Old 12-21-2010, 07:09 PM
ray burke

Default Kubuntu 8.04 partitions denied

Can anyone help?
My problem has been for awhile now, as I have 3 partitions with my kubuntu 8.04,
sdb1=18gb /media, sdb2=20gb /home and 1gb swap, but only the 20gb
/home mounts auto when booted up and the sdb1 18gb /media dosen't
mount auto and when I try to mount, permission is denied.
The same happens with my remote usb hdd drive, which is a clone copy
for backup.
The sdh1 permission is denied when I try to mount but the sdh2 mount
auto, so how can I change it these to mount?

ray

Old 12-21-2010, 11:15 PM
Reinhold Rumberger

Am Dienstag 21 Dezember 2010, um 21:09:42 schrieb ray burke:
> Can anyone help?
> My problem has been for awhile now, as I have 3 partitions with my kubuntu
> 8.04, sdb1=18gb /media, sdb2=20gb /home and 1gb swap, but only the 20gb
> /home mounts auto when booted up and the sdb1 18gb /media dosen't
> mount auto and when I try to mount, permission is denied.
> The same happens with my remote usb hdd drive, which is a clone copy
> for backup.
> The sdh1 permission is denied when I try to mount but the sdh2 mount
> auto, so how can I change it these to mount?

For starters, you could try to post what command you use for mounting. Also,
filesystems are not without consequence. Until the a couple of general tips:
- Don't use /media as a mount point. External media will be mounted to
/media/* directories, causing panic and confusion... ;-)
Use /mnt (or even better, a subdirectory of either /mnt or /media).
- Unless otherwise specified in /etc/fstab, only root can mount/unmount
manually.
- Only partitions that are specified to be mounted at boot time will actually
be mounted during boot. Did you make sure the proper options are set in
/etc/fstab?

--Reinhold

Old 12-22-2010, 06:49 AM
ray burke

On Wed, Dec 22, 2010 at 11:15 AM, Reinhold Rumberger <rrumberger@web.de> wrote:
> Am Dienstag 21 Dezember 2010, um 21:09:42 schrieb ray burke:
>> Can anyone help?
>> My problem has been for awhile now, as I have 3 partitions with my kubuntu
>> 8.04, sdb1=18gb /media, sdb2=20gb /home and 1gb swap, but only the 20gb
>> /home mounts auto when booted up and the sdb1 18gb /media dosen't
>> mount auto and when I try to mount, permission is denied.
>> The same happens with my remote usb hdd drive, which is a clone copy
>> for backup.
>> The sdh1 permission is denied when I try to mount but the sdh2 mount
>> auto, so how can I change it these to mount?
>
> For starters, you could try to post what command you use for mounting. Also,
> filesystems are not without consequence. Until the a couple of general tips:
> *- Don't use /media as a mount point. External media will be mounted to
> * /media/* directories, causing panic and confusion... ;-)
> * Use /mnt (or even better, a subdirectory of either /mnt or /media).
> *- Unless otherwise specified in /etc/fstab, only root can mount/unmount
> * manually.
> *- Only partitions that are specified to be mounted at boot time will actually
> * be mounted during boot. Did you make sure the proper options are set in
> * /etc/fstab?
>
> *--Reinhold

Reinhold,

How do I set the /etc/fstab withythe proper options? also I didnt
mount the sdb1 with option of media, as it tries to mount with that?,
I also did in a terminal window sudo mount /dev/sdb1/, and posting my
command is only when the usb icon is shown when the usb drive is
switched on a window shows how to mount the partition and I select in
a window, then denies me to mount?

ray

Old 12-22-2010, 07:41 AM
Reinhold Rumberger

Am Mittwoch 22 Dezember 2010, um 08:49:32 schrieb ray burke:
> On Wed, Dec 22, 2010 at 11:15 AM, Reinhold Rumberger <rrumberger@web.de>
wrote:
> > Am Dienstag 21 Dezember 2010, um 21:09:42 schrieb ray burke:
> >> Can anyone help?
> >> My problem has been for awhile now, as I have 3 partitions with my
> >> kubuntu 8.04, sdb1=18gb /media, sdb2=20gb /home and 1gb swap, but only
> >> the 20gb /home mounts auto when booted up and the sdb1 18gb /media
> >> dosen't mount auto and when I try to mount, permission is denied.
> >> The same happens with my remote usb hdd drive, which is a clone copy
> >> for backup.
> >> The sdh1 permission is denied when I try to mount but the sdh2 mount
> >> auto, so how can I change it these to mount?
> >
> > For starters, you could try to post what command you use for mounting.
> > Also, filesystems are not without consequence. Until the a couple of
> > general tips: - Don't use /media as a mount point. External media will
> > be mounted to /media/* directories, causing panic and confusion... ;-)
> > Use /mnt (or even better, a subdirectory of either /mnt or /media).
> > - Unless otherwise specified in /etc/fstab, only root can mount/unmount
> > manually.
> > - Only partitions that are specified to be mounted at boot time will
> > actually be mounted during boot. Did you make sure the proper options
> > are set in /etc/fstab?
> >
> > --Reinhold
> >
> > --
>
> Reinhold,
>
> How do I set the /etc/fstab withythe proper options?

(see man mount)
To allow automounting at boot time, make sure the option "noauto" isn't
present. To allow normal users to mount, add the option "user". To allow them
to also unmount, make that "users".

> also I didnt
> mount the sdb1 with option of media, as it tries to mount with that?,

I'm not quite sure what you're trying to say here?

> I also did in a terminal window sudo mount /dev/sdb1/,

/dev/sdb1 isn't a directory, so this wouldn't work.
You could try "sudo mount /dev/sdb1 /mnt" and post any errors here.

> and posting my
> command is only when the usb icon is shown when the usb drive is
> switched on a window shows how to mount the partition and I select in
> a window, then denies me to mount?

I'm not really understanding what you're trying to say here, either...

--Reinhold