can't remove. It sometimes insists on scrolling whenever
> I type anything so that the text is no longer visible. Dates cannot be
> formatted (meaning the formatting that I apply disappears when I reopen
> the file). KSpread seems unable to display the grid. KNode was
> missing some icons, but fortunately they have reappeared in the latest
> upgrade. On reboots, KDE still cannot keep track of which desktop some
> programs were on.
>
> And so on. Is it just me, or has anyone else noticed a deterioration
> in stability?
>

I think probably what you're seeing is just the immaturity of KDE4. I went through the same pain with KDE 3.3, 3.4, and the early revisions of 3.5. KDE4 has been a similar story. It's par for the course. KDE4 wasn't even useable until 4.2 came out, in fact I switched to Gnome for 6 months (an unpleasant experience I don't want to repeat). If history repeats itself, as it has a habit of doing, then once the KDE developers have finished developing all the fun new features KDE will start to become stable again. My guess, based on nothing, is that this will happen around KDE 4.8, just in time for KDE 5.0 to start the process all over again :-)

For the record, I'm not seeing any of the problems you describe, with the exception of KOffice which for me is pretty much unuseable, but I definitely would not count KDE4.6 as anything like as stable or reliable as 3.5.4.

Mark

--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
 
Old 12-25-2010, 10:39 PM
user1
 
Default Has Kubuntu become less stable?

> For the record, I'm not seeing any of the problems you describe, with
> the exception of KOffice which for me is pretty much unuseable, but I
> definitely would not count KDE4.6 as anything like as stable or reliable
> as 3.5.4.

I have been using kde since 3.x and has since been using 4.xx but then I
got several problems, kmail did not work properly and I got some constant
akonadi error messages and the setup of kde was difficult, so now I have
left kde.

I have both gnome, kde and unity (netbook) installed, and is now using
the netbook as my default desktop and some kde -and gnome programs, and
that works well for me.

But that's not a good solution because you cannot expect linux newbies to
use kde because of all those small problems and the constant changing of
programs.

Try to follow the articles "Interesting read about the future of Ubuntu"
on the ubuntu users mailing list, which is running just now.



--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
 
Old 12-26-2010, 01:32 AM
uriah heep
 
Default Has Kubuntu become less stable?

On Sat, Dec 25, 2010 at 5:31 PM, Jeffrey Barish <jeff_barish@earthlink.net> wrote:

When I first started using Kubuntu a few years ago, I remember reading

complaints from people about how it had become less stable with

successive releases. *I was mystified by these complaints because I

found Kubuntu pleasant to use and reliable. *However, I was reminded of

the remarks when I upgraded to 10.04. *When 10.10 came out, I did a

clean installation hoping to eliminate any problems attributable to

kruft. *A few problems did vanish, but I am still amazed by the number

of problems I am experiencing. *I upgraded to KDE 4.5.4 hoping that the

latest code would solve the problems. *It did not. *I guess I am going

to hang on a little longer because there is so much that I like about

Kubuntu, but I'm wondering whether anyone else has had the same

experience.



Here's a sampling of some of the problems I am having. *The most

serious is that after running for 2-3 days, dbus-daemon starts

consuming 100% of CPU and the CPU temperature goes to 85 (it's normally

around 50). *I have to reboot regularly in an effort to forestall this

problem, but I still fear what could happen to my computer if I don't

catch the overheating quickly.



An especially annoying problem is that drop-down menus often do not

appear. *I get sort of a ghost of the menu, but no text is visible. *I

have to activate the drop-down over and over before eventually it does

appear. *I have had the X server lock several times. *Screen updates

often do not occur properly. *For example, half a window might scroll

while the other half does not.



KOffice tools are seriously broken. *KOffice used to be a joy: simple

to use and fast. *Now it's slow as a dog (I have one file that takes

about 5 minutes to open); it consumes screen space with a docker that I

don't use and can't remove. *It sometimes insists on scrolling whenever

I type anything so that the text is no longer visible. *Dates cannot be

formatted (meaning the formatting that I apply disappears when I reopen

the file). *KSpread seems unable to display the grid. *KNode was

missing some icons, but fortunately they have reappeared in the latest

upgrade. *On reboots, KDE still cannot keep track of which desktop some

programs were on.



And so on. *Is it just me, or has anyone else noticed a deterioration

in stability?

--

Jeffrey Barish





--
When KDE 4 was first introduced on Kubuntu it was not ready for prime time indeed seemed like an alpha.* It has improved quite a bit.* I tried 10.10 but I found it just to buggy and dropped back to 10.4 LTR which I find to be much more stable.Kde seems to be in rapid development but with 10.4 is stable enough for me to use on a day to day basis.I plan to stay with 10.4 for a while till things sort out more.


Uriah

--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
 
Old 12-26-2010, 05:00 AM
Doug
 
Default Has Kubuntu become less stable?

On 12/25/2010 06:39 PM, user1 wrote:
>> For the record, I'm not seeing any of the problems you describe, with
>> the exception of KOffice which for me is pretty much unuseable, but I
>> definitely would not count KDE4.6 as anything like as stable or reliable
>> as 3.5.4.
> I have been using kde since 3.x and has since been using 4.xx but then I
> got several problems, kmail did not work properly and I got some constant
> akonadi error messages and the setup of kde was difficult, so now I have
> left kde.
>
> I have both gnome, kde and unity (netbook) installed, and is now using
> the netbook as my default desktop and some kde -and gnome programs, and
> that works well for me.
>
> But that's not a good solution because you cannot expect linux newbies to
> use kde because of all those small problems and the constant changing of
> programs.
>
> Try to follow the articles "Interesting read about the future of Ubuntu"
> on the ubuntu users mailing list, which is running just now.
>
>
>
> /snip/
There's KDE and there's KDE. I looked at Kubuntu and puked. I looked at
SuSE 11.x and puked. That was after I already knew that KDE can be made
to work in a civilized fashion. I have been using PCLINUXOS for 5
months now,
in one major and one minor release version, with KDE 4.5.4, and I love
it. (I
don't use KMail, so whatever problems you have with it, I cannot comment on.
It doesn't seem to be part of the standard install or the repo anyway.
Maybe
the developers know something you don't.) (I used KMail up to Suse 10.0
until
it started producing about 10% of the incoming messages in some Asian font,
which was unsalvageable. Goodbye, forever, old KMail and pals. . . .)

Second comment: Ubuntu seems to want to do everything possible to distance
itself from anything that might be familiar. It did that in 10.04 and
10.10, with
putting _two_ systrays on the _top_ and the window control gadgets on the
wrong side. Easily fixed, if and when you can find the fixes, but
still. . . .

Third comment: I have PCLOS , Ubuntu, Debian, and MINT, as well as Win
XP, on a
laptop, and only Win XP and PCLOS can kill the scratchpad when you plug
in a usb
pointing device. (It comes naturally with XP. apparently, and synaptiks
does it for
PCLOS.) No Deb distro or spinoff has synaptiks or anything that works,
altho they
say they do. If I could get it working in MINT I might use that more.

Fifth comment: I tried one of the "four letter" GUIs--I don't remember
if it was
LXDE or the other one--and it would not let me put any icons on the desktop.
I threw that CD out. Any distro that forswears icons on desktop will be
forsworn
by me instantly.

So, somebody asks, why are you on the Kubuntu list? Well, who knew? It
might
have been improved over time, but from what I read, that hasn't happened.
I'm still on the SuSE list for the same reason. My mind isn't
closed--I'm willing
to look at Wayward, or whatever it's called, when they think it's ready
for prime
time.

--doug



--
Blessed are the peacemakers...for they shall be shot at from both sides. --A. M. Greeley


--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
 
Old 12-26-2010, 05:39 AM
"O. Sinclair"
 
Default Has Kubuntu become less stable?

On 26/12/2010 00:31, Jeffrey Barish wrote:
> When I first started using Kubuntu a few years ago, I remember reading
> complaints from people about how it had become less stable with
> successive releases. I was mystified by these complaints because I
> found Kubuntu pleasant to use and reliable. However, I was reminded of
> the remarks when I upgraded to 10.04. When 10.10 came out, I did a
> clean installation hoping to eliminate any problems attributable to
> kruft. A few problems did vanish, but I am still amazed by the number
> of problems I am experiencing. I upgraded to KDE 4.5.4 hoping that the
> latest code would solve the problems. It did not. I guess I am going
> to hang on a little longer because there is so much that I like about
> Kubuntu, but I'm wondering whether anyone else has had the same
> experience.
>
> Here's a sampling of some of the problems I am having. The most
> serious is that after running for 2-3 days, dbus-daemon starts
> consuming 100% of CPU and the CPU temperature goes to 85 (it's normally
> around 50). I have to reboot regularly in an effort to forestall this
> problem, but I still fear what could happen to my computer if I don't
> catch the overheating quickly.
>
> An especially annoying problem is that drop-down menus often do not
> appear. I get sort of a ghost of the menu, but no text is visible. I
> have to activate the drop-down over and over before eventually it does
> appear. I have had the X server lock several times. Screen updates
> often do not occur properly. For example, half a window might scroll
> while the other half does not.
>
> KOffice tools are seriously broken. KOffice used to be a joy: simple
> to use and fast. Now it's slow as a dog (I have one file that takes
> about 5 minutes to open); it consumes screen space with a docker that I
> don't use and can't remove. It sometimes insists on scrolling whenever
> I type anything so that the text is no longer visible. Dates cannot be
> formatted (meaning the formatting that I apply disappears when I reopen
> the file). KSpread seems unable to display the grid. KNode was
> missing some icons, but fortunately they have reappeared in the latest
> upgrade. On reboots, KDE still cannot keep track of which desktop some
> programs were on.
>
> And so on. Is it just me, or has anyone else noticed a deterioration
> in stability?
Well I am on 10.10 with KDE 4.5.4 and I think it is better than 10.04
was, I see none of your described problems. I am not using any Koffice
app though as it clearly is not ready for production and I need to be
able to save in MS office formats.

My only problems has to do with a weird intel video driver (external
monitor headache, not my built-in laptop monitor) and that KMail eats
CPU sometimes (when fetching mail). I did upgrade the kernel though as I
had an issue with the kernel it is delivered with so I am on 2.6.36



--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
 
Old 12-26-2010, 09:03 AM
Georgi Kourtev
 
Default Has Kubuntu become less stable?

On Sunday, December 26, 2010 00:31:44 Jeffrey Barish wrote:
> When I first started using Kubuntu a few years ago, I remember reading
> complaints from people about how it had become less stable with
> successive releases. I was mystified by these complaints because I
> found Kubuntu pleasant to use and reliable. However, I was reminded of
> the remarks when I upgraded to 10.04. When 10.10 came out, I did a
> clean installation hoping to eliminate any problems attributable to
> kruft. A few problems did vanish, but I am still amazed by the number
> of problems I am experiencing. I upgraded to KDE 4.5.4 hoping that the
> latest code would solve the problems. It did not. I guess I am going
> to hang on a little longer because there is so much that I like about
> Kubuntu, but I'm wondering whether anyone else has had the same
> experience.

First I would like to share that I am rather user of a computer than someone
who is into the very depth of it. Installed by chance Kubuntu some 2-3 yera
ago and by far I found it much more user-friendly, adjustable and less
consuming by any other OS I've tried before. I did a fresh install on my main
machine that was upgraded only sice the times of 8.04. The same reason --
thought that after some years of using (and also trying things) it started to
run not so smoothly. Got now some of the issue you are observing.
>
> Here's a sampling of some of the problems I am having. The most
> serious is that after running for 2-3 days, dbus-daemon starts
> consuming 100% of CPU and the CPU temperature goes to 85 (it's normally
> around 50). I have to reboot regularly in an effort to forestall this
> problem, but I still fear what could happen to my computer if I don't
> catch the overheating quickly.

This I have noticed by the more often switch on of the fan.
>
> An especially annoying problem is that drop-down menus often do not
> appear. I get sort of a ghost of the menu, but no text is visible. I
> have to activate the drop-down over and over before eventually it does
> appear. I have had the X server lock several times. Screen updates
> often do not occur properly. For example, half a window might scroll
> while the other half does not.
This is particularly annoying. I attributed it to the visual effects that are
enabled and some people of this list advised to use different ones. Indeed
worked,but I lost some of the beauty of the KDE. Now the effects are on and I
have to scroll up and down several times before being able to see what is on
the screen...
>
> KOffice tools are seriously broken. KOffice used to be a joy: simple
> to use and fast. Now it's slow as a dog (I have one file that takes
> about 5 minutes to open); it consumes screen space with a docker that I
> don't use and can't remove. It sometimes insists on scrolling whenever
> I type anything so that the text is no longer visible. Dates cannot be
> formatted (meaning the formatting that I apply disappears when I reopen
> the file). KSpread seems unable to display the grid. KNode was
> missing some icons, but fortunately they have reappeared in the latest
> upgrade. On reboots, KDE still cannot keep track of which desktop some
> programs were on.

Don't use that as I primarily need .doc format for documents.
>
> And so on. Is it just me, or has anyone else noticed a deterioration
> in stability?


--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
 
Old 12-26-2010, 09:34 AM
Mark Greenwood
 
Default Has Kubuntu become less stable?

On Sunday 26 Dec 2010 06:00:22 Doug wrote:

>
> Third comment: I have PCLOS , Ubuntu, Debian, and MINT, as well as Win
> XP, on a
> laptop, and only Win XP and PCLOS can kill the scratchpad when you plug
> in a usb
> pointing device. (It comes naturally with XP. apparently, and synaptiks
> does it for
> PCLOS.) No Deb distro or spinoff has synaptiks or anything that works,
> altho they

Rubbish. I have synaptiks installed on Kubutnu 10.10 and it disables the trackpad exactly like you say.

Nice rant, hope you feel better now :-)

Mark

> say they do. If I could get it working in MINT I might use that more.
>
> Fifth comment: I tried one of the "four letter" GUIs--I don't remember
> if it was
> LXDE or the other one--and it would not let me put any icons on the desktop.
> I threw that CD out. Any distro that forswears icons on desktop will be
> forsworn
> by me instantly.
>
> So, somebody asks, why are you on the Kubuntu list? Well, who knew? It
> might
> have been improved over time, but from what I read, that hasn't happened.
> I'm still on the SuSE list for the same reason. My mind isn't
> closed--I'm willing
> to look at Wayward, or whatever it's called, when they think it's ready
> for prime
> time.
>
> --doug
>
>
>
>

--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
 
Old 12-26-2010, 02:28 PM
Waleed Hamra
 
Default Has Kubuntu become less stable?

On 12/26/2010 12:31 AM, Jeffrey Barish wrote:
> When I first started using Kubuntu a few years ago, I remember reading
> complaints from people about how it had become less stable with
> successive releases. I was mystified by these complaints because I
> found Kubuntu pleasant to use and reliable. However, I was reminded of
> the remarks when I upgraded to 10.04. When 10.10 came out, I did a
> clean installation hoping to eliminate any problems attributable to
> kruft. A few problems did vanish, but I am still amazed by the number
> of problems I am experiencing. I upgraded to KDE 4.5.4 hoping that the
> latest code would solve the problems. It did not. I guess I am going
> to hang on a little longer because there is so much that I like about
> Kubuntu, but I'm wondering whether anyone else has had the same
> experience.
>

i just an upgrade from lucid to maverick yesterday... apart from
lsb_release telling me i'm on maverick, i dont have the foggiest clue as
to what changed, everything looks the same, afterall, it's KDE changes
that are usually noticeably, but since i had the beta PPA enabled, i was
and still am on KDE 4.5.3.

> Here's a sampling of some of the problems I am having. The most
> serious is that after running for 2-3 days, dbus-daemon starts
> consuming 100% of CPU and the CPU temperature goes to 85 (it's normally
> around 50). I have to reboot regularly in an effort to forestall this
> problem, but I still fear what could happen to my computer if I don't
> catch the overheating quickly.

doesnt seem to happen here, but the max i've tried is some 36 hours, and
computer was still very stable. instead of full reboot, try logging out
and in (an X restart).
>
> An especially annoying problem is that drop-down menus often do not
> appear. I get sort of a ghost of the menu, but no text is visible. I
> have to activate the drop-down over and over before eventually it does
> appear. I have had the X server lock several times. Screen updates
> often do not occur properly. For example, half a window might scroll
> while the other half does not.

this looks like display driver trouble. in the past, my old nvidia
drivers used to show absolute garbage of pictures and icons and stuff
that it had rendered in the past few minutes in every menu i try to
open, the menu stay in this mess for some 10 seconds, and the appear
normally after it gets re-rendered. but since nvidia version 200+
(currently using 260, official package), such problems never happened again.

>
> KOffice tools are seriously broken. KOffice used to be a joy: simple
> to use and fast. Now it's slow as a dog (I have one file that takes
> about 5 minutes to open); it consumes screen space with a docker that I
> don't use and can't remove. It sometimes insists on scrolling whenever
> I type anything so that the text is no longer visible. Dates cannot be
> formatted (meaning the formatting that I apply disappears when I reopen
> the file). KSpread seems unable to display the grid. KNode was
> missing some icons, but fortunately they have reappeared in the latest
> upgrade. On reboots, KDE still cannot keep track of which desktop some
> programs were on.

never used koffice except for a brief period few months ago, i recall it
being very unstable and bugged, not sure how it is now, i use openoffice
(or go-oo, whatever the ubuntu repos are providing). but then, koffice
is just a seperate program, cant say KDE is bad, because one of their
suites is bad, the underlying system is quite stable in 4.5, it has been
so since 4.3, whatever trouble you are exeriencing, is mostly bad
programs misbehaving with KDE. KDE introduced a vast revolutionary
system, that many programmers still are not sure how to fully utilize,
resulting in bad software that interacts wrongly with KDE and causing
trouble.
>
> And so on. Is it just me, or has anyone else noticed a deterioration
> in stability?


--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
 
Old 12-26-2010, 07:26 PM
Doug
 
Default Has Kubuntu become less stable?

On 12/26/2010 05:34 AM, Mark Greenwood wrote:
> On Sunday 26 Dec 2010 06:00:22 Doug wrote:
>
>> Third comment: I have PCLOS , Ubuntu, Debian, and MINT, as well as Win
>> XP, on a
>> laptop, and only Win XP and PCLOS can kill the scratchpad when you plug
>> in a usb
>> pointing device. (It comes naturally with XP. apparently, and synaptiks
>> does it for
>> PCLOS.) No Deb distro or spinoff has synaptiks or anything that works,
>> altho they
> Rubbish. I have synaptiks installed on Kubutnu 10.10 and it disables the trackpad exactly like you say.
>
> Nice rant, hope you feel better now :-)
>
> Mark
>
>> say they do. If I could get it working in MINT I might use that more.
>>
>>
/snip/
Of course it works--it's a KDE product, like Kubuntu. I said a DEB distro.
--doug

. Greeley


--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
 
Old 12-26-2010, 08:24 PM
Mark Greenwood
 
Default Has Kubuntu become less stable?

On Sunday 26 Dec 2010 20:26:24 Doug wrote:

> >> pointing device. (It comes naturally with XP. apparently, and synaptiks
> >> does it for
> >> PCLOS.) No Deb distro or spinoff has synaptiks or anything that works,
> >> altho they
> > Rubbish. I have synaptiks installed on Kubutnu 10.10 and it disables the trackpad exactly like you say.
> >
> > Nice rant, hope you feel better now :-)
> >
> > Mark
> >
> >> say they do. If I could get it working in MINT I might use that more.
> >>
> >>
> /snip/
> Of course it works--it's a KDE product, like Kubuntu. I said a DEB distro.
> --doug

You said, and I quote, "No Deb distro or spinoff". Kubuntu is not a "KDE product", it's a distribution based on Ubuntu, which is a Debian-derived distribution. Kubuntu is therefore, in your specific parlance, a "Deb distro".

I have Kubuntu installed on my computer. I did "sudo apt-get install synaptik". This made synaptik inhabit my computer and the magic touchpad switchoff genie was installed. I don't know how this stuff works but there's magic dust involved somewhere I'm sure. Anyway, therefore, a "Deb distro" has been demonstrated to have synaptiks. Well, OK, I've demonstrated that is has 'synaptik' but it's definitely "something that works" which fulfills your requirements.

I rest my case, m'lud. I'd love to continue this thoroughly illuminating discussion but I have to go and sandpaper my beard for a week.

Mark

>
> . Greeley
>
>
>

--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 06:47 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org