Old 12-24-2010, 07:51 AM
Dotan Cohen

Default Save to remove these packages?

In Kubuntu 10.10 with the Backports repo enabled Aptitude wants to
remove some packages to perform a dist-upgrade. It looks safe to me,
but I would appreciate a second opinion. Thanks:

Remove the following packages:
1) apturl-kde
I use aptitude to install software, I don't click on links online to
install software.

2) kpackagekit
I use aptitude to install software.

3) kubuntu-debug-installer
I can live without debugging.

4) kubuntu-desktop
Seems to be only a metapackage, the description says that it is safe to remove.

5) kubuntu-firefox-installer
Firefox is already installed.

6) kubuntu-notification-helper
This might actually be a problem. Will I get notifications and see
file transfers in another way?

7) language-selector-qt
This also might be a problem. I have three keyboard layouts, will I
still be able to use them?

8) libqapt-runtime
Will I still be able to install software? Or am I misunderstanding the
purpose of this package?

9) qapt-batch
Will I still be able to install software? Or am I misunderstanding the
purpose of this package?

10) software-properties-kde
I can edit /etc/apt/ by hand in vim, no problem here.

11) ubufox
Description says that it can be safely removed.

12) xul-ext-ubufox
Description says that it can be safely removed.

Thanks in advance for any advice. Note that this is my own personal system.

--
Dotan Cohen

http://gibberish.co.il
http://what-is-what.com

Old 12-24-2010, 09:04 AM
Reinhold Rumberger

Am Freitag 24 Dezember 2010, um 09:51:20 schrieb Dotan Cohen:
> In Kubuntu 10.10 with the Backports repo enabled Aptitude wants to
> remove some packages to perform a dist-upgrade. It looks safe to me,
> but I would appreciate a second opinion. Thanks:
>
> Remove the following packages:

<snip>

> 3) kubuntu-debug-installer
> I can live without debugging.

If you want to report bugs to KDE, you may want to keep this.

> 4) kubuntu-desktop
> Seems to be only a metapackage, the description says that it is safe to
> remove.

It's safe to remove unless you want to upgrade. And by that I don't only mean
dist-upgrades...
It doesn't really use up any disk space and normally shouldn't be in the way,
so if you can, leave this.

<snip>

> 6) kubuntu-notification-helper
> This might actually be a problem. Will I get notifications and see
> file transfers in another way?

This has nothing to do with KDE's notification functionality. It simply
provides notifications of updates, required reboots, etc. (see package
description)

> 7) language-selector-qt
> This also might be a problem. I have three keyboard layouts, will I
> still be able to use them?

This allows you to set the *language*, not the keyboard layout.

<snip>

The rest I personally consider safe to uninstall, but then I don't use the
(crappy) kpackagekit but rather aptitude. :-)
As a general hint: read the package descriptions, they tend to be quite
helpful.

--Reinhold

Old 12-24-2010, 09:12 AM
Dotan Cohen

On Fri, Dec 24, 2010 at 12:04, Reinhold Rumberger <rrumberger@web.de> wrote:
>> 6) * * * kubuntu-notification-helper
>> This might actually be a problem. Will I get notifications and see
>> file transfers in another way?
>
> This has nothing to do with KDE's notification functionality. It simply
> provides notifications of updates, required reboots, etc. (see package
> description)

I did in fact read the description, but I may be a little sleep
deprived. I now understand it to be the Kubuntu notifier in the System
Tray (not the "i" icon). Is that so?

>> 7) * * * language-selector-qt
>> This also might be a problem. I have three keyboard layouts, will I
>> still be able to use them?
>
> This allows you to set the *language*, not the keyboard layout.

Ah, I see. Actually, I sometimes switch between my native language and
English at the application level (one of the reasons that I love KDE).
Is this all that I would miss? I suppose that I could set everything
in English and live that way for some time.

Thanks!

--
Dotan Cohen

http://gibberish.co.il
http://what-is-what.com

Old 12-24-2010, 09:47 AM
Reinhold Rumberger

Am Freitag 24 Dezember 2010, um 11:12:06 schrieb Dotan Cohen:
> On Fri, Dec 24, 2010 at 12:04, Reinhold Rumberger <rrumberger@web.de> wrote:
> >> 6) kubuntu-notification-helper
> >> This might actually be a problem. Will I get notifications and see
> >> file transfers in another way?
> >
> > This has nothing to do with KDE's notification functionality. It simply
> > provides notifications of updates, required reboots, etc. (see package
> > description)
>
> I did in fact read the description, but I may be a little sleep
> deprived. I now understand it to be the Kubuntu notifier in the System
> Tray (not the "i" icon). Is that so?

Pretty much. I believe there is also a module in system settings that allows
you to choose which messages you see that would be removed. (Meaning the
messages sent by the Kubuntu notifier, not what you can choose by right-
clicking on the i icon.)

> >> 7) language-selector-qt
> >> This also might be a problem. I have three keyboard layouts, will I
> >> still be able to use them?
> >
> > This allows you to set the *language*, not the keyboard layout.
>
> Ah, I see. Actually, I sometimes switch between my native language and
> English at the application level (one of the reasons that I love KDE).
> Is this all that I would miss? I suppose that I could set everything
> in English and live that way for some time.

Again, two different things. The KDE language settings don't come into it
(much). This thing is made for K/Ubuntu language packs and allows you to
select which ones to install on your system. It shouldn't influence your
ability to select any KDE application's current language.

--Reinhold